Sunday, May 9, 2021

At the Movies with Portia

Last night was movie night in the Cosy Apartment, a rainy, cool night outside, but warm and snug inside. I spent the evening with Portia. As you can see, she is largely untroubled by my presence; indeed, by my propinquity.

Her behaviour is still divided, however. I find the fact that she allowed me to sit on the couch with her and did not move from there most encouraging. She eventually stood up, hissed at me and walked away, though she only climbed up to the bookcase under the window and lie there, with her back to me. This may have demonstrated her opinion of me but nonetheless left her vulnerable to my touch – or attack, if I were hostile. That Portia presented her back to me suggests that she does not view me as a threat.

She continues to hiss at me, however. I think this is merely her way of showing that she is in charge of the situation – or would like me to think so. But she also purred. She purred while I stroked her head. She purred – until she hissed and got up to stalk away.

Progress is good, I think. My new house-guest is eating soft-food, and is also eating her old hard-food with the new, better quality, mixed in. Since the little of her previous litter that I had poured on top of the kind that’s used here is now lost in the general mix of scooped, tossed and churned litter, yet she continues to use the box, I would venture that she is now converted to the apartment’s brand.

It may be a while until she is let out of the library – I can’t let her out until I know I can put her back in – but each day makes her more familiar with her new surroundings. Movie night was both a big step forward, and a sign of more steps to come.

16 comments:

  1. I'm betting that the hissing will end soon, once she's certain you won't pull any funny business.

    It's interesting that she's eating soft food now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking she was expressing her thoughts on your newest movie selection. Maybe not Tom and Jerry enough for her. Certainly nice to
    hear and see she spent so much time close by and with you directly.
    She is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to have a better film for next week...

      Delete
  3. Perhaps she was expressing her opinion of your choice of movie. Ha! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it wasn't as good as I had hoped it would be...

      Delete
  4. It sounds like Portia is adjusting quite well to the Cosy Apartment. She's eating canned food, using her litter box, and letting you pet her. I'm sure she didn't hiss at you, John. She was probably just commenting on the movie. I don't know what the two of you were watching, but have you tried "Homeward Bound"? Maybe she'd find that one more interesting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. She looks very relaxed there. Maybe the occasional hiss is to remind you not to take liberties.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd say she's settling in well. I bet it won't be long before she's waiting for you to settle in to watch a movie together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is just making sure she has your attention!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have won the day, John! Portia, while not wishing to give the wrong impression of surrender, really has, surrendered; and is just counting the hours until she can completely welcome herself to your lap.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe she was hissing because she didn't like your movie choice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Her closeness to you is a good sign. She looks very comfortable there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hopefully we'll have two expert opinions
    on your next film review John..! :).
    And yes, Roberta's suggestion of Howard
    Bound is just about right..The original
    1963 version of course..!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes even Pipo or Minko wouyld hiss at me , like after a trip to the vert or similar...I guess they wanted to let me know what they thought, LOL!
    Maybe Portia is making sure you know who IS in charge, and don't you dare try any funny stuff:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Portia looks quite relaxed and we agree that she wants to let you know she will brook no trouble from you but will allow the odd head rub and give some acknowledgement of same. She will be out and about in no time

    ReplyDelete