Monday, January 22, 2018

Cammie's Week

Last week was a difficult one in the household, as Cammie was ill again. I believe it was caused by her theft of some of Renn’s soft-food. For years, Cammie has enjoyed Fancy Feast’s ocean whitefish variety, and for almost as long, I have suspected that shrimp had been the catalyst for her episodes of sickness. Lately, I have been considering that fish in general has been the cause, and so I have taken away her ocean whitefish. She still likes it, however, and, when I served some to Renn, I think she ate it. (Renn does not always finish off his rations right away. They sometimes sit in front of him for a while and, though it would be unusual for the princess to approach another cat close enough to eat his food, it is what I think happened.)

In any case, she developed the usual symptoms: vomiting her food, followed by vomiting on an empty stomach. I tried slippery elm again, but it hasn’t worked on her for some time, so Friday morning, I took her to the veterinary hospital. There she was given an injection of Cerenia, to ease her stomach, and another of the ant-acid famotidine. She was also given fluids, as she was dehydrated.

Cammie’s recovery this time was, mercifully, rapid. Upon our return from the hospital, I put her in the bathroom, for ease of monitoring, and visited her during my lunch-break. There was no vomit. I gave her some Recovery-and-water by syringe and, when I returned about three o’clock, found that she had kept it down, so I gave her more. Though she didn’t eat anything that evening, she was already feeling a renewed interest in food, and ate on her own the next day. This constituted a swift recovery compared to previous times. While I am pleased with this, it suggests a difference in this episode, a difference for which I cannot account.

But as of this morning, the princess continues well. Yesterday caused me worry, as she was quite lazy and spent the day in the heated cat-bed. While she often spends much time there, she did not get up to eat or use the litter-box until the evening. But it may be that fatigue from the prior week was catching up to her. I am especially vigilant with her, and am anxious that I may find when I go home that she has been sick again. However, I can only watch her day by day, being particularly careful regarding her nutrition. Her dish is unique, and I use a separate spoon to apportion her soft-food. Hopefully, my precautions will be enough to keep her illness from recurring.

12 comments:

  1. Oh, Cammie! Here's hoping you are on the mend again, sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all send purrs and prayers to sweet Cammie and hope the all better shows up soon and sticks around for a long, long, time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh Miss Cammie...we hope she continues to feel better

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're glad this episode was short-lived! Purrs to her that she's fine going forward. It's tough to manage one cat's diet, let along five cats' diets. You're a terrific cat-caretaker!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor sweet Cammie. We hope that with time and lots of rest her tummy feels better soon.

    Julie and poppyq

    ReplyDelete
  6. ♥♥♥♥ st francis' blessings to you cammie as always and I'm sorry and tuna is too that you're not up to par lately and hope it was just a temporary set back and you're once again ruling the house with a jeweled paw maybe emerald as they do look great with your coat. hugs from dai$y queen of the run on sentence ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry Cammie became ill again. It is so hard on pet parents. We can't question them to ask what they did..how they feel. For myself, when Katie or the Admiral were ill...that colored my entire day and night till they were well again. I hope that took care of the matter. She did not get much of the offending food, so perhaps she was granted ease as a result of that. I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry Cammie has been sick. I hope she has a full recovery soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's almost as if a clock is ticking when we're ill and when we get a little better, the heavens open up and everybody's happy. Here's hoping Cammie continues to bounce back! ~ Tom

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh poor Cammie. It's so upsetting when one of our cats gets sick. I think the illness is harder on the pet parents than it is on the cat! Fingers and paws crossed that Cammie makes a full recovery soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad this episode was short lived, possibly because she wasn't able to get hold of too much of the offending food. I hope she continues with her speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good grief! How did I miss this? I love Cammie so!

    I believe she in in excellent hands and we know you will always do the best thing for your cat family.
    Prayers are with her.

    ReplyDelete