Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Cammie's New Adventure


Cammie will be leaving me. A lady from Regina saw her on the rescue-group's website and would like to adopt her. In case you are not from these parts (and most people in the world are not), Regina is about seven and a quarter hours away from Lethbridge, where I live. One assumes that that time is under ideal driving conditions and travelling at about sixty miles per hour.

Regina is, I think, twice the size of Lethbridge, and the metropolis of Saskatchewan, so a question was asked as to why a cat from hundreds of miles away was chosen. This lady (I will call her Beatrice, though that is not her name) simply likes blue-point Siamese cats. There is nothing wrong with choosing a cat based on her looks; there must always be a starting point for one's attention. I have spoken to Beatrice and I am sure Cammie will find a very good home with her. The point is that there was no other cat closer to Regina with whom Beatrice was taken.

The plan at this point is that she and a friend will be driving to Lethbridge on the first day of May to collect my little foster-cat.

This will be a hard parting for me, I think. Cammie is not like many other cats. A cat such as, for instance, Tungsten, would adapt well to a sudden change. It would not have fazed the late Bear-Bear much at all. But Cammie was very distrustful when she came to me. It has taken months, nearly a year, for her to reach the stage she has reached. This certainly does not mean that she cannot trust another person; far from it. But time must be given. Patience is needed. It may be six months before Beatrice has Cammie on her lap. It may be three months before Cammie lets a new person pet her.


I may be wrong about this. It may be that Cammie, now that she knows there are humans whom she can trust and who will treat her well, will be more open to receiving the attentions of others. In any case, I see no reason why, given time, she won’t settle in at Beatrice’s and make a home there for the rest of her hopefully very long life.

Cammie is a cat for whom one must work. She isn’t an instant pet, so time and patience is the key to winning her over. That is my worry. I can tell someone that it may be a long while before Cammie will welcome any touch, but experiencing her reticence is another matter.

Advantages to Cammie’s prospective new situation are that there will be just one other cat, an easy-going fellow her own age. I don’t worry about Cammie integrating with other cats. She will tell them how it’s going to be, and that’s that. With a feline roommate who won’t bother her much, the adjustment should be relatively simple. After all, Cammie knows from her time with me that most cats may be either ignored or put in their places. There will be more people getting to know Cammie. This will be confusing for her at first, but as Beatrice has family, her new cat will be getting to know them simultaneously to getting to know Beatrice. Cammie may soon come to trust several humans, and that will make life much more enjoyable for her.

Nonetheless, it will be hard letting my foster-cat go, especially as her departure is coming so soon after the BB’s. Of course, Cammie’s leaving is much more desirable than Bear-Bear’s, but it will still leave a space that won’t be filled. The Earth fills holes in itself with dirt and rock; the body heals wounds so that they are often invisible. The gaps among the objects of one’s affections last forever.


15 comments:

  1. She will always remain in your heart as she leaves little pieces of herself in you. YOU have given her the ability to trust again and she will be forever grateful. I hope her journey's path is wide and open for new adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I so hope this will be Cammie's forever home. Fingers (and paws) crossed that this person does understand Cammie might need a long time to adjust (or not), that she has the patience and love to accept Cammie as she is, and not expect Cammie to behave in a certain manner.

    I wonder if she'll provide updates. Wouldn't that be lovely, to have the assurance that Cammie was doing well and was happy in her new home?

    Purrs to her from the boys--and to you too, as you let her go. I'd be a bawling mess...Actually, I think I'd be a foster fail. LOL.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you'll be losing a kitty you're obviously attached to, but so happy she's getting a perminant home. This story reminds me of my Leo's, but from the other side! We drove 8 hours one way to pick him up. I fell in love with him, starting from how he looked, a grey kitty. I knew he would take time to trust me, us, but I was willing to give him all the time he needed. The funny thing was, he bonded with me almost immediately, and I with him. He's my heart kitty and I'm so glad I went so far for him! I hope Cammie has a similiar experience! That she and her new person bond quickly and fully! And I hope your heart opens to another foster. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah yes, the hardest part of fostering. and some are much harder than others. we had similar issues with our Saffron...the best you can do is be honest and up front with Beatrice and hope that she understands and is willing to be patient with Cammie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Knowing that Cammie will be leaving you is so sad. I think her new human might have seen something about Cammie that

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Cammie's new human saw something special about Cammie. You will miss her and I hope Cammie settles in well to her new home in Regina.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope Cammie settles in well, here in Regina. Since Beatrice is willing to come so far to meet her, says something about her willingness to open her heart and home to Cammie.

    I know how much you will miss her though, she's obviously captured your heart. As Kim has said, it would be wonderful to get updates on her progress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We hope Cammie will be happy in her new home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is sad for you that Cammie will be leaving for a new home. I hope it works out well for her and, her new owner will have the patience to give her all the time she needs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We will keep paws and fingers crossed that this will work out well for Cammie. If it ends up not being a good fit, will you get her back?
    Marty and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if things don't work out for Cammie in Regina, the Lethbridge PAW Society will take her back with open arms, she will come back to stay with me.

      Delete
  11. Oh we know how sad this is for you. We know you will be so sad when she leaves. And we will keep our paws crossed that she likes her new home. Hopefully, if it doesn't work out, they will bring her back to you. Surely the rescue checked out these people As long as they are patient, it sounds like Cammie will be all right. You and Cammie will be in our thoughts and prayers. And just know that if it all works our, it is because you were so good with her, that she will be able to make the change. Please keep me posted. I think you have my email and feel free to write me anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is there an update? Has Cammie gone to (we hope) her forever home? Any news on how she's doing, if she has?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plan to collect Cammie on the first day of May was altered to the second day of the month, due to the adopter's work schedule. My foster-cat will leave for Saskatchewan on Friday, in the late afternoon. I will publish another article after the event to tell how it went. I'm happy for Cammie but anxious for her, as well.

      Delete
  13. Cammie will be worth the drive for Beatrice!!! I completely understand that sometimes one just sees a kitty and inexplicably falls in love. My two winnie's wish kitties, Jimmy and Kip, were adopted based solely on their blog pictures and Chrystal's description :-) Wishing Cammie all the best for a long and happy life in her new forever home!

    ReplyDelete