Tuesday, March 15, 2016

A New Worry

Even cat can be a source of worry. Having several can cause one’s worrying to be constant. This time, it is Josie’s turn. The trouble is that my Chubs is not my chubs anymore.

Josie has lost rather a great deal of weight in a short time. Previous to this weekend, the Great White was weighed at the veterinary hospital, when taken there for her dental surgery; this was on January 19th. Her weight was 6.41 kilograms, which was down from many months previously when I had registered her poundage at seven kilograms. This weekend, however, I borrowed the PAW Society scales and, when I placed Josie upon them, was told that she weighed 4.89 kilograms. The scale had been calibrated to that at the veterinary clinic the Society habitually uses, so is probably accurate.

I had noted that my Chubs had been losing her principal characteristic, and becoming lighter to pick up. Prior to that, I had observed that I needed to clean her bum fewer and fewer times, which suggested that she has been able to do it herself. This was something she was incapable of performing previously, due to her wideness. I did not, however, expect to see that she had lost so much of herself.

Needless to say, I am rather concerned over this sudden decrease in gravitational pull. The cause may be one of many, or a combination thereof, not all of them bad. The move to the apartment may be psychologically beneficial for Josie. She is certainly eating better than she has in the past, as I am providing her with more flavours of Merrick brand cat-food that she likes. She may just be taking in less food due to her age, which will be thirteen years in June. There are also a number of sinister possibilities.

Josefina has not given me any other reason to worry about her health (the lately removed cyst on her jaw excepted), which is why the new total for her weight startled me. She moves about in the apartment more, so it seems to me, than she did in the house. She is often climbing vertically without much effort. She and Tucker play ‘chase’ now and then. And if her idea of playing with a string-toy is to lie in one spot and grapple with it as it swings by her, then at least she is almost always eager to play. Her mood is usually good and she purrs easily. If asked to render a verdict on her health, I would have judged it to be better than it had been in a long time.

However, the weight-loss is not to be taken lightly (pun perhaps intended). What I will do is to weigh my Chubs weekly for the next month or so, and for a further period, if necessary. I want to monitor any more loss, if it occurs, and, if it does, to arrange for a doctor to see her.

For now, the Great White and I wait. I will lay my plans and be ready, and hope that all my preparations prove unnecessary.

27 comments:

  1. She must have had blood work prior to the cyst removal, right? What about her T4 for hyperthyroidism? That's the first thing that popped into my mind, of course, because of Annie. As you wrote, there could be a variety of reasons, some positive, some negative. I'd be rushing off to the vet, of course, because I'm a panicky sort of person, but it's good that she's eating well and is active. Purrs for her from the boys, we hope there's nothing untoward going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blood tests were conducted before her surgery, but not a test for hyperthyroidism. Josie isn't exhibiting any other sign of the condition. I've called a veterinary to ask advice. I may take Josie in for tests this week if it's recommended.

      Delete
  2. Your plan of keeping track of Josie's weight is a good idea. I hope everything turns out well. As you say, maybe she had just become more active in her new surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to reconcile every other sign of her health with her weight-loss.

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear that Josie has lost a good amount of weight in a short period of time. Of course you're worried, and that's understandable. But to be honest with you, John, I'm not sure waiting a month to see what's going on with her is a good idea. I'm sorry if I'm putting my nose into some place where it might not be welcome, but perhaps you should call your vet and see if she feels it would be safe for Josie to wait a month before she's checked. As you're aware, certain illnesses should be dealt with sooner rather than later. Hopefully, the vet will find nothing seriously wrong, but if for no other reason, getting Josie checked will put your mind at ease. I'll be anxious to hear how she is doing. Please keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well-meant advice is always welcome. I have placed a call to the veterinary hospital to which my cats go, and am awaiting a call from a veterinarian. It may not come until tomorrow, but I will ask advice regarding testing, what tests should or could be done, etc.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your update. Please let us know what the vet says.

      Delete
  4. John

    admittedly I was a bit uneasy hearing of the weight loss too, and Josie's not my cat....it's good you "caught" it and will be monitoring her weight; best to catch "something" early on....

    with all that being said, if the above photo is recent; Josie DOES look....good, truly... and perhaps it's just an active cat situation; 11 pounds is not a BAD weight; I dont know her age....purrhaps it's a senior thing ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photograph was taken this weekend. In all respects other than her weight, she is doing very well. However, I intend to consult with a veterinarian, as soon as one calls me back.

      Delete
  5. Keeping fingers and paws crossed that Josie's weight loss is attributed to good things not bad. Please keep us posted. Linda, Pepper, and Dublin

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a loss of weight with our Buddy Budd and it was dx as hyperthyroid by a blood draw. He has a bit more going on that was found after I requested an xray which led to an ultrasound.
    Not to say what to do but I would have her labs done just for peace of mind.
    Purrs that all is fine
    Dad Pete and Timmy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though Josie is showing no other signs of hyperthyroidism (my late Tungsten had it), it may the cause. Unfortunately, I can't rule out something worse, of course.

      Delete
  7. Good thoughts for Josie. Sending a hug, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no, now I am worried. As you say, the weight loss might be just Josie's age. I will keep my fingers crossed (and Holly will keep her paws crossed) for you and dear Josie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Josie's off to the hospital this Friday.

      Delete
  9. We're glad you called the vet for an opinion. Sudden weight loss is cause for concern. We purr that if it is something medically, it's not serious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josie needs to lose weight but not so swiftly!

      Delete
  10. I'm glad you've called your vet. That is quite a bit of weight to loose over such a short time. We're praying for Josie. We know waiting on anything concerning cats is usually never beneficial.
    I'm glad your poster Roberta Diamond made the comments she did. It's usually me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All supportive thoughts and opinions are appreciated. Josie will be seeing a doctor on Friday.

      Delete
  11. Hyperthyroidism was the first thing that also came to my mind. I took him to the vet because he was losing weight but eating well. He was also very active and his coat looked good. Hopefully it is something easy to treat, (except in Flynn's case of course, but I will always blame the Convenia for that.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flynn's condition - his otherwise healthy appearance - made me call for an appointment. Josie sounds like Flynn in this respect, so I'll have her checked out.

      Delete
  12. Yes, that would be a cause for concern. Even though losing weight is a good thing for overweight cats, it can indeed mean something darker.I have a somewhat similar situation with one of my mine and will be taking her in for a blood test this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your little one. I hope it's nothing bad.

      Delete
  13. well that's a little scary....at least that much that quick. hopefully she is just getting more active and it isn't serious....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see. She goes to the doctor in a couple of days.

      Delete
  14. I will scroll back and see if she has been. My girl Bianca aka the Admiral had hyperthyroidism for three years.

    ReplyDelete