Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Café Cosy: the New Hot Night Spot

The food and water available for the outside cats seems to be finding favour with them. A neighbour of mine, who is retired, tells me that the bowls are visited by at least three cats that she has seen, usually in the very early morning.

One of the cats is orange; one evening by opening the patio door to recharge the water-bowl, I accidentally chased away a largish orange fellow who had a white-tipped tail. He evidently was not scared permanently away. There is also a black and white long-haired cat. And my neighbour has seen an all-black cat at the bowls, too. Assuming this is one of the pair of black cats I have seen, that would make four who visit the bowls for refreshments. The two black ones I have witnessed eating simultaneously from the bowl, which I am told suggests that they are family, or at least a bonded pair; I tend to think of them as mother and daughter, though I have no reason to suppose this.

I was gratified to learn of these visits. It means that cats have found the food and water and are habitually partaking of them. They may have homes, but I suspect that some at least are community cats, shy of people, and with no regular source of sustenance. I am glad to be able to provide them with some. I am still investigating the possibility of a shelter, though I am not sure the landlords would approve.

In the meantime, as I have no new photographs of my elusive diners, who come to eat in nocturnal darkness, here is a picture of Josie, resting on the Tackle Fish, her tail slowly rising and falling contentedly. (She is not regaining her lost poundage, by the way; she just spreads out a bit when flat on the floor…)

12 comments:

  1. guyz...blessings two yur dad for helpin out like he doez...we NOE de catz apurreciate it; N Josie...yur tackle fish ROCKZ !!!!!! thatz a sturgeon if we ever saw one !!! ☺☺☺♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such good news! I'm so glad your community cats are taking advantage of the food and water you've put out for them. With winter coming, I'm sure they appreciate your help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't come every day or night, but I know they visit the food more often than not; that's gratifying.

      Delete
  3. We're so glad the community cats are coming to eat and drink, that's wonderful. Thank you for taking care of them!

    As for Josie, she looks adorable, so sweet. BTW, some of us also spread out a bit when we rest on the floor. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is good to know that the community cats are taking advantage of the buffet you lay on for them. I know they must be very grateful for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Josie, I may have the same issue. I'll check. xxx =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good to hear your food station is being used. What a treat it must be for these poor hungry and cold animals to have much needed food in their tummies. Imagine the relief , after a fruitless day of hunting, finding food and water to keep body and soul together and to see you through the bitter night. Food is frequently taken for granted by us and our kitties when really it is a blessing beyond measure. Another oft overlooked gift for which to be thankful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. My own meals may not be the most exciting, but I try to make them nutritious, and I have a full stomach when I go to bed at night. Not everyone, human or animal, can claim that, so I am grateful.

      Delete
  7. So glad the outside cats have found their food source.
    Josie looks so content. Please give her a hug from me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure it is gratifying to know the outside cats have some care. I suspect if they are showing up very early in the morning, they are likely feral or abandoned. Poor babies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you for providing food and water to the community cats. It is so sad to think they are having to fend for themselves, especially in the winter cold. Josie must be thankful she has a loving home.

    ReplyDelete