Thursday, August 6, 2015

The Cats at Dawn

I rise early to go to work. It’s a necessity, not a wish. I do wake even on my days off earlier than I did when young, but getting up at 5.30 on weekday mornings is not something that I like doing. The cats wake with me, of course, and most of them seem much more eager to begin their day than I am.

Most look forward to their soft-food breakfast. They each have their spots - Tucker in the kitchen, Cammie on the first step to the basement, Josie in the sitting room; Renn rarely eats breakfast, and my foster-cat, Noah, eats in the parlour, with the door closed, to keep him from distracting, and being distracted by, the others.


But after breakfast, and a trip to the litter-box for one or two of them, they settle down for a nap. After all, they had to wake far too early for breakfast. Though it’s only the beginning of August, I’ve noticed that the day is not so light when I wake as it was. Similarly, when I write at the dining table in the evenings, I sometimes need to turn on the electric light. The summer, though still hot and strong during the middle of the day, is starting to show its age at its edges. There are, however, so the cats think, still some hours at this time for snoozing before they get on with the serious sleeping of the day.


Noah is active, even at this hour, as befits his childish energy. I provide him with a Trac-ball toy and some diversions in the way of fuzzy mice, but I suspect that he spends his day at the window, watching the world.


The perma-cats find their places before I go to work. Cammie is usually on a cushioned chair, if Renn is on the cat-tree by the bedroom window. If the princess can seize that high ground, my big boy rolls over on the siting room armchair. Josie is often on the bed, while Tucker wanders; he has a bite of hard-food, plays with a toy and watches me go.


I imagine that they all spend the morning and afternoon asleep, periodically waking to eat or attend to other bodily functions. Their day is quiet and boring. They may play, observe the wide world, investigate the house, or bother each other. I envy them.

11 comments:

  1. the way the day is spent at our house too....except for those pesky high energy kittens :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I just lost my post, right in the middle of it...Do I remember what I wrote?

    Oh, that I think their day probably isn't "boring" to them at all, though we might perceive it that way.

    As for the waking at o'dark early every day, I sympathize, as you know I'm up between 4AM and 4:30AM. Absolutely NOT by wish, but by learned habit and with insistence from the two "alarm clocks." I "love" how our cats get us up, eat, then retire to snooze till a more respectable hour. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall reading that you woke very early but I think I may have blocked the very idea of four o'clock out of my mind. Shudder.

      Delete
  3. You may be surprised at what goes on when you are out!!! Thank you for your comforting words of sympathy for the loss of our Ivy.

    Cats of wildcat woods

    ReplyDelete
  4. guys....a grate post two day... werld dominance by catz iz now just a meer matter oh time; ~~~~~ de hoomans R now enviouz oh R existence.....on ta plan..... "G"

    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the cats quite enjoy their day. I wonder what a webcam would capture! I have to get up at 6:30 am (while I complain, I know it is not as bad as 5:30) and Jessica is up with me too. But she is back sleeping just before I leave for work. From Eileen and Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And 5.30 isn't as bad as 4.30, which is when Kim at Fuzzy Tales gets up (see above.) Yikes!

      Delete
  6. John - I totally get it, as that is when I am up and about during the week too. I have had the two weeks off and getting up after 8 is a pleasure.

    miss pops eats her breakfast, does a quick outside visit and then returns to bed for a nice 8 hour nap.

    Julie and poppyq

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am home mostly through the day. Flynn sleeps on the bed and wakes me as soon as he hears me move in my sleep. He will lie on my tummy and purr like a train until I wake up. Then I have to give him tummy tickles so I am allowed to go back to sleep. He has breakfast when we have ours, then it is a walk around the garden then back to bed for a few hours, then another walk around the garden to check nothing has changed. We go for a walk in the fields in the evening, (just a short walk now he is older and not as strong as he was). He comes in and has his supper, then it is back to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's an early morning here too as I need to be at work by 7 a.m. so 5:30 is the norm.. Not that it stops Sami or Saku from waking me at 3 or 4 a.m. for a cuddle or just because.

    I suspect the cats spend most of their time sleeping in various spots in the house. Like you, I envy them their ability to spend the day as they wish.

    ReplyDelete