Thursday, September 29, 2016

His Fear of Food

If you have been reading this irregular record of my cats for a length of time, it will come as no surprise to you that Tucker is a sensitive creature, even for a cat. This is an animal who, when he wants to show affection, will come from across the apartment to rub against my leg, but the slightest movement on my part while he is doing this will send him scurrying away. It may be expected, then, that his reactions to food are also sensitive.

The roly poly one throws up his food, usually the soft-food, now and then. It’s not often, but it happens. When it does, he is afraid that he will be chastised. Sometimes, when I have groaned at having to clean up a mess, Tucker has taken it personally; the other cats do not. Thus, I have tried to refrain from any adverse comment when the chuck is upped. That’s difficult when someone disgraces a bedspread or something similar. But, no matter my reaction, Tucker takes it hard. This time, he threw up in the nylon tunnel. It wasn’t a great amount; it rarely is, with him. But it left him temporarily afraid of soft-food.


Don’t be alarmed. This is Tucker of which I write, after all. He is eating and, actually, eating well. And he is no longer frightened of tinned nutrition. But when it is soft-food meal-time, the sausage-cat still hastens to hide - in the nylon tunnel. Why he chooses this spot, the location of what he may consider his shame, in which to hide, I don’t know. But that is where I have been giving him his initial bowls of food. He is no more reluctant to eat his portions now than before, but he nonetheless prefers them, at least at first, in the nylon tunnel. He eventually comes out, and second or third helpings (as I wrote above, he is eating well) are provided outside the tubular environment. And just in case you’re wondering how fat I want my pets, each helping is little more than a heaping teaspoon’s worth. I don’t think any one cat of mine has eaten more than half a small tin at one sitting.


And so, while I serve Josie’s meals to her on my bed (yes, I know; that’s begging for ruined bedclothes), Cammie’s on her cat-tree or the library bookcases and Renn’s in his cylinder-house, I cater Tucker’s while he lies in the nylon tunnel. This will undoubtedly change, and change suddenly, in a week, a fortnight, or a month. It usually does.

I see some people serving their cats’ food in bowls on the kitchen floor, in a spot designated for food, every meal-time. That doesn’t happen in my household. Here, I have cats who fear their food, but who look forward to eating it nonetheless. Here, I have Tucker.

12 comments:

  1. Wouldn't you love to know what he's thinking by this? Ah, well, cats have their own logic. As long as he's eating well and happy (ditto for the others).

    Once in a very rare while I'll give Nicki his wet food somewhere else, like the couch (it's covered with blankets anyway) or even a few weeks ago, outside. He'll eat anywhere. Derry, on the other hand, doesn't seem to realize that canned food can be eaten anywhere, so it always goes in "his" spot at the top of the basement stairs. He eats his kibble beside Nicki, though. (I have to separate them for the canned because Derry eats that slowly, whereas Nicki inhales it and then goes and eats Derry's too). Derry has learned, however, that at night, any soft food left out is at Nicki's station, but is fair game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicki sounds like how Josie used to be. I'd almost forgotten that she used to finish everyone's meals for them.

      Delete
  2. Your cats definitely have interesting personalities! Love the last photo of Tucker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. but he's sooooo cute.... :) silly mancat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tucker is so cute! However, I see he and your other cats have you well trained. But I think anyone who has a cat becomes well trained. I know mine have me wrapped around their little paws.

    ReplyDelete
  5. guys...we say 984 paws up two dad; therz noe rool sayz a catz gotta eat in de same spot all de time everee day for like ee tern a tee......peepulz dont...sum times they eat in, sum timez out, sum timez at werk, sum timez atta palz, sum timez at de tabull, sum timez bye de tee vee box....sew we say.....eat what cha want & wear ya want coz varieteez a good thing... { pluz sum kinda spice in life ore de like } ~~~~~ ☺☺☺♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tucker, you really are quite a character. Afraid of soft food? Whatever will you do on Halloween Night? My Holly is rather fearful of me being around her food and waits eagerly for me to leave the kitchen so she can enjoy her meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of cats who are social-eaters; I guess Holly is an anti-social-eater...

      Delete
  7. Tucker is indeed sensitive, and has such a sweet character.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Sasha is the one who likes to eat away from the others, so often enjoys his meals on a chair in the sun room or in the living room. Saku tends to eat too quickly and my up-chucking cat. Unfortunately he often does it right in the bowl and ruins his entire dinner. Though I suppose that is better than on my bed or a rug.

    Sweet Tucker, he obviously wants never to displease you. (I can't say that about my Saku...I'm an afterthought in his world.)

    ReplyDelete