Monday, January 19, 2015

The Second Show, Starring Cammie


After the comedy routine with Tucker, I didn’t think that I’d have another so soon, or with Cammie, of all cats. But that’s what happened one morning late last week.


I was preparing to go to work. Cammie has been coming into the bathroom to look at the water dribbling from the tap and, periodically, to get a drink from it. She was finished with that chore and jumped down to the rim of the bathtub, over which I habitually drape the bathmat. That was when the action began.

Cammie started gagging, the usual hacking, choking sound of an impending vomit. When the other cats commence their little routine, I do one of two things. If I am too far away to affect matters, I let circumstances dictate the results. If near, I try to remove them from upholstery to hardwood or linoleum. I formerly attempted to do this no matter where I was. It merely led to the cats thinking that I was about to murder them for trying to toss a hairball; so much so, that if I do this now, they cower in fear. That’s not what I want. Besides, I often ended up causing them to run, and throw up as they go. Also not what I want.

But I was standing very close to Cammie, so I picked her up to remove her to the floor. My Siamese princess has come a long way in building her trust of people. She will allow me to pick her up without the hissing and growling that once accompanied the action. She still clearly dislikes being handled, and this is demonstrated in the immediate fixing of her claws in whatever material is directly beneath her. In this case, it was the bathmat.


On the bathmat was a small ceramic bowl, used to contain water and placed in the bathroom basin at night or when I am absent. It provides water for Tungsten, who may come up onto the counter to drink water from the basin. The bathmat now rose at the same speed as Cammie, while the little bowl went flying off at an angle. This distracted me, and Cammie dropped to the floor.


The Camster refused to move forward because not only was Tungsten in the bathroom, bent over the heating vent, but Kola had trotted to the door to see what the matter was. Turning after seeing the bowl break against the bottom of the tub, I didn’t notice that Cammie hadn’t budged, so my foot struck her in the bum. I imagine she thought I had kicked her and she ran out of the room, cursing all and sundry, to throw up on several of the steps down to the basement.


Though I was going to be late for work now, I wanted to make sure my princess was all right. She consented to let me spend some time petting her and, later that evening, was on my lap as usual, purring contentedly. Though she looks sad in these pictures, she was, in fact, happy in most of them. She doesn’t hold grudges and understands that things happen.




And I bought two replacement bowls, just in case things happen twice.

12 comments:

  1. I am sure she soon forgave you for kicking her in the butt. I have learnt that if Flynn is going to yak, just let him get on with it. No matter how close I am to him, he will run spreading yak near and far as he does so. It is probably just as well that you bought 2 new bowls as things come in threes. I await the next instalment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, quite the comedy of errors. Poor Cammie. She does look sad in the pics, but then, we do anthropomorphize.

    BTW, this cracked me up: "I often ended up causing them to run, and throw up as they go. Also not what I want."

    Hahaha! I can't help laughing, because Derry will do the same, and it's usually all over the living room floor and into the hallway and over the runner. Always fun to clean up. (Not.)

    Gee, I can hardly wait for the third act at your house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, poor Cammie. The mom tries to move us when she hears us starting to throw up, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Moandays!!! I thank goodness that in this house it is all hardwood and throw rugs. I just have to beat the three fascinated canines so that they don't cause the boys to do the running vomit. So glad that Cammie is a forgiving girl and not a grudge holder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH I've been known to do the same thing! Poor Annabelle suffers sometimes with things getting caught in her back floof. Yesterday was one of those times. Which means MOM has to cut the floof. Annabelle does not take highly to this and thus we have a cat backing up and a woman with scissors in her hand trying to not cut anything but fur. Thankfully it all ended well yesterday. No one was hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. never a dull moment living with felines :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, what a disaster! Thank goodness kitties seem to forgive easily when humans do stupid things! Most of the time. MOL
    Are the new bowls acceptable replacements? Cats ARE particular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny you should mention whether the bowls are acceptable. From the old one, a certain amount of water would disappear each day, indicating that someone (hopefully Tungsten) was drinking from it. That ceased with the new ones, until today. I guess it took a while for them to rated adequate.

      Delete
  8. It's obvious Cami had bonded with you. You're her dad now and she's found it in her tender Siamese heart to forgive. iit's wonderful to see her trust. She's so lovely. I shudder to think of what might become of her if her horrible adoption experience had not been discovered.
    Most of my cats don't enjoy being picked up especially when they're about to yak. I keep paper plates in just about every room and just before the actual " moment" arrives, I put one under. Usually works. Nice for those on bed yaks. All of mine are used to the plate now and rarely run. I guess I've become a genuine crazy cat lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of paper plates. That's a good idea.

      Delete
  9. Living with cats is always interesting! Glad to know Cammie realizes you meant her no harm and spent some time getting love later in the day.

    ReplyDelete