Thursday, August 14, 2014

The Water Torture


Tungsten has health problems, but she is doing well in coping with them. She has hyperthyroidism and for that she receives medicine, rubbed twice a day into the inside of her ears.

She also has kidney problems. They are the sort that may be considered serious but are not affecting her too much right now. Cats don't get enough moisture at the best of times, so to help her water-consumption, I use a syringe to shoot water into her: twelve millilitres three times a day, four on days that I have off. It seems to be working. I took her to the veterinary a couple of months ago because she was sick. That turned out to be a more or less ordinary illness caused by a germ. With the help of antibiotics, it passed rapidly. I had the doctor run blood and urine tests on the tiny terror, just to keep my views of her condition current. The doctor had not treated Tungsten before, and told me that if she (the doctor) had not read her (Tungsten’s) records, she (the doctor) would not have thought she (Tungsten) had had any problems with her (Tungsten’s) kidneys. I (me) liked hearing that.

But the orange one still gets her water treatment. Three or four times a day, I jet little streams of water into her mouth. She doesn’t like it but doesn’t fight me, either. The expression she gives me isn’t the one in the picture below. It’s difficult to take a photograph while holding a cat and injecting water into her mouth. But she looks at me each time with the same question in her innocent little face.

“Why are you doing this to me? I drink water. You know I drink water. You turn on the tap for me. In fact, I drank water just minutes ago. You saw me. You were there. Why the extra water? I’m not thirsty right now. When I am, I’ll let you know. I’ll just end up putting most of this into the litter-box anyway. I think I have to go there now. This is quite embarrassing.”

If she could understand me, I’d explain that it is helping her, and I want her to live as long as I do. Well, I tell her that anyway. But I’m not sure she’s listening by that point.


12 comments:

  1. Tungsten is listening and by her action or inaction of NOT fighting you while you give her extra water tells me she understand you are helping her feel better. But she still doesn't like it. It's like as a child having to take our medicine. It may have been good for you like Mother said but it tasted awful and you didn't want it. Not that water tastes awful it's just Tungsten is doing something not of her making. I am glad to hear her values are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If our human tried to force water into us, we'd give her more than just a perturbed look.

    Just sayin'.

    Nicki & Derry

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a good Daddy to those cats. That is amazing that you made her kidneys get better. Well done. I bet she does give you funny looks. But that makes it all worth while. So glad she is doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nope - not listening - not with that look on her face. :) what a good report from the v-e-t and glad Tungsten is doing so well

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is good that Tungsten's kidney tests were good. I am lucky that Flynn drinks a good amount of water, always has since he was a kitten and Eric did too.
    When I took him to the vet for weight loss all his blood test results were good. I weigh him once a month now and his weight has stabilised at around 11.5lbs. He used to be around 13.5lbs, much smaller than Eric who was 23lbs at his heaviest and 19lbs at his fittest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tungsten and you have an amazing relationship you know :) Your dedication to her and her ability to understand even if she doesn't like it is wonderful. Hope you do have many more wonderful years together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your compliments. Tungsten and I do have a relationship that I don't with the the others, however close I may be with them.

      Delete
  7. A little bit of good news from the vet makes me happy. My Jessie gives me quite the look when I rub mer medicines in her ears. From, Jessica and Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a wonderful cat dad. She probably knows by your gentle touch that you are trying to help her. I cannot imagine any of my cats allowing me to do that.
    My cats eat wet food and I try to mix in some water or stock to increase fluid intake. I have given sub Q fluids to 7 cats over the years. I'm always looking for ways to keep the needle at bay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lucky with Tungsten, and with Tucker, too. They are cooperative with regard to medicine. Others are a different story, as you may read in my next article...

      Delete
  9. Tungsten obviously knows you mean to do well by her, even if she doesn't care for your ways.

    What a sweet girl she is, love the photo of her on your knee.(no claws!)

    ReplyDelete