Thursday, August 20, 2026

That Sudden Moment

A number of readers have asked how I am feeling. I am better; the worst aspects of whatever I had lasted only a day and a bit. A dry cough continues; I have found that a cough tends to linger after the more troubling symptoms of an illness disappear. I went back to work the day subsequent to staying home, and am recovered to a great extent.


More importantly, Coda has emerged from hiding.



I have been spending time lying on the floor in the back parlour, talking to him. Last night, he came out, bit by bit. He was still wary, but he was purring the whole time; this may have been, though, a nervous purr, used to reassure himself. In any case, he took the dare and showed himself. There always seems to be that one moment when a cat decides, suddenly, to risk the chance.



He even sniffed my fingers. I don’t think he liked the smell. He knows there are other cats in his new home, but knowing their presence and smelling it are two different things to a feline. That will be dealt with. In the meantime, he is becoming braver, more confident; he is playing, and looking out windows. He still has a week remaining in his quarantine; I will use the time to let him become more accustomed to me. I then intend to let him meet his fellow kittens, and perhaps Moxy.



Yes, Coda is a kitten. I mentioned that previously, but not his age, until yesterday. The veterinary explained to me that a cat’s adult molars, incisors and fangs (it’s silly to call them canines…) come in at different stages. I think she stated that the incisors grow in first; then the fangs, and lastly the molars. Coda does not have his molars, which places him at about five months of age. That makes him approximately two weeks older than the Tempos. Just the right age for making new friends.


12 comments:

  1. Wha oh, a kitten gang will be evolving!
    Glad to read that you are better, John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy that you are may as well say, all better! Super news and super news that Coda has come out more or less to make his acquaintance. Bless him. That little face is so cute and I have always said fangs. I won't call them canines either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coda, it is nice to see more of you! You will soon enjoy the fun of meeting fellow kitties and have the chance to look about further.
    Glad to here you are much better John. The cough gets to be aggravating after a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Coda!!

    And so glad you're feeling better. I hope the cough does not overstay its (un)welcome.

    (I also love how technically Coda came first lol - wonderfully cyclical reference/nature of cats)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear that you're better; that sounded like a nasty illness. And now that Coda has taken that first big step, may he relax and be happy in his new home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy to hear you're feeling better. It sounds like you had quite a nasty virus. It was also great to read that Coda is becoming more interested in his surroundings. He's such a beautiful kitten.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What good news, both that you are better and he is taking baby steps to come out and learn about his new world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Coda! Keep on being brave, your new home is filled with so much love and fun.
    Glad you are all better, John.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope the germs disappear soon. Glad to see Coda being brave.

    ReplyDelete
  10. guyz…yay for dad feelin better…bet he haz knot had any bass terd chkcn…huh….‼️😸 N 984 PAWZ UP coda…slo N steddy winz de race even if yur knot INA race…hope ewe make friendz with de mewsic catz 🎢🎡🎡🎢🐾‼️πŸ’š

    ReplyDelete