Sunday, July 21, 2019

Once More Unto the Breach


Tomorrow I return to work, and my holidays are over. I must bid farewell to Idylland (of which Holidayland is but a province) and return to Workadayland.

As usual on my vacation, I was able to achieve much, completing all but one of the chores on my list. That was, in fact, one of three I had added after I had begun my holidays, so strictly writing, I finished everything on the list, and then some. The final chore I will complete on the next long weekend.

I worked once more on the PAW Society calendar, most of which is done. I also cleaned all the cat-trees, and am quite pleased with the results. You could now eat off those trees if you wanted; I certainly won’t, but you can. I washed the storeroom where the litter-boxes are kept (fine litter-dust gets everywhere, and is not to be noticed except upon close examination, but walls needed to be wiped and washed anyway), cleaned blinds (I at last determined how to clean those flimsy metal wands that make up a set of Venetian blinds and which collect grime and dirt so well) and dealt with a dozen other tasks too large (or too small) to do at other times.

There were, as you may recall, some issues with the cats. Cammie is still doing well in her recovery. There have been no signs of vomiting, and she continues to eat, though the effects of the appetite-stimulator may be diminishing, as her enthusiasm for her food is doing likewise. I don’t expect it to disappear, but it was pleasant to see her suck up a heaping tablespoonful of soft-food in a few minutes and ask for more.

Raleigh too is better, though his problem seemed psychological. He still runs away from me now and then, but not always. I have been giving him eye-drops, which necessitates seizing him and holding him on my lap. But after the medicine is dispensed, Peachy doesn’t jumped off; he lies still and calm while I brush or pet him. He walks away about fifteen or twenty minutes later but is not panicky about it. This may change Tuesday, as I must take him once more to the veterinary hospital, for the effects of the eye-drops to be judged. More importantly, his mouth will be re-examined. His Prednisolone dosage was restored to a full pill; hopefully this will clear up some of the stomatitis that made a resurgence when the dosage was reduced. If not, his remaining teeth may have to come out, which will be hard on the boy.

It was a busy holiday, but an enjoyable one; any time away from work is. Since I took my vacation a month later than normal, and won’t next year, there are now only 45 weeks until my next holidays, instead of 49. Bonus!


15 comments:

  1. Vacation time always passes so quickly. I'm glad it was productive, and not solely focused on Cammie and Raleigh, though it's certainly good you were off at this time, particularly for your Princess.

    Best of luck returning to work and the "normal" schedule. And good luck with Raleigh as well.

    Continued purrs and purrayers from all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it was good to be off when Cammie was having another of her episodes. This was the worst yet; it would have been much more troubling if I had to work during its time.

      Delete
  2. It’s good to hear the cats are doing better. I’m sorry your vacation was under a cloud, but you’re right: at least you could be there for Cammie.

    This reminds me: is there any way to buy the PAW Society calendar online? When the last one came out, I checked their site, but the calendar seemed to just be sold “in person.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The PAW calendars may be ordered by contacting the Society; by email (pawsociety@shaw.ca) would probably be best in this case, providing a postal address to which to send them. Each calendar is $10 (Canadian) plus postage.

      Delete
  3. I sure am glad your sweeties are doing better, that is a vacation bonus indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such industriousness! Cleaning blind slats is 'way down on my list, since it's irritating as heck. At this point, I would rather buy new and toss out those old, stupid things! We purchased then when we first moved in 1991, and they were the cheapest darn things around. It's time to upgrade, and now that we aren't worried that some cat is going to chew through all of the cords, we have more choices. Cammie, please eat up sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate that first day back after a vacation feeling. It is always good to get back into a routine, but the older I get the less I enjoy work and could happily retire if the lotto let me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you had a good holiday although it doesn't sound very restful. It does give a feeling of satisfaction to achieve the things you had aimed for, and more.
    It was good for both you and Cammie that you were home during her episode of sickness. I hope she continues to improve and eat.
    I also hope that Raleigh's vet visit goes well and he doesn't become fearful again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am relieved that Cammie has begun to eat on her own. And I'm with you on the thought that it was most fortunate that you were home rather than working when Cammie had that horrible bad turn. The stress of worrying about them (been there and went through that with Robin and even Admiral occasionally) is so stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad to hear Cammie and Raleigh are improving. Way to go, guys! You sure had a busy vacation, all the cleaning you did notwithstanding. (Can you come to my house!!??) :-) Hopefully you got some well deserved rest as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. all things considering I'm glad you had a nice vacation and I would say much needed rest { somehow I think the rest part was lost in the shuffle } we in the land of trout are superstitious in nature; tis the Irish in the ancestry !!!! so we won't "jinx" cammie or raleigh; but just say....continued blessings from St Francis ☺☺☺♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear your vacation was so successful and you accomplished your tasks. Also good to hear all the wonderful kitties are doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boy that went by very quickly from my perspective so I'm sure it did for you as well. Good for you on getting all the chores done despite the health issues experienced by Cammie and Raleigh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you got done what you wanted and a bit more. I have been in stasis (knowing I have to sort endless bins of things I stored from my divorce and Mom and Sisters passing) since retirement and finally have gotten into gear the past month. The Cat Room is getting there we send purrs for the crew to keep on being as well as possible

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't envy you all your work, but what an achievement the Cat Room will be when it is finished.

      Delete