Saturday, July 20, 2019

Why I Couldn't Make the Bed Until 2 p.m.


Cammie’s battle with her latest episode continued on Friday. She vomited all Thursday night, throwing up reddish green foam. I tried to feed her the following morning, but she was having none of it. I had no choice but to take her to the hospital. Several things were done for her there.

She was physically examined this time, and nothing extraordinary was found. Blood was tested, and her potassium levels were down, though this may have been through dehydration. Her kidney failure has advanced to the later phases of stage two, but this as well may have been influenced by her current conditions. A large amount of fluids was given her. She was given another injection of Cerenia, as well as a mirtazapine pill. The former was to reduce stress on her stomach and eliminate vomiting, the latter to stimulate her appetite.

I am pleased to write that things have improved. After waiting a certain amount of time, I fed Cammie and she ate a good amount of Z/D soft-food. She ate a few more times Friday night (I didn’t want to feed her too much; I was afraid of causing a rejection of her meals, and thus vomiting.) But she did not throw up during the night, and this morning she consumed more food. Since last night, she has eaten half a 5.5 ounce tin of Z/D, and it is staying down, so far.

An interesting aspect of this event is that Cammie becomes very restless when she is hungry. I wonder if the mirtazapine is strong enough to cause some discomfort, if she doesn’t assuage it with some food in her tummy. When I first noticed this characteristic, I thought she was about to be sick; she seemed in fact to be looking for the food dish. Once that was provided, and she had eaten, she settled down.

The hospital called me this morning to see how the princess was doing. Her doctor would have been available until noon, though this weekend, I would have been able to call upon none of the hospital’s veterinaries, in an emergency. Provision is made in such rare cases for another hospital to take over the responsibilities temporarily, but for a number of reasons, I did not want to resort to that. Because of this situation, a pill of mirtazapine was given, rather than a transdermal cream, which I could have given. The pill is stronger and lasts three days; I likely would have had to give a rubbing of the cream each day. So far, as I have written, Cammie is doing well, and has not thrown up.

She is resting when not eating, and seems uninterested in roaming about, as she sometimes does. I am not surprised. With two drugs in her system (three, if one counts her daily high blood-pressure medicine), extra fluids (now absorbed) and what is likely an unnatural feeling of hunger, my Siamese girl is probably feeling out of sorts. But she is eating and keeping her food down. That is the important fact.

Cammie is, however, very affectionate and needy. I noted this earlier in the week. It may be a by-product of her blindness, a necessity for comfort and reassurance. She spends most of the night on my head now, first trampling me as if I were a grape in a wine vat, to find the right position. During the day, she enjoys lying on my chest, purring, up to half an hour at a time. I am glad that I have been home these past three weeks to accommodate her.

So, while my previous entry’s hopes may have been premature, this time I think there is true improvement. At the very least, a substantial amount of nutrition has entered her system, and won’t be coming back up. And yes, it was two o’clock in the afternoon before I was able to make the bed.


15 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that Cammie has improved. That's great news! Jessica has been on Mirtazapine pills, and as you noticed with Cammie, it has certainly improved Jess's appetite. Mirtazapine is used as an appetite stimulant in cats, but in humans it works as an antidepressant. I wonder if that is part of the reason for Cammie's change in attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers for the beautiful Princess. I just wish I had something more immediately constructive to offer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. And the first line of help we always offer our little ones.

      Delete
  3. You are happy to be trampled by Princess Cammie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know about anyone else, but even at
    my age..l pray..the few posts l follow, all
    have pussy~cats..at one time or another, they
    become poorly, so, l say a little prayer, and
    think of them, l don't get down on my knees as
    such, so, l tend to think and pray whilst moving
    about...!

    Nice to see the words..true improvement...! Bless!x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad Cammie is eating and the food is staying down. When Eric stopped eating we gave him pills to help his appetite. I can't remember if it was Mirtazapine or the others whose name I can't remember either but I think began with C. I do remember though that he was restless looking for food even after he had eaten. We used to joke that Flynn had better watch out or he would be next on Eric's menu.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had emailed you in reply to your comment re: Nicki, so disregard the part where I ask how Cammie is doing. :-)

    Well, I'm sorry she had to go back to the vet, but glad that she got fluids and a good checkup, plus the appetite stimulant. I hope that one is enough to kick-start her eating so that she'll eat without the administration of another pill.

    Continued purrs and prayers from us, to her, and to Raleigh too, if he needs them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Purrs and prayers from all of us too, any paw forward is a darn good thing. Keep eating sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So good to see her eating and improving! Thankfully you were on vacation to handle the crisis on the home front.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm happy to hear there is some improvement, though it's unfortunate she had to go back to the vet. Poor girl, I hope she's on the road to recovery again. Purrs from Sasha and Saku.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad to hear Cammie is better. A side note, I had to use Mirtazapine on Gracie when she was ill and she had what I thought were hallucinations. I am very familiar with the drug, because my ex was on it for his Parkinson's panic attacks. When I saw (at the time) vets used it as an appetite enhancer it surprised me as it is a benzodiazepine drug.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are so glad she is doing better after the fluids and medications. They do keep us up at times but missing sleep caring for our charges seems a small price in any context

    ReplyDelete