Tuesday, January 16, 2018

One Sturdy Year

I don’t usually mark anniversaries to the day. If something stands out about a certain day, then I will remember it; if not, I generally just recall the year in which something occurred. For instance, Josie came to stay with me, I believe, on Christmas Eve of 2008. Tungsten arrived in August of the year before, though I cannot say with exactitude which date it was. I know when she left me, though.

I know when Parker came to my apartment because I wrote about it in my blog. It was one year ago yesterday. My sturdy orange foster-cat has become a part of life in the household. He is available for adoption, but it would have to be a very special individual or family to whom he would go. Of course, rescue-groups feel that way about all their foster-cats, but the specialty must be a little different for Parker because of his diabetes.

Taking care of him is more than just injecting him with insulin twice a day. It includes the monthly monitoring of his blood-glucose levels (‘curves’), which involves taking blood every two hours over a twelve-hour period; in fact, because I want to be more exact, during mid-day, the sampling is every hour. He must also be watched for water-consumption and frequency of urination. His body strength must be gauged, and his diet strictly controlled. Other people could do a better job of this than I, but it must be constant, and not everyone is able to provide that care, due to their home and work situations.


He’s estimated to be eleven years old now, but still enjoys an active life. He loves to bat around the fuzzy mice, will charge the Track-ball and run about simply because he likes it. He will also jump onto the kitchen counters, possibly because I don’t like it. Parker still has his troubles with the other cats, so he remains in the library while I am absent or asleep. He would prefer the freedom of the apartment but the library is a comfy little room, so, while he may be bored in there, he is not suffering.

Parker is always on the look-out for food. His weight stubbornly refuses to diminish, but he is not fat; he’s a big-boned boy. Since his dental procedure some months ago, he is in good health, aside from his diabetes. He is a fun, friendly fellow. He lies at my feet while I wash the dishes and loves a good, sustained head-rub. His purr is rough and throaty; otherwise, his vocalizations are highly pitched, like a little kitten’s larynx has been put in the body of a tiger. His personality is definitely that of the extrovert.

Until the ideal home comes along, this solidly-built fellow will stay with me. It’s a bit crowded in the cosy apartment, but stepping over or around a fifth cat is not too much trouble. I’ve been doing it for a year. I can do it some more.

20 comments:

  1. Happy foster-gotcha day to Parker! He couldn't ask for a better home, IMO. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Parker! Sounds like you've got your foster family right under your paw, and you are such a handsome mancat too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful post about Parker. So many people can't be bothered caring for a special needs cat or an older cat. Parker is so fortunate to have you caring for him. God bless you, John!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was already taking care of my Tucker, who is diabetic; I'm actually glad that Parker's insulin and its delivery is different (syringes vs pen), as it has given me more experience. I had the room (literally: the library!) so I figured he could come to stay for a little while. Or a lifetime. Whichever.

      Delete
  4. A year already! How the time has flown by. He is very lucky to be in your care and he shows his appreciation by wanting to be close to you. You are very meticulous with managing his diabetes and it shows in how well he looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a year! Where did it go? I'd like to see Parker off insulin and maybe four or five pounds lighter, but so far, so good.

      Delete
  5. He's so handsome. Glad that he has a wonderful and understanding foster parent. Not many would take on this task. If he doesn't get adopted, I'm happy he's safe with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've told Parker that he has a home so long as I do. I'm glad he's here, too.

      Delete
  6. happee gotcha day buddy; we hope ya can stay right wear yur at act shoo a lee; but... if de rite home DOEZ come a long we wish ewe nothin but yeerz oh happeez N healtheez ~~~~ ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of people missing out on a great cat - but if no one ever realises it, Parker will have a home with me for as long as he needs it.

      Delete
  7. I would think it would be hard to give him up now even if the right person came along.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you are taking excellent care of Parker and I think he agrees. He really is such a charming boy. It would be hard for someone to want to adopt him from his fine home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you are taking excellent care of Parker and I think he agrees. He really is such a charming boy. It would be hard for someone to want to adopt him from his fine home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been surprised by a few adoptions we never thought would happen, but we must be wary. And yes, he's very charming. (Though my perma-cats think otherwise...)

      Delete
  10. Happy Gotcha Day darling Parker! We hope there are many happy years ahead for you with your foster dad and kitty family.
    Consistency is the catch when dealing with any animals needing highly specific as well as long term care. Then there is the financial obligation as well. I am so happy to know that he will be with you for as long as he needs a home, receiving the care he needs to be able to live a happy, healthy life. All of his fans love him so!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad that you are caring for Parker. He may be a foster, but I suspect he'll be with you for many more years because I have a feeling you wouldn't be willing to let him go. :)

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  12. "...weight stubbornly refuses to diminish", I like that. Sounds kinda like me!

    ReplyDelete