Friday, October 9, 2015

Being Thankful

It’s Thanksgiving Day this weekend and, though we should be thankful all the time for what we have, it’s on this holiday that we pay closer attention to what we have.

This will be my first Thanksgiving in eight years without Tungsten. I wish she were with me still, but I am grateful for the time I had with her, for the affection and joy she gave me. Not everyone has the experience of such a friend, and I was lucky.


Tucker was diagnosed with diabetes very recently. On the other hand, we are battling its effects and will manage it soon; there is a chance of eliminating it all together. In the meantime, except for some discomfort from needles, he is living a decent life and continues to purr, so we are fortunate in this respect.


And but for the odd hairball, upset stomach and cold, the other beasts have fared well over the past year. Noah’s presence is a bit disruptive, but he is a good boy and I think he may even appreciate the food, attention and security that he has in foster-care. Deep down, he appreciates it. I’m sure.





The biggest challenge (i.e. problem) facing us now is that we will probably be moving. Economic conditions here in Alberta have worsened considerably over the past couple of years. The province’s dependence on oil revenues means that when oil prices drop, which they have, so does prosperity. The recently ousted government neglected all other forms of revenue for forty years, and we are now paying the price. I still have a job, but my hours may not be as plentiful as previous.

As well, my wage never kept pace with the cost of living; on a graph, the latter would resemble an eager mountaineer, while my wage would be the contented wanderer ambling almost imperceptibly up foothills. And where that happy rambler is leading me is back to renting an apartment.

I have noticed for the first time how unwelcome pets are in rental properties. Very few apartments are willing to take in a tenant with pets, and most that declare themselves to be ‘pet-friendly’ charge a ‘pet-fee’, $250 to $350 per pet. This is not refundable, and so is not in the way of an extra damage deposit, but rather merely a means of a landlord claiming that he welcomes pets when in fact he is ensuring that he won’t get any. And, if he does, he pockets hundreds of dollars at no bother to himself.

Things will be cramped in an apartment with five cats, even an apartment with two bedrooms, but the beasts and I will have to adjust. Noah will be a bit of a problem, as he is sequestered at night to keep him and Cammie, and the others, from disturbing each other all night. This may not be possible in an apartment. We will see what the next few weeks will bring.

I am grateful as well for the people I know and have met. They have brightened and enriched my life. I sometimes forget how a small kindness can help as much as a big one.

I hope everyone’s weekend goes well, and that everyone has much about which to be thankful.

17 comments:

  1. What a lovely posting of Thanksgiving! Happy Thanksgiving to you John and all your beautiful cats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you could talk to a budget advisor who could suggest other options? I don't know what your rents are like there, but here, I'd actually be paying a lot more for a 2-bedroom than I am for this townhouse. It's kind of scary. If I could live decently, quietly, and significantly more cheaply somewhere else, I would be. So I wish you the very best of luck in this. If your personality and the layout of your house allow, would it be viable to rent a room? People have suggested it to me over the years, but I'd rather stick pins in my eyes. It's not a good set up/layout for that, and the cats would be an issue, never mind my privacy.

    So lots of purrs from the boys, and we're all wishing you a happy Thanksgiving regardless.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renting out space isn't an option in this house, and as a landlord, I would have to keep everything in top-notch condition. Since I am not 'handy', as Red Green would say, I would be paying someone else to be that for me. Like you, I am trying to find the cheapest way to live decently. Modern times don't make it easy...

      Delete
  3. guys...

    we wood like ta say happee thanx be giving two ewe all & yur dad !!

    we dont rememburr "how" we finded yur blog, but we iz thanx full we did......we reel lee N joy it ☺☺

    N we troo lee hope stuff "werks out" with yur dad & all that finance stuff ....& if him haz ta move...tell him ta chex inta purrhaps.....renting a houz.....lot oh pet ownerz heer opt for it .....inn sted of apartmintz

    heerz two a redfin perch kinda week oh end ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Houses for rent have been checked. Here, they either cost more to rent per month than what I am currently paying for a mortgage, or they are just basement suites. Thank you for thinking of an option, though.

      Delete
  4. (Former) Lethbridge landlord here. Checked any listing for Coledale or Coalhurst? Bad timing because school just started a month ago so supply is low. No chance of being able to hang for another few months?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a car, unfortunately, so I must find something within Lethbridge.

      Delete
  5. I do hope you and the cats will find a way to stay in the house. In Ontario landlords are not permitted to exclude pets nor are they permitted to charge extra fees for anything. But of course, many do find ways to exclude pets. Many condos try to exclude pets in their bylaws but owners are now finding out that you can sell your condo for a higher price if your building allows pets! So many people in small spaces now have cats and dogs. It is sad to hear how hard it is for many people in Alberta, while I don't want a return to the reliance on oil, I do hope the new government finds a way to widen the sources of income for the province.
    I think if you have to move, you will find the cats will all adjust and settle in well.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and the dear kitties. From Eileen and Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your wishes. I hope Thanksgiving is a good day for you and Jessica, too.

      Delete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you from all of us. We're happy to hear that Tucker is adjusting to his new normal and we sure hope you all have minimal disruption in your lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Thanksgiving to you.
    I am sorry you are facing the possibility of having to move, and hope you can find somewhere suitable for yourself and the cats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Thanksgiving. I wish you luck finding a place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. Tungsten was a gift to you and I know this time of year makes her absence more difficult. Just when loosing her starts to seem unbearable,think of how many people and cats have never shared this special rewarding and enriching bond.
    John, try to find a financial councillor either through your bank or through your Provence. Can you refinance your home with a lower rate for a longer period? A rental may prove NOT to be less expensive. Do you have a special skill or talent you can teach ? The local colleges may have jobs open for teaching assistants, lab assistants, computer labs, tutors in languages or English as a second language. These are usually a couple of nights a week jobs that offer no benefits but pay well because most folks want a full time position.
    I have been in your position Taking a second job in the short term may get you over the hump. Of course, if the real estate market is hot, you can sell and downsize or find a residence a bit farther out. A financial advisor my be able to work wonders for you.
    We love you all and know you will find a way.
    If you do need to severely downsize, as I did, you may find your cats will do remarkably well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, the mortgage I have is at its limit. And just as unfortunately, I have no special skill that may be used. If I teach English overseas, I don't need a teaching degree; all those here in Canada seem to require one. I have so little free time each day as it is that a part-time job isn't feasible.

      Thank you for your suggestions, though. It is gratifying that so many people want to help. The beasts and I won't suffer, we will just have to adapt. As you say, they will probably do very well.

      Delete
  10. Happy Thanksgiving!

    I'm sorry to hear you may/will have to move. Good luck in finding a place that is understanding and won't charge that ridiculous fee.

    ReplyDelete
  11. John what a stressful time for you. Landlords here are often not allowing any pets. An article I read last night said that of the 230 houses for rent in one nz town, only 2 allowed pets.

    I hope things work out for you - you are in our thoughts.

    Julie and poppy q
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's crazy about so few landlords allowing pets. As usual, unimaginative people are shooting themselves in thew foot; if they permitted tenants to have pets, they could charge a little more, or at least have a wider range of tenants to choose from.

      Delete