Tuesday, December 6, 2016

The Best of Unfriends

None of my cats is a friend to any of the others. Tungsten and Renn came close to friendship, the tiny terror and my big boy. But the four currently in my family are not pals. They try to ignore each other as much as possible, and, when that is impossible, avoid each other.

But now and then, they have a little fun, usually at each other’s expense. It’s true that Josie and Tucker will sometimes chase each other for mutual enjoyment but that’s rare. More often, one animal is victimizing, in a mild way, another.


Josie will chase Cammie, though not with a great deal of commitment. My Chubs will sometimes come as close as she will be allowed, then suddenly turn and scratch on a cat-tree, as if that had been her intention all along. Renn will lope toward another beast, then stop suddenly, leaving the other cat with a fear of a collision. Once, I saw my big boy rush at Cammie, who crouched low, ears back and hissing, only to have her ‘attacker’ leap over her on to the couch. Even Tucker will try to intimidate the princess, though he isn’t very successful at it.


But, lest you believe that Cammie is a perpetual victim, let me assure you that she is not. Just this past weekend, she took up a position behind the nylon tunnel, with Tucker lying peaceably on the other side. Cammie repeatedly lunged around the tunnel at the roly poly, trying, from what I observed, to give him a heart attack. At last satisfied with her efforts, she turned and sauntered away, almost sniggering. But the tables turned, as Tucker hurried after the princess and smacked her on the side of the bum. Cammie’s rear end shot up into the air about eight inches (while her front stayed earthbound) and when it came down again, she spun and hissed, hissed, hissed.


I laughed. I told her that she couldn’t complain after her behaviour. She disagreed.

So, while life in my apartment is not filled with feline camaraderie, it is pretty good; four roommates, none of whom really likes the others, but who tolerate the situation, and even make some fun out of it. At least they don’t hog the shower and leave me without hot water.

23 comments:

  1. sometimes we say it is all good so long as there is no bloodshed. :) we are lucky in that most everyone here gets along (though certain cats do wish that Junior would seek out other accommodations)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *I* laughed! That would have been hilarious to see -- poor Cammie! (Or not so poor, given she was tormenting Tucker first.)

    I can't say Nicki and Derry are bonded, and Nicki tends to assert his dominance quite often, but they seem to get on well enough -- maybe as well as any non-littermate cats will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great post! When Chuck and I were first married we lived with my sister. We had one cat while she had a cat and a dog. Our cat wanted to be friends with my sister's cat but she wouldn't have it. So instead my sister's dog and our cat became friends and stayed friends their whole lives.
    Sounds like your crew have worked it all out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs and cats sometimes become closer friends than cats and cats, strange to write.

      Delete
  4. Watching your cats sounds like a great source of entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My four don't get along at all, which saddens me a great deal. Potter--who is approximately the size and weight of a hippopotamus--often bullies the others, Kate hates all three of them--particularly Ernie, whom she is always tormenting--and poor gentle Mac just longs for the days when he was an only cat. I think the problem may be that they all came into the house at different times, leading to a lot of "territory defending." As I say, it bothers me a great deal, but I'm stumped to know what to do about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to read that about your cats. Mine adjusted a bit better when we moved to the apartment, but they were doing all right before that. I guess it just depends on the cats involved.

      Delete
  6. Your description of the cats' social interactions was LOL. My fur kids get along for the most part, except for Danni, who is not well liked by the others. I guess that's because she always hogs the food and toys. On occasion, I've had to step in and prevent the others from picking on her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Danni hogs the food and toys because not well liked... I feel sorry for the cats who are picked on. Though none of mine are friends with each other, I feel lucky that they accept the situation as they do.

      Delete
    2. I hadn't thought of it that way. You may be correct. Thank you for your insight.

      Delete
  7. guys....ppsssttttt....when dadz fast a sleep two nite; tern de faucett on, matterz knot wear, ta de hot side N let it run slow....find sum ear plugz coz two morrow when him iz gettin reddy for werk...N himz reddy fora bathe ~~~~~~~~ YOWZERZ !!!!!! talk a bout a brisk cold mornin wake up !!!! ♥♥♥☺☺☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've warned you before, guys, about giving my lot ideas. They'll take your ideas and run with them. And tonight is bath-night.

      Delete
  8. Oh yes, what I would do without roommates (read daughter) who hogs all the hot water.

    I howled at the description of Cammie and Tucker. She definitely got what she deserved.

    Sami has been in love with Sasha since she came home and follows him pretty much every where he goes. For the most part, he doesn't mind her but has been known to smack or bit her if he's had enough. Saku came along when all the others were grown and has always been the bratty little brother. There is a bit of whappy paws and hissing that occurs but it has gotten better as he has aged and now, as you've seen, they can all sleep on the couch (or the bed) at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that mine mellow toward each other as time goes by - but I'm not depending on it.

      Delete
  9. I have four roomates who do not like one another in particular although there is great tolerance on each of their parts for one another. It's an interesting dynamic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. In my family, my male Siamese and any male with Siamese blood is wildly popular with my girl cats.
    Otherwise it's a houseful of cats engaged in parallel play, just like toddlers. Actually , it's a bit better at nap /bed time. Everyone will join me on my bed , necessitating me hanging my legs over the side. No cat likes to sleep lengthwise on the bed parallel with me. It's across for everyone. But they all manage to get along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny about how they sleep with you - not restful for you, but funny. Only Josie lies perpendicularly to me, thank goodness, especially since everyone but Cammie sleeps on the bed, at least on weekends. Some day, I hope to have Cammie there, too.

      Delete
  11. MOL Me and mes new sis Raena have an uneasy alliance at da moment. Mommy says it's a beginnin' and things will get better, but me's not nearly da kitty sis Lexi was and so me's in no hurry to warm up to and welcome sis Raena into mes heart. We did luv seein' all da fotos of such gawjus kitties. Big hugs to all.

    Luv ya'

    Dezi and Raena

    ReplyDelete
  12. Or use up all the milk and put the empty carton back in the fridge, or leave dirty pots in the sink. You are the centre with a cat at all four quadrants looking up to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Sometimes I feel as though I'm surrounded.

      Delete
  13. Sorry to hear they don't really care for one another.

    ReplyDelete