Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Guests for Dinner

They were actually a bit behind the time for dinner, so it’s more of a late supper for these two. They came to the food bowl about eight-thirty. I had left the outside light on for my cats, as they seemed to like viewing with some illumination. I usually do not leave the light on, and won’t often in the future. But it allowed me to see this pair.

I thought some owned cats may have been coming by during the day to sample the food I’ve left out, as all of what I offered yesterday had disappeared by the time I returned from work. But we have some community cats in the neighbourhood who don’t seem to have homes. I think these two may be included in that category. I have no proof, but they had a combination of confidence and caution that suggested ferals who know their way around the outdoors.

Are they siblings? Mother and daughter? They are either mostly black or dark grey. The slightly larger one ate first; in fact, the other didn’t eat at all, though I suspect they returned when they had less of an audience, or when the audience had less of a chance to see them. You can observe Tucker’s reflection in the glass of the window, though in fact he could not view them from where he was sitting on a cat-tree; the angle was wrong. Parker could, and was much interested in the intruder-cats, but I explained to him that they were not intruders. They were our guests.


14 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm glad they found your food and are eating it! Sustenance for the harsh winter ahead. I always wish every "domesticated" animal could have a loving home with an abundance of food, as do we all wish that, but the next best thing is the kindness of animal-lovers like you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. we are glad you are there to lending them a helping hand

    ReplyDelete
  3. guyz...984 paws up !!! for havin guestz over ta dinner...way kewl ~~~~~ leest dad noez now they be catz !!! YAY ~~

    and de bass turd gobblerz in town...we R off ta pre pear weaponz....see ya next week ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad your ferals have found the food and water you put out, John. With the cold weather here, the community cats need all the help they can get. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It rained yesterday, so I may have to set up a shelter for the food. So many things to think of...

      Delete
  5. It is nice to see that your hospitality is being appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this makes my heart glad. Thank you many times over!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These cats may not be feral, but were once pets that have now been abandoned when their owners moved.
    Their fear and watchfulness may come from the stress of their situation. These cats need you. I’m glad you are there to help them. If we,your blog followers , can help in any way just say the word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Right now, I'm feeding them good but not expensive food. I think both I and the diners are all right with that.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for taking such good care of these cats.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for reaching out to the community cats too. Especially with winter coming they need our attention and care. I second Kari's thoughts - if there is anything we can do to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, we are doing all right. The poor outside cats will have to make do with second-rate food, but at least it's nutritious and tasty.

      Delete
  10. Good on you John for helping these cats with food and water. It breaks my heart that any cat is left to fend for itself. Your efforts are surely appreciated.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great to see community cats having a nice meal.
    When I had a visitor some years ago she was out of sight except for my outside camera. She left for I hope a good reason after some year plus. Thanks for caring for those in need
    Timmy and Dad

    ReplyDelete