Monday, July 25, 2016

The Warden of the Marches

Cammie knocked the screen partially out of my bedroom window Saturday night. It occurred, of course, just as I was getting into bed. There was apparently an intruder-cat outside taunting the princess (actually, it was just another cat, passing by and looking in the window); Cammie takes great exception to such visitors. In her rage, she knocked the screen, with its frame, out of the window at one corner.

The screen did not come completely detached, and Cammie did not try to get out, though I was taking no chances and as soon as I saw what was happening, I grabbed her, tossed her onto the bed and shut the window pane. I don’t know whether Cammie would leave the apartment that way or not; I do believe that, in the heat of a moment, she would rush out after another cat, but probably not if she thought about it. But the cool-headed princess is not what I was worried about; it was the angry Cammie who may have wanted to tackle the intruder.

The next morning - after a stifling night spent with the window almost shut - I pushed the screen back into the window, something easily done, then devised a means of securing it. In my old house, I screwed small, t-shaped plates to the outside of the window frame to keep the screens in place. I didn’t believe I would have to do the same thing in the new apartment. And I cannot, as the frames are not wood, but plastic. However, a simple thin but strong metal plate across the corner of the screen’s frame should suffice. This will keep the frame from popping out more than an inch at that corner, which is the danger-zone. I will secure the library screen similarly.




I never thought that the whole screen coming out would be a problem; I feared Cammie tearing the screen itself. Unlike window screens of my youth, which were metal and stiff, these, like most products these days, are plastic and easily destroyed. That the princess may rip a hole in one is still a concern.

Cammie becomes incensed at what she views as intruders. I have a suspicion that, as much as she knows she is loved, she may still be anxious about her place in the household, and worry that she will be supplanted. It’s bad enough that she must share her home with three feline siblings. But a stranger inserting himself in my affections? That possibility will not be tolerated, so invaders must be warned off in no uncertain terms.

Thus, the princess dons her armour now and then, and maintains a watch on the marches of our little kingdom, especially at night. She is not to be trifled with; now that she has found her home, she intends to keep it, and keep it safe.

27 comments:

  1. Absolutely, a kitty has to patrol her territory and keep it intruder-free. Good job by Cammie! (And a good, easy solution on your part too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to see her defend her home - just not to that degree!

      Delete
  2. Cammie is a beautiful kitty. She looks so innocent, I can't imagine her getting upset enough to move the screen out. That was a good way to secure it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She can get pretty upset with things at times...

      Delete
  3. Thank goodness Cammie did not escape! Window screens in modern windows are very fragile. A few years back my sister and I came home to a huge hole in one of her screens and her small dog waiting for us on the porch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A scary moment for your sister and you. It's a good thing her dog was a smart one to stay put.

      Delete
  4. poor Cammie - intruder cats are no fun. We actually have screen inserts that fit between the window and the outside screen - they wedge into place and keep cats off the windowsills. you can upgrade the screen to "pet safe" but we aren't sure it is worth it in a rental....but something to consider. your plan seems like a great idea - we like locking down the corners

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely be keeping a watch on how the screens fare.

      Delete
  5. cammie....on ta plan B huh !!!

    we IZ glad ya dinna get out; that coulda been a...big mess...for lack oh better werdz....

    gram paw dude got inta a fite with a naybor cat that came up two de paddy oh screen ona couple diffrunt oh cassionz, while de screen dinna pop outta de frame; thanx bee ta cod... it did bow ...a bunch...knot ta menshun de holes that was put in it...

    it waz scaree stuff act shoo a lee....de food gurl went out N buyed everee "pee plant" in de garden shop N lined de paddy oh with em afturr that ~~~ ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those are the moments that make a human's heart stop.

      Delete
  6. What a good girl she is guarding her territory.

    As Miss Pops is an indoor outdoor cat she loves checking out for naughty cats sneaking onto her territory and guards her house well.

    In another house we lived in though one night I came into the spare room and saw one pussy cat looking at me, and then a 2nd one, as the neighbours cat had snuck in and gone to sleep in the laundry basket, and I had to chase it out of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Cammie is obviously very protective of her home and her dear dad. I just love her so much.
    Screens and cats! One would think that someone could have come up with something a bit more sturdy. i use sort of the same method as Random Felines ( another screen wedged on the inside of the exterior screen) to keep my crew contained. My problems, though , arise more from nails slashing the screening rather than having the whole frame popping out. I have metal screens, which are easily damaged by cat nails but they tend not to get escape sized holes. The thicker nylon pet screening has worked fairly well for friends. I am going to use your excellent solution and add some corner braces to my windows, just in case...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The previous tenants in my apartment had a cat living with them who was still unable to be touched (but they were keeping her anyway) and I suspect the holes already in the screens were made by her. Cammie has made similar holes. I may have to go with a secondary screen.

      Delete
  8. Great job Cammie! Who knew you that a ferocious lioness dwells within you. Good job on your daddy's part securing that screen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done protecting your property, Cammie! My mum says I turn from a gentle loving boy into a screaming maniac if an intruder dares to come on to my land.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope the intruding cats got the message and will stay away from Cammie's property. Cammie is doing a good job of protecting her family and property. But I hope no more tearing at the screens! A squirrel ate a hole in our screen but luckily not a big one. I always worry about how well the screens are installed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The window frames here are new, but alas probably as well-made as everything else new these days...

      Delete
  11. Good for Cammie! She's certainly a force to be reckoned with. I love your solution for keeping the screens in place. I'm going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for stopping by to leave kind words and wishes for Moses. We appreciate it.
    When Moses was well, he was very good at "pinging" the metal screens on our windows with a claw. His way of getting attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope however long Moses is with you - and may it be long indeed - he remains happy and carefree.

      Delete
  13. I don't trust the old screens in my house, so I never open the windows. Glad no one got out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Saku is the only one who has ever bothered the screens but then again he's the only one that every pays attention to who/what might be passing by.

    Good for Cammie for being so protective. There's a lot of might in that little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, you did really good. Our Pungy fell out of the window when the screen she was leaning on gave way. We had no idea it would do that. We had the window open because the AC was broken. She fell out just before the was scheduled to go be spayed...and came home with kitten. But now we have Sneaky Pie, Piewhackits, and Odysseus.

    ReplyDelete