Sunday, January 6, 2019

Stethoscopes at the Ready



The new year has started with an absence of news at the cosy apartment, though this may change in the next few days. Both Parker and Raleigh are going to their respective veterinaries, the peachy one on Tuesday, and the orange-boy on Wednesday.

I am not worried about Raleigh. I believe he is progressing well. His reactions to me are still illogically split between sometimes scurrying away if I approach, and seeking out my lap if I sit down. I think he is still trying to figure out life here. But his fear is diminishing, and he stays put when I walk past much more often than he used to. The cold that struck him a couple of weeks ago was, I suspect, not truly a cold, but a bacterial infection. The medicine the doctor prescribed has alleviated it considerably, and I am sure the steroids Raleigh is taking have given his stomatitis a beating. I foresee a reduction in the amount of Prednisolone he is given, though it may not be eliminated all together.

Parker still concerns me. His appetite is not at all what it once was, and it has changed too swiftly merely to be due to age. He continues to eat, but not a great deal, and most foods do not find favour with him. Going for walks continues to excite him, and he plays, but his behaviour has changed in small but certain ways. I will want his doctor to conduct a senior’s blood-panel on him; I want his kidneys and thyroid considered.

For now, though, I am grateful these two are here with me, and pleased the other four are showing no signs of complaint. It has even been several days, now that I think of it, since Cammie has hissed at Raleigh. Perhaps I should have her examined, too…

17 comments:

  1. What a great photo of most of the team. They look pretty settled with each other. We hope the vets visit goes well. Do you catch a taxi/uber to get to the vets? Our taxi company is usually helpful if I say I have a cat in a cage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes a friend drives us; other times, I use a taxi. The only real problem with a taxi is knowing when to call: since I've no idea beforehand how long it will take to come, I run the risk of being late, so I usually end up being much too early for the appointment, which adds stress for the cat.

      Delete
    2. Yup.but, you have to...I know it has to be hard.

      Delete
  2. Good luck to both of them at the vet, and I hope there's nothing seriously amiss with Parker.

    RE: Poppy's comment about a taxi or uber: I usually call the same taxi company and tell them I have a cat in a carrier. Knock on wood I haven't had any problems, other than delays in a cab showing up sometimes, and crummy winter weather -- usually when Nicki has to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope both vet visits co well. I agree that a senior blood panel would be a good idea for Parker so at least you can hopefully eliminate some of your worries, or on the other hand, know what to treat for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you tried to make USG tests? Sometimes it can show you the issue from the different direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, that's one of the tests I want run.

      Delete
    2. Urine specific gravity tests measure the concentration of water and other ingredients in the urine, and can determine abnormalities in health. Parker's will indicate diabetes, of course, but it may show other things, as well, including kidney function.

      Delete
  5. Poor Parker. I agree that the tests could eliminate worries. Does he have an appetite stimulant? This helped my Jessie in her old age. Things look so cozy and it looks like Josie and Raleigh get along?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of an appetite-stimulant, but I will ask about it. Thank you.

      Delete
    2. It comes in both an ear rub form or a pill. Given every three days or so and it really works. It is called Mirtazapine.

      Delete
  6. Oh no you don't...you leave Cammie alone! LOL! Here's hoping the vet visits return good information. Poppy Q's question about transportation is an interesting one. My boss uses Uber every time he travels, but I've never used it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your upcoming vet appointments. Paws and fingers crossed that all will go well. I'm glad that you're getting Parker checked, and I'll be anxious to hear what his lab tests show. Please keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. doodz....best fishez two ewe both on de jour knee two de ewe noe wear place...N parker; if ewe DUE knead a jump start, a B12 injectionz a good way ta go; trooth buddy ♥♥♥

    { crackin up at your comment about cammie !! ☺☺☺

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am waiting to learn what the blood panel says. I am concerned for the boys. Cammie, quit that!~

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope the vet visit goes well. I am glad everyone is getting along.

    ReplyDelete