Friday, July 31, 2015

How I Don't Learn, Part 482

You may have read on here a while back that Noah inadvertently scratched me while I was holding him. He was startled and leaped out of my arms, using my chest as his launch pad, and his claws as, well, claws. I was gashed on my chest and jaw, though not badly, as it turned out.

This week I was moving some furniture in the parlour. I set an electric fan on the ottoman and picked up Noah - who must see from very close range everything that is going on - to carry him out of harm’s way. The furniture I was moving was heavy and I didn’t want him underfoot. The other cats kept their distance; they know the sounds of heavy object movement. Besides, they’ve seen it often enough not to have to witness every instance of it. Noah still likes to observe all.

I took up the boy and was about to put him outside the room when my leg brushed the electric fan. That weighty article fell with a crash to the floor. Noah, startled again, threw his legs into a windmill imitation in an attempt to escape the noise, and my clutches. Cammie, as she always does when there is a clatter, hurried to investigate and/or chastise. I knew enough not just to let Noah fly off of me - he was as likely to land on the princess as not (and that would have resulted in all sorts of trauma), so I held him at arm’s length (something I could not do to all the cats, I know).

It was too late for my skin, however. Two deep scratches had been inflicted, this time on my stomach. They do not constitute serious damage, of course, but they are annoying, and I have holes in another shirt.

Noah is not to blame; he was reacting as his reflexes demanded. They are very good reflexes. I will have to learn to stand still while holding him, I think. Or get better reflexes myself.

13 comments:

  1. 1. Ouch.
    2. There goes another shirt! This could get pricey. LOL.
    3. Somehow I've inadvertently enabled Google translation for Feedly...or maybe it's just Feedly doing this, and words are NOT right. LOL. If you know how to turn it off, let me know. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I don't even know what Feedly is, never mind how to fix it. You can ask on the Cat Blogopshere; I'm certain there is any number of people who are better at computer than I.

      Delete
  2. noah...we think dad kneads ta get rid oh de fan; ore wear a claw proof vest ~~~ !! ☺

    heerz two a central mudminnow kinda week oh end ~ ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain..literally. When I brought Stanley home from my daughter's home on Monday, as we walked to my car the sound of a truck engine startled him and he did a number on my shoulder. I couldn't let him go as we were outside...damn that hurt,

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some kitties startle more with sounds. Do you think his nails could be trimmed a bit shorter? I was wearing a pair of shorts when I went to the grocery yesterday. The check out girl saw my legs and said "How many cats do you have?".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, his claws need trimming. He's a healthy young boycat, so they grow fast. And yes, one can usually tell a cat-owner.

      Delete
  5. Ouch, you are learning the hard way! Having said that, I end up with countless unintended scratches and holes in T shirts from Flynn. He will come up for a cuddle in my arms, then when he has had enough, instead of getting down in a gentlemanly manner befitting of his age, he launches himself from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When they are done, they are done; there's no sense wasting time moving on from cuddles to something else.

      Delete
  6. Noah sounds like a typical young kitty with whirlwind arms and legs ;)
    You may need to invest in some kind of body armour. heehee
    Purrs Georgia and Julie,
    Treasure and JJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Annabelle does the same thing when startled, and it seems everything but me startles her! So I have to be extra careful as her young legs are very strong and powerful. Nothing has been ripped but skin in my case.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Noah, you need to stop scratching your Foster dad. He is taking such good care of you. From Jessica and Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  9. At least you are right to not blame Noah, it is just instinct for him. Miss Pops does not like being picked up, although she tries not to scratch, she gets super annoyed and just wants to bet let down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Accidental cat scratches... they happen around here all the time! They never hurt any less though, unfortunately!

    ReplyDelete