Saturday, July 24, 2021

And Now a Word From Our Sponsor

I don’t do much promoting on this blog of the rescue-group to which I belong. I find advertising to be tiresome, whether it be on radio, the internet or television (it being one of the reasons I no longer watch the latter.) I’m old enough to remember the days when watching a film at the cinema did not involve sitting through half an hour of loud, juvenile commercials. But I think the cause in this case is a good one, and one or two ads every decade isn’t too great a number.

The Lethbridge PAW Society, a cat-rescue group in southern Alberta, is having an internet 50/50 Cash Raffle. The goal is to sell $10,000 worth of tickets, the winner taking half of that and PAW receiving the rest, minus some administration fees for the company that arranged the raffle. The latter is due to the fact that it is exclusively an online affair: tickets are paid for by credit card only and the winning ticket chosen by a government-sanctioned Random Number Generator. Tickets may be purchased in different ‘packages’ for different amounts, and there is a guaranteed prize of $2,000 (Canadian).

The limitation of this raffle is that it is for Alberta residents only. This is due to the fact that gaming regulations are controlled at the provincial and not the national level. It of course reduces the number of this blog’s readers who can participate, if any wished to do so. However, I thought I would advertise the cause regardless. I suppose someone outside of Alberta could ask an acquaintance to buy them tickets, but most of those who join the contest will nonetheless be from this province.

What might be of greater assistance is spreading the word through social media. If anyone reading this wants to do so, I would be obliged to them. If not, don’t worry; I won’t be checking. The raffle lasts until the end of September, but two months is not too long a time for something like this. If you would like to read a bit more about the raffle, the link below will take you to its web-page, which is also the venue at which tickets may be purchased.

https://www.rafflebox.ca/raffle/pawsociety

We now return you to your regularly scheduled cats.

21 comments:

  1. Lets me out it seems...Yank that I am. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it is a big success. I can't take part either being in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a wonderful cause and I hope that there are plenty of people in Alberta that help support this. I actually think it's very nice of you to show the rest of us bloggers what is going on for the rescue cats in your area. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have liked to participate but from the US. Is their a way to make a direct donation to the PAW society without being in the raffle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There certainly is. Don't feel that you must, but if you would like, you can go to our website and follow the link through a programme called ATB Cares (Alberta Treasury Branches will add 15% of all donations to a persons gift). The PAW website is:

      http://pawsociety.com/

      But you can go directly to our page on the ATB Cares website through this link:

      https://atbcares.benevity.org/community/cause/124-871865721RR0001

      Thank you for asking about that, Patty.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for sharing the donation info. I don't think too many of us here live in Alberta. :)

      Delete
    3. That's strange: ALL of us here live in Alberta...

      Delete
    4. I see what you did there. :)

      As a side note, all of this has an old favorite running through my head:

      Think I'll go out to Alberta
      Weather's good there in the fall
      I got some friends that I could go to working for
      Still, I wish you'd change your mind
      If I ask you one more time
      But we've been through this a hundred times or more.

      Best of luck with the raffle!

      Delete
    5. I figured you'd get it. I haven't heard Ian Tyson in a long time. And then there's Lightfoot, with "Alberta Bound"...

      Delete
    6. Thank you for the info. Going to check it out now!

      Delete
  5. John is there anyway we can help you directly? Your vet and food bills must be somewhat taxing. Do you have an Amazon wishlist that we could help out with

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't feel that you should help. I know everyone is pressed for cash these days. The raffle at least offers a chance to get some of it back. However, the PAW Society has a means of donating through a programme called ATB Cares (Alberta Treasury Branches will add 15% of all donations to a persons gift). The PAW website is:

      http://pawsociety.com/

      You can go directly to our page on the ATB Cares website through this link:

      https://atbcares.benevity.org/community/cause/124-871865721RR0001

      Thank you, Poppy and Julie.

      Delete
  6. Good luck! The raffle supports a great charity. I hope it's a huge success.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the lottery. I have a few friends and family in Alberta so will share to FB.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sure hope you win a prize...I am living in America...but I am a Canadian...with peeps I know in Alberta! Sigh...still doesn't allow. Can we donate in your name to increase your chances??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donations are always welcome but I'm not playing the raffle, I'm helping to run it. If the people you know in Alberta want to buy tickets, they certainly can.

      Delete
  9. I feel the same about commercials; I know too many by heart. They don't cause me to buy any product, but I enjoy finding the deceptions in them.

    Wishing you success on the fund-raising effort. A good cause is sure better than a bad one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We would never see anything on broadcast tele if it was not for the ability to pass through the commercials. Ugh!
    Great outfit John and we gave what we could. Hope it helps

    ReplyDelete