Monday, September 8, 2014

Kola Goes Around in Circles


Several foster-cats ago, I bought a toy for my beasts. I think it is called a Track-ball. I’d heard many good things about it. I brought it home, and none of the animals knew what to do with it. I think they still don’t. Periodically (and I’m using the term as geologists and palaeontologists use it to describe the eons of Earth’s history), one of my cats will knock the ball about. Renn will roll it around, jump about a bit then walk off. If Tucker is lying next to the toy, he will absently paw at it. And Tungsten uses the cardboard in the centre to scratch at while she’s stretching. That’s how it remained until Kola came to visit.

He doesn’t play with it all the time, or even every day. But when he does, he has a great deal of fun with it. He'll throw the ball about in its groove with frenetic energy, jumping over the toy, then running away, only to rush back at it with renewed violence. Then he will swat the ball some more and repeat the process. Sometimes, the Track-ball will be pushed all over the kitchen/dining area.

Kola is eleven years old, but he has a great deal of energy and vitality. He likes to fight with a string toy, and he will flip about like a stranded carp attempting to grab it. He also chases the fuzzy mice in the back parlour, which is his room. Recently, I found eight of them under the ottoman. I felt as though I had been feeding a slot-machine in Las Vegas, giving him more and more little fuzzy mice to play with.

My newest foster-cat has much of the kitten left in him, as much playfulness, as my Tucker, but with much more energy. It’s entertaining just to watch him entertain himself.






11 comments:

  1. He looks like such a love. Thanks for this post, it made me smile, and I so needed something to smile about today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is lovely to see a cat really enjoying playing with a favourite toy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we have one of those over here for the foster kittens and they love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have one of those and we hardly ever play with it anymore. Maybe we should give it to the shelter so the kitties there can get some enjoyment out of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love Kola! Thanks so much for sharing today :) He really is having a blast isn't he :) Marty has two of them and used to be obsessed. Now about the time I think it is time to put them away for a bit, he starts playing with them again and will sit in the middle of one then the other spinning the ball, stopping it, then sending it sailing the other way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't realize Cola was eleven. I'm mad for senior cats! He certainly is a delight. I guess he's not really a senior, he's a middle aged man in his prime! Hugs for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would only adopt older cats now. Young cats are good, but older ones are ready to settle down, and are established. And so many more are in need of good homes than are younger ones.

      Delete
  7. He's such a sweet boy! I love it when the older cats play. Sasha has a rubber toy he loves to toss around, He always loses it under the couch so he has to wait until I retrieve it.

    I have something like this toy without the cardboard in the center and while the cats played it when they were kittens, it's now totally ignored.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have one of those and about three of the cats here love playing with it. Usually the younger cats like to bat it around. Glad Kola likes it. Happy Wednesday to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a handsome cat he is. We can tell by the pictures he really enjoys playing with the track ball. I love seeing cats still loving to play with toys like that after they are passed the kitten stage.

    Thank you so much for thinking of us during this sad time of having to say goodbye to our sweet Patches. Hugs and nose kisses

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is great that Kola gives it his all bless his kitty heart. Our track ball thingie also was very lonely until Einstein found it. Now it gets a daily work out

    ReplyDelete