Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Of Frying Pans and Fires

After my worries over the weekend with Josie, it was Tucker’s turn.

Yesterday, I took him to the veterinary hospital. He has had terrible breath for a while, and his gums appeared red to me. I was concerned that he might have a severe case of gingivitis. My fears were justified, unfortunately, and he will need a dental operation to clean them. At first glance, the doctor did not believe that any teeth will need to be extracted, though that opinion may change upon closer examination. The cost will be more than $500; $700, if teeth need to be removed. Tucker remains my most expensive cat.


That was not the worst news, however. The roly poly one has been wetting where he shouldn’t. This I attribute to stress over Noah’s presence. But Tucker has also been dripping urine here and there, usually after he uses the litter-boxes; he does use them, he simply goes elsewhere, too. (Such as on my duvet, when I was trying to put him in the carrier to go to the doctor - but that was fear, the poor fellow.) So, considering his history with urinary tracts, I asked the doctor to run a urinalysis on him, as well.

Despite wetting immediately before being put in the carrier, and even in the carrier, there was enough urine left in Tucker’s bladder to test, and the technicians began it before we left the hospital. As I was paying the bill, the veterinary came out and told me that my cat’s glucose levels looked very high, so poor Tucker had to be shaken out of the carrier again for a quick blood test. The normal numbers for glucose are three to six (three to six what, I don’t know); Tucker’s was 23.5. Tucker is diabetic.

I will be talking to the doctor at length next week about all that this entails. Tucker will need insulin for the rest of his life, of course, but we will have to determine the right dosage, which will probably mean a few rough weeks for the roly poly one. I will have to get used to sticking him with needles. I was growing accustomed to giving Tungsten sub-cutaneous fluids, so I suppose I can do this for Tucker. I must. He will depend on me even more than in the past.

I don’t know how much this will cost; it will depend on the dosage he ultimately receives. But I hope that between the treatment for the diabetes he has developed, and the dental work, he will feel much better than he must be feeling now. That sausage of a cat has been through much, and will have to go through more. But better health lies in his future, I hope, and we will be working toward that.

19 comments:

  1. Wow, Poor Tucker. But at least you found out what is going on with him. Hope the teeth cleaning and the medicine will make him feel better. You sure have been having your troubles. We send tons of purrs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, gees...I was hoping you were going to write that his glucose was just slightly elevated and attributed to the stress. Well, crap. Poor Tucker and oh, I feel you for you too, re: the cost and the added care. There are a few around the CB with diabetic cats, I just can't think who off the top of my head. Someone has managed to control their cat's diabetes via diet change alone, I believe. I'm sure each cat is different, but it might be something for you to investigate. Even if a diet change meant less needed insulin, it would be a win-win for you both.

    Tons of purrs and purrayers to Tucker. He's very fortunate to have you for a caretaker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Tucker. (And poor you!) At least diabetes is something that's very treatable these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would seriously insist on Lantus insulin, lots of kitties have gone into remission while on it. Also, if you can give Sub-Q fluids the insulin is done the same way. Testing regularly is very important too. Our Zoe had diabetes but is currently in remission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sticking a needle into Tungsten's tiny, thin body was very difficult for me, but Tucker certainly provides more of a target. Your words are encouraging. I will talk to the doctor about Lantus. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. poor Tucker....but we are glad you were proactive and hopefully caught it early. we do know that some have managed the disease using food as well, so that is a thought. our friends at http://www.paws-and-effect.com/ have lots of great info since Bella is diabetic. good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be looking into food as a weapon against diabetes. Thank you for the link.

      Delete
    2. Another person to talk to and who is a great resource about diabetes is Tony Wang, pet Dad to Bagheera. His blog is:
      www.bagheeradiabeticcat.com

      Delete
  6. Oh dear poor Tucker, but at least you can get his teeth all cleared up and once his diabetes in under control he will be feeling like a new cat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh John, this is awful! Poor Tucker.
    If he does need insulin both he and you will do well with the shots. What worries me is the dribbling, urination outside the box and retained urine in the bladder after having just urinated. I would consider having him worked up for stones. If your vet concurs, sooner than later, because later can lead to a rather expensive surgery.
    I will pray for you sweet wonderful boy. I know you will give him the best of care. All of our love to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I intend to ask the doctor about stones. Tucker and I have a lot of work to do, but we're getting very good support and information from our internet friends. Thank you.

      Delete
  8. So sorry to hear Tucker's news! Since I am a new cat owner, I always read your blog b/c I learn so much! I know you will give him the best of care! You are a good "cat" daddy! Please give Tucker a hug from me!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Cat Blogosphere is a wonderful community. If you ever need information on a problem, the chances are good that someone on the Blogosphere can help.

      Delete
  9. I'm so sorry to hear of Tucker's health issues. Hopefully you can find the appropriate measure of medicine and diet soon. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor Tucker! At least he will feel better once his teeth are sorted. I hope his diabetes is able to be brought quickly under control. He is very fortunate that he has you to care for him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. dood...we cant offer any add vize but we due send de manee blessings o st francis yur way, he haz plentee ta spare N heez willing ta share...we hope that purrhapz proper diet can help ewe N dad avoid needlez all two gether ~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like Brian, I gave my Renn Lantus for 7 years after his diagnosis. It really helped keep his sugars balanced. I also see that there are foods out now for diabetic kitties that were not available back in Renn's days and that there is much more awareness and comprehensive treatment. Sending all the POTP we can that Tucker will start feeling much better soon with his dental and new regimen.
    Marty's Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be asking the veterinary many questions about diet, insulin, a combination of the two and/or what is best.

      Delete