Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Don't You Have a Home to Go To?

I don’t have outsider cats like I used to. As I mentioned in an entry not long ago, I haven’t seen Sable and Sablette in months. Cecil, the new fellow, is actually rare in his appearances. Not counting Winkin, Blinkin and Nod, the raccoons - who sometimes bring a fourth (their cousin, Floyd), and the new skunk, Thaddeus, that leaves Finn.

Finn likes it at my place. I think he has adopted it as his summer residence. He almost always is waiting at the screen door come meal-times, which he has learned to mark on his schedule. In between, he sometimes lies in the tube-house; often, he takes his leisure in the shade of a tree not far away. This allows him to be close at hand for food at the cosy apartment. At one point on the weekend, I announced to everyone that it was ’snack-time’; I looked out the window to see Finn trotting hurriedly toward the screen door from where he had been snoozing. He learned the appropriate words faster than my beasts had.

Finn is a nice boy. Very quiet, he is one of those cats with an almost silent meow. He enjoys being petted and when I kneel down outside and beckon to him, he hastens over for long strokes down his back and vigorous head-rubs that he enjoys so much he purrs, kneads and drools all at once.

Sometimes I feel as though I have five and a half cats…

But Finn does have a home. One of my fellow tenants knows it. Though Finn could use a brushing, his people appear to be good to him. He was a bit out of joint lately due to his humans baby-sitting a puppy, so it’s no wonder he took to spending time elsewhere. It’s good to know that he has a permanent family. He is not under-nourished by his people; he just enjoys the extra rations at my place.

But when I turn on the outside light at eleven o’clock to take one last look around before bed, and I see Finn almost pressed up against the screen, hoping for a final bite before retiring, I do have to ask him, “Don’t you have a home to go to?”

15 comments:

  1. Finn may have a home to go to, but perhaps he likes the accommodations at the Cozy Inn better. After all, free meals, a nice place to sleep, and no puppies. What's not to like??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think Roberta's comment is on target! We had our neighbor's cats living in our yard too; when they went away, I was mournful, but was assured they were adopted to a family who could accommodate their wandering ways. Except, I still wish I knew how they are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cats certainly know were there loved and looked after,
    My George..up there on the left..was one of three
    kittens belonging three children, just three doors
    away, well, George as a kitten would pop round, and
    spend most of the day here, went home at night, he
    had a few treats, that was that, then he decided that
    my home was nicer than his own, and refused to leave,
    l would put him out every night, until, he got the idea
    that when it became dark, he'd hide' usually under the
    stairs, the first time he did this, l thought he was
    out, but l awoke with him jumping up on the bed, settling
    down to sleep...!!! Oh! Dear!
    I felt really bad, because, all day..and night..here, go
    home to eat, then return, this went on for five years...
    so l spoke to my neighbours, l started to feed him, my
    daughter called him George, and that was that for 14yrs...
    He was the bestest mate ever..Loved him to bits..AND..Still
    miss him..! Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps it's not only the extra food that Finn appreciates, but the attention too. I think he should be indoors at night (if not all the time), but I realize a lot of people would disagree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't disagree, either. A lot of people around here keep their cats outside all the time, leaving ME to worry about their welfare.

      And as for Finn, I have only three words: Cats. Are. Grifters.

      Delete
    2. I feel the same way. There are so many untoward things that can happen to outdoor cats. I had neighbors who would let their cats out, and on several occasions one of their cats would fail to come home.

      Delete
    3. Not knowing whatever became of one of them would be the worst to endure.

      Delete
    4. You're right! And one of their cats that went missing just happened to have been my favorite. :-(

      Delete
  5. I agree with Kim, I'm sure he's looking for attention as well and the food is a benefit. It's unfortunate he is outdoors so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes going out to eat is just the thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that is not just the food but some attention and company is what he is looking for. I also agree that no cat should be outdoors at night, and preferably only under supervision by day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish they would keep him in. I am always anxious for cats outside all the time. If a cat were leaning against my door at all hours hoping and wishing, I would have to give in. Otherwise my heart would break. But that is just my instant kicking in. I wish I were a bit more braced. I have a dilute tortie your girl who comes by. I am afraid to pick her up and love her because she would want to come in I would bet! And Katie would kill us both. But I suspect she lives across the street and to think of her crossing the Indianapolis speedway to get here...gives me the shudders.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Finn is a lucky fellow to have found a home away from home for a little visit, fuss and snack. We do worry about him being out at night and roaming at any time but many believe cats should be allowed to like free like this notwithstanding the dangers of such life

    ReplyDelete