Thursday, January 29, 2015

Feel the Knead


It’s funny what some cats develop as habits. Renn, for instance, is no different than other cats in that he likes to knead when he is happy. But he does it only in one condition. He will sometimes paw the air, swimming, like Kola does, but actually kneading an object is done only in one place and to one thing. Unfortunately, that thing is me.

I sit in a corner of the sitting room couch when I relax. I like the armchair, but there is little room for cats, so it gets used less than the couch. Whenever I sit on the couch, my big boy, whose hearing must be as mighty as his sense of smell, comes in from wherever he may be and joins me. Sometimes, he lies down in the other corner; sometimes, he lies next to me. But sooner or later, he will start to knead.


He will sit beside me, put his forepaws against me and push and push. He is not a light animal. His weight is not insubstantial. And he is healthy so his claws grow rapidly, and always seem to be sharp. He doesn’t mean for them to come out when he kneads but of course that action extrudes those little rapiers. Straight into me.


I usually have a swath of puncture marks along the right side of my torso. Often, it resembles a rash, and I’m waiting for the time a doctor questions whether I have been to the tropics recently or am allergic to arugula. And I’m sure my starboard kidney resembles a professional boxer’s after a tough fight. It’s my own fault; I should be more current in cutting Renn’s claws. But I forget, and then am reminded when my big boy kneads me.

But then, we all need to be kneaded by someone, right?

10 comments:

  1. That's sweet. Annie is a 'licker' which some people do not appreciate but it's her way of relaxing. And, not so painful as your boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww - but he loves you. :) mom says that is how she gets reminded to trim nails - Tim kneads on her and she says "ouch ouch ouch"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry but I have to laugh at your comment about your swath of puncture marks. When I arrived here my upper arm was well marked up - courtesy of Saku - they've all healed now, just in time for my return home.

    It is nice to be kneaded, even when it hurts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Think of it as free massage and acupuncture. LOL.

    Derry didn't knead at all until he watched Nicki doing it (Nicki's a big kneader, but not on me). Now Derry will knead a bit, sometimes on my arm, but still not much. I do get Derry-puncture marks on my legs, though, as he'll climb up instead of of jump up when I'm sitting at the table at my laptop (table is pub-style height). And that's when I remember to trim his claws. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet boy is Renn. I believe kneading or "making biscuits" comes from kitten hood when kittens are nursing. Kneading remains a comforting behaviour when cats are with their loving people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flynn is not much of a kneader. He will do it gently for maybe a minute or two but not often. Renn sounds very much like Eric was. He would put his whole weight into it and continue for as long as you would let him. He would do it anywhere and everywhere. We used to say he was needling because of his claws digging in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Annabelle likes to knead my legs, so like you I have these little pinpricks all over my thighs. MOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have pin pricks in my thighs while we are on the chair and on my chest when we are in bed with her settle like a Sphinx on my chest, kneading away! They are rough to my touch albeit tiny little needle claw pricks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Depending on where we are in the home the kneading is going hot and heavy by one or the other. Rumpy just about anywhere, Buddy while sitting on his pillow with eyes closed and a slight cat smile, Timmy while slipping under covers at bedtime, Einstein just about anywhere. What a life

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marty loves to knead me when he is lying over my shoulder or on my lap so I have marks on my back and my leg :)

    ReplyDelete