Friday, October 20, 2017

Bending the Rules

My cats are allowed to go most places in the apartment. They are permitted on the furniture, in the bathroom, on the bed and, as readers may have seen from previous entries, on the dining table. But they may not be on the kitchen counters. In my previous homes, they were allowed on a counter very briefly, in order to jump further onto the top of the refrigerator. But in this apartment, there is not the room for a cat on top of that appliance, and therefore their excuse for climbing onto the counters has been nullified.

There are exceptions to every rule, however. In his continual quest for food, Parker likes to explore the kitchen counters and cupboards. (He is not starving; his weight has been constant for several months, despite my attempts to reduce it.) I discourage this, and when I heard from the bedroom noises in the kitchen that indicated my foster-cat was again hunting, I emerged to admonish him once more.

But the orange boy was not after food this time. For the past few days, we had had tremendous winds, tremendous even for southern Alberta. They stripped the trees of their leaves, ready to fall as they were, and tossed about those on the ground. At my kitchen window, a small dust-devil seized the debris and threw it circles, even against the pane. This attracted Parker’s attention, and he wanted a closer look.







I like to see the cats interested in things, distracted from the routine. I couldn’t, therefore, tell the sturdy-boy to get down from his perch while he was so enthralled by the show being put on by nature, inches away. As you can see, he became quite involved in it. So, for several minutes, I bent the rules for him, and he enjoyed himself. After all, if something bends, it doesn’t break, right?

14 comments:

  1. Next time you could hold him up so it's easier for him to see out. If he likes to be held! :-D

    I'm forever impressed at a cat's ability to balance on small ledges. And in Parker's case, on his hind feed too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hold him, but he doesn't care for it too long. I think he's too big for me to hold comfortably.

      Delete
  2. The pictures of Parker remind me of my cats. Each year, birds build a nest under my air conditioner. The cats love to sit on the window sill and watch "bird TV". You're right - it is fun watching the cats enjoy themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was up there again today. The wind is putting on quite the show for him.

      Delete
  3. I agree, always let a kitty have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an excellent Foster Dad to Parker! I would have done the same were it me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky Parker! I'm with you John, he was enjoying himself and besides which I suspect we've eaten our share of cat hair over the years so a little more won't hurt. ;)

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Double delight. We so enjoy watching them watch something they so enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen that there are cat beds that have suction cups that stick onto windows. It looks like Parker might need one up there, as it looks like a great viewing spot.

    Like you - Miss Pops can go anywhere and sleep anywhere, although she has not shown any interest in climbing up on the kitchen counters at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear, no counter-tops or appliances of any kind for this big girl. Otherwise, I have free reign throughout our little 600-some square feet of home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great for Parker that he gets to watch some "real" tv! He is balancing well on that strip of wall. I love watching my fur babies when they are interested in what's happening outdoors. Have a great weekend John!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Parker is a weather - chaser. It is always such fun watching cats when they are immersed in something of interest to them. Bending rules is always permitted.

    ReplyDelete