Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Tucker's Little Battle


Tucker is recovering from his surgery, though he has some way to go yet. He must now eat a special food and dislikes the two varieties available, and tries to get to the other cats’ regular food whenever possible. He gobbles it as if he’s starving, and it makes me sad to have to turn him away and provide him with food he simply doesn’t want. He doesn’t drink enough water right now, so I have to use a syringe to force a little water into him. He wears a plastic collar when I am not watching him, and that depresses him. He lies very still, doing nothing, when that is on his neck. But at least that will come off eventually.

We go back to the veterinarian next week to have remains of his dissolving stitches taken out and his progress assessed. I hope the collar can come off. He’ll be free to clean his wound as he sees fit and, as we all know, a cat’s tongue can be pretty rough on their skin, and there’s no fur there at the moment to protect it.

But I can still raise a purr from my roly poly from time to time. He showed some interest in playing and was happy for a few minutes, but his heart wasn’t in it. He has to endure a little more before we see the beginning of the end of this episode, and in some aspects, it will continue for the rest of his life. It’s unfair that this terrible ordeal had to occur to Tucker, but then to whom would it be fair? At least Tucker is co-operative in the process and suffers the indignities, discomforts and pain like a trouper.

I want to thank all those who have wished my cat well and have expressed hopes for his rapid recovery. The advice given by those who have commented is also appreciated, and helpful. It’s good to know that others are supportive of Tucker and his fight.


16 comments:

  1. Poor Tucker - we hope you get a good report from the v-e-t next week and the collar comes off....those things are evil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Tucker! We just read the previous two posts as we had missed this. (We have missed a lot of posts lately). We are glad he is recovering and hope he can do without his collar once the stitches are removed. We send him lots of big purrs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh Tucker, we didn't know about your operation. We sure are sending you tons of purrs that you will be feeling much better really soon. I bet that does hurt but it beats being blocked. You take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have both been in my thoughts. I lost a cat due to a bladder rupture even though I took him in at first notice of an issue. I miss him terribly. There is some justice that your little one will survive. I am glad of this. I hope for a speedy recovery and that all the new things that need adapting to will come smoothly. Give your little sausage kitty a hug for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tucker. We didn't know you were having problems and had to have an operation. We hope you heal quickly and are feeling good soon.

    Our mom has a friend whose cat had to have this same operation. This was a few years ago and he has done very well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hugs for Tucker! Still purring for him! It gets better from here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are purring for Tucker, poor fellow. When Mica Moo had an operation, she really appreciated scratches and playing. The playing not so much in the beginning, but more so as she got better. We hope he feels better soon. There may be special foods online that he would like better than the ones you have now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good thoughts go out for Tucker. He looks like such a sweet fella. I hope this is the last ordeal for him for a long time. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hang in there, Tucker. I look forward to hearing about your roly-poliness being back in fine form. You're my favorite 4-legged sausage cat. Online, anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is Tucker doing better since our last visit? We're purring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tucker is indeed doing better. He becomes morose when I put the cone on him, but who wouldn't. Otherwise, he is in very good spirits, purring and playing, though I try not be make the latter too active, considering his condition. In the past, his emotional state has suffered when he's had surgery, but this time, he is doing very well. Physically, I think he is recovering well, too, though I will find out how right or wrong I am on Wednesday, when I take him back to the veterinary. Thank you for asking about him.

      Delete
  11. Poor Tucker. Hang in there, buddy! We're pulling for you and know your good spirits will see you through.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor Tucker. I am glad he is recovering well though.

    I had two boys block with urinary crystals. There was talk of doing a PU on my Jack because his urethra is so small and he was particularly sensitive to getting crystals. I was fortunate enough to be able to switch him off urinary food (which he didn't like either) on to a low carbohydrate high protein food (I actually feed raw) and he is doing very well. He did have one relapse after getting into some dry food I brought home for the foster kittens.

    By feeding a more meat based diet it naturally keeps his urine acidic so I don't have to give him the Rx food which he didn't much like either (which is saying quite a bit since he will eat almost anything)

    I'm totally available if you want to talk about food. I can also point you to some other resources if you want. Just an alternative to think of if you want it..

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are purring fur Tucker. I was wondering how he is doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you to all who have asked about Tucker. I hope to have a new article published about him in the next day or so.

      Delete