Sunday, January 3, 2021

A New Plan for Neville

There is an interesting development in Neville’s campaign against diabetes. The Eastside Cats reminded me that Tucker had undergone an experiment with a blood-glucose sensor that was implanted in his skin; the blood-sugar amounts were then read electronically by a monitor that could be passed over the sensor as frequently as every quarter-hour. I had found that device extremely efficacious. The Eastside cats wondered if the same device could be used for Neville.

Neville is my foster-cat, not strictly a perma-cat, and so goes to a different veterinary than do my other beasts. But I inquired of that veterinary about the senor. She said that one could be arranged. The Nevsky has an appointment with the doctor to fit the implant on Friday.

There is some confusion over the matter, possibly occasioned by different terms used for the sensor (which is placed in the skin) and the monitor (which reads the numbers). I was told originally that the monitor could be rented from any pharmacy. As I had discovered when Tucker underwent the experiment, this was not the case then, and nor is it now. Then, I was told by a veterinary technician that I would have to buy the monitor. This was followed by a telephone call (which I could not take but was recorded) explaining that I could borrow the veterinary hospital’s monitor. It was also stated that there is a way of using a smart-phone to read the numbers. This last would be most useful but probably involves downloading an application. As well, the hospital’s monitor won’t be available for a couple of weeks; if so, then I may need to re-schedule the Former Thin Man’s appointment, as there is no sense in implanting the sensor if the monitor will be unavailable for a week thereafter.

All of this will be cleared up, I hope, by a telephone call tomorrow.

The important thing is that, sooner or later, I may have a means, albeit temporarily, of reading Neville’s blood-sugar without subjecting him to eight or nine ear-pokes for a curve. This is significant, since I am discussing with his doctor the feasibility of changing the insulin used. It will be a great relief to Nev not to have to suffer pin-pricks every couple of hours for a day. He hates them, and I hate inflicting them.

I will keep readers apprised of developments. If this plan carries as I hope it will, 2021 will have a good start to it, at least for my Neville.

13 comments:

  1. Ah! That's great news for Neville and
    of course for you John..if it reduces
    your work~load, that would be a BIG help
    all round..!
    He's a lovely..lovely fella, bless him!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great news! Hopefully, once Neville can be monitored by the blood glucose monitor, his diabetes will be easier to control. You also might ask the vet about Purina CD. It's a special diet for diabetic cats that comes in canned and dry forms. I found it very helpful to control the blood sugars for the two diabetic cats I had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neville, I hope this comes about quickly.
    I wondered too, but didn't say anything as I know you knew such a thing existed and would ask after it. I hope this will be a good turning point for the Thin Man. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obviously, this vet's office doesn't have all of the information, but I know you will preserve! In this case, you may have more expertise than the vet, as far as what happens after the monitor is attached.
    My fingers are crossed, and Da Boyz have their paws crossed too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang, it should be that difficult, but then again there are humans running the show.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Certainly hope you can get the monitor and find out the ups and downs
    of Neville's diabetes. You have your hands full. It seemed to help you take care of Tucker. Hope you get the phone call to get it all rolling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope that works out for Neville - and you !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do hope this all comes together. It will be much better for Neville, and for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very promising news! We hope it's all sorted out and is a "go" as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've got every finger and toe crossed that the monitor issue is resolved quickly and Neville gets the sensor implant sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sure Neville will be happy not to have all those picks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This certainly sounds promising. Fingers and paws crossed that this all works out. It sounds like the sensor will be great for Neville AND you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We Sure hope this all works to the benefit of Neville

    ReplyDelete