Monday, January 16, 2017

Introducing Parker

My house-guest arrived yesterday afternoon. Parker is a big, friendly, orange fellow, about ten years old. Initially, I locked my beasts away in the bedroom - except for Cammie, who was high up on the tallest cat-tree - and let Parker roam about. Then, he went into the library that had been prepared for him. He has a special diet, and a schedule for eating, so, when I do integrate him with mine, there will be some adjustment in the availability of food, though it won’t be something to which no one can grow accustomed.


The injection of Parker’s insulin will take a little refinement on my part. He receives his medicine by syringe, rather than pen. The needles are long, and Parker’s skin does not pinch readily, as does Tucker’s. I may be receiving syringes with shorter needles. Trying to make sure that the needle doesn’t go through the skin and out the other side, or penetrate into muscle (or into my finger), making certain a cat is not hurt, while trying to inject medicine, all in a half-second or so, is quite the operation. Shorter needles would facilitate this.


My first attempt at injection was not a success. I had to call Parker’s foster-guardian for help but, as life goes sometimes, I tried again and successfully gave him his shot literally as the foster-guardian was ringing my doorbell. And this morning, though Parker felt the prick of the needle, the injection was completed successfully. It will take some time before he and I are both used to each other, but I am satisfied we will make a good team against his diabetes.


Aside from this, Parker is an easy-going guest. He sheds at a mere touch, and has a few mats in his fur; he doesn’t care for combing or brushing, but I will try to get him accustomed to it. He purrs a great deal. I spent half an hour with him before bed-time; he lie at my feet, purring and flexing his paws the whole time. I think he is one of those cats who simply enjoys human company. He misses his foster-guardian, but I will try to make up for her absence as much as I can.


Then there are my cats. I will slowly integrate Parker with them, but I don’t believe giving him time by himself would be a bad thing. He has always lived with several cats, and I think he may like being alone (or at least alone with a person). But I will see how things proceed. He may surprise me and become great friends with one of mine. (Actually, Parker being friendly enough for that would not surprise me; mine being friendly enough for that would.)


And, finally, an aside about Tucker. I was preparing the syringe for Parker, siphoning insulin from its vial. Tucker, lying on a chair at the dining table, saw me do this. He dropped to the floor, went into the sitting room and lie down. He had likened the shape of the syringe to that of his insulin pen, and thought it was time again for his own shot. What a good little patient.

14 comments:

  1. good boy Tucker :)

    Parker sure is handsome and hopefully you can get into a routine with him that works for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say first that Tucker doing that just makes my heart melt. What a good boy and what a tribute to you and how you tend him.
    As for Parker, I am again afflicted with the melting heart syndrome. How dear he seems and I love his look. And thank you for taking over his care for now. He will be grateful if he isn't already. I know *I* am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Parker looks like a wonderful fellow. I do have a soft spot for orange cats.
    Cute story about Tucker.
    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome, Parker! I hope things go smoothly for the duration of his stay, and yes, that you're able to get shorter needles. Ugh and shudder. He looks perfectly relaxed in your photos, I will say that.

    Aw, Tucker! Indeed, what a good patient. Even Nicki's not that good. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like Parker is a sweetheart! I'm sure he will settle in quickly. I've found the new cat is not the problem - it's the existing cats that take awhile to get used to the new kid on the block. I was surprised that you described the insulin needles as being long. Insulin needles are usually very thin, (maybe 26 or 28 gauge), and quite short. Consequently, if they are injected quickly, the animal hardly feels them. But I'm sure in no time you and Parker will find the insulin injections are no big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love Parker's coloring and markings! I hope you and he get used to the needles (or you are able to use a shorter needle).

    Tucker is such a good boy! It's pretty clear there is a lot of love and trust in your relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww Tucker. Poppy would be sharpening her claws under the couch.

    Nice to meet you Parker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aaaaaaaaaaaaw Parker be very handsum. So glad things are working out. Mommy says you purrobably already know, but a kitty used to other kitties shouldn't be alone too long or they get territorial and things can get hissy. MOL and tucker you be pawsum too. big hugs to all.

    Luv ya'

    Dezi and Raena

    ReplyDelete
  9. parker; whitefish waves two ewe dood; we hope ya get settled in with everee one bee for ya noe it.....sorree bout de hole shotz thingz.....we iz mor N thanx full we due knot knead ta go thru thiz....for any reezon.....

    N cat father ~~~~~ ♥♥♥..thatz all we can say.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tucker is such a dear boy. You must handle his injection very well because it appears he views his injection time as together time.
    Are you drawing up insulin from a vial and doing syringe injections instead of pen? Hurrah for you. Another valuable skill for your cat care skills bank. Parker looks like a real sweetheart and an "easy " boy as well. By easy I mean even tempered, cooperative , an all 'round good guy. I can't wait to hear how he interacts with your cats. He looks like he'll be a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. He is a handsome boy. Hopefully someone will get you the nice little insulin syringes with the short needles. Tucker is such a good one isn't he. Good luck with integration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so sweet about Tucker! Parker is lovely. I am sure he will adjust and come to enjoy your company.

    ReplyDelete