Friday, April 27, 2018

Moving in the Right Direction

It was time to weigh the beasts again yesterday, and I was pleased with the results. Everyone moved in the right direction, except for Josie, of whom more presently.

3rd March, 2018
Josie: 5.79 kg
Renn: 7.71 kg
Tucker: 7.82 kg
Cammie: 4.37 kg
Parker: 8.15 kg

26th April, 2018
Josie: 5.71 kg (12.59 lbs)
Renn: 7.44 kg (16.4 lbs)
Tucker: 7.35 kg (16.2 lbs)
Cammie: 4.54 kg (10 lbs)
Parker: 7.84 kg (17.28 lbs)

You will note from the comparison of poundage that all the cats have lost weight except for Cammie. I wanted to see her gain something; whenever she has one of her vomiting episodes, she loses weight quickly, and I don’t mind seeing her with a bit of reserve, just in case. So far, though, the new food seems to be agreeing with her, and, since she likes it, and I feed her whenever she asks for some, she is putting on a little heft. I think her weight is good.

The boys have all lost poundage, at least a quarter-kilogram; Tucker has lost almost twice that. I am pleased at this, too, because the two diabetes boys needed to thin out somewhat. Renn didn’t require reduction, but even so, he retains a healthy, muscular build. Naturally, I will keep an eye on them to make sure they don’t lose too much, especially too much too rapidly. It was pointed out to me, however, that the sugar twins’ weight loss would have an effect on their blood-glucose numbers, which may be the cause of their recent, unpredictable test-results. This is something about which I will speak to their doctors.

And as for my Chubs, who hasn’t really been much of a chubs for quite a while, I continue to be vigilant regarding her poundage, as she has been losing, if not steadily, then constantly, over many months. But in the seven weeks between the previous weighing and this one, she has lost a mere eight one-hundredth of a kilogram. This may, in fact, be no more than a meal she had eaten just prior to the last measuring. I am not too concerned about the Great White at this time.

I’m satisfied with the results of yesterday’s placement of cats on scales. It was remarked that all of the cats are looking healthy (Tucker in particular looked ‘smaller’), and they are all behaving as if they felt well. As much as I would like to see Josie’s weight remain static, I think all are heading in the right direction.





12 comments:

  1. guyz.....we gotta agreez with dad...ya all LOOK GRATE !!!!! N bee for we forgetz; pleez ta tell dad ta keep sum kitten food on hand, kibble and ore canned, as itz high in cal o reez...just in case sum one mite knead a "boost" ....happee week end two all ~~~~~~~~♥♥♥☺☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad everyone's weight is moving in the right direction. As you say with Josie, the loss is so small that it may just be the difference in what she had already eaten that day.
    When Flynn was so ill and losing weight drastically I weighed him twice a week. Occasionally the loss would be a more frightening amount than usual so I would weigh him again a few hours later and 9 times out of 10 it wasn't as severe as earlier.
    Maybe if you had weighed Josie a couple of hours later the loss may not have been there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weight gives us yet another thing to worry about with them.

      Delete
  3. It is indeed good news that everyone's weight is headed in the right direction. But more important, everyone looks not only healthy, but very content and happy. You're doing a great job, John!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Their happiness is more important to me than their slenderness.

      Delete
  4. Everyone does look great and I'll echo Roberta that they all look quite content and happy too, which is exactly how they should be. I'd forgotten just how big most of your cats are, though! (Big of bone, sturdy builds, not fat.) Both Nicki and Derry are close to Josie in weight--fine for Nicki, too much for Derry. Well, he's probably over 6 kg now, I'll find out next week when goes to the vet--he *does* need to lose weight. Maybe you'd like to take him for a while and put him through a rigorous regime to get fit. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I knew what I'd done, I'd pass on the secret! Then again, they may rebound next week...

      Delete
  5. Love the advice from the Trout Towne Tabbies that if needed when my Katie ever needs that advice. Right now she is on the robust side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They all definitely look happy! Have a great weekend.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do you weigh them? Good news that each of them is healthy and doing well in their weights. They do all look content. Have a wonderful weekend and I hope spring is coming your way soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To weight them, I used a scale that the PAW Society has. It's the same sort that veterinarians use.

      Delete
  8. I am glad everyone is doing well. I enjoyed the photos of everyone.

    ReplyDelete