Monday, December 18, 2017

The Stockings Were Hung...and the Christmas Tree Raised

I was able to find a space for my Christmas tree, after all.


I want to thank all those who made suggestions of how I could put up a tree. The table-top tree idea didn’t work as the only table I have is the dining table, which I use for writing, as well as eating. There isn’t room for a coffee-table in the sitting room, not if I want the cats’ nylon tunnel there and space for all the beasts (and myself) to walk about. A real tree isn’t permitted in the apartment building.

The most interesting idea was an outside tree, but with the wind we get here that isn’t practical. The wind often blows as strongly as forty or fifty miles per hour, and this past month, we’ve had day after day of it. I couldn’t decorate the tree except for lights, anyway. As well, the sudden appearance of a tree might frighten off the outsider-cats just when they are coming to trust the location for food and water.

Looking at my sitting room, however, I realised that I could put away a small end-table for the Twelve Days and have space. So far, the new (and temporary) arrangement is successful. I did have to speak sternly to Parker, as he was showing too much attention to the tree and its ornaments. But he now knows that he is not supposed to be near there, so a simple warning from me is enough to move him on. Cammie too likes rubbing up against the branches, but does not do it often.

So the tree is up, and the stockings are hung. The big day is swiftly approaching and, with the tree in place, it feels quite like the Yuletide is here. I hope everyone’s preparations are progressing and that they are looking forward to a joyful holiday.

13 comments:

  1. Your home looks lovely! And since all the cats have been on their best behavior (???), I'm sure Santa will fill each stocking with wonderful toys and catnip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they'll get some of my Christmas dinner at the very least.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes, I think it will do nicely there for the Twelve Days.

      Delete
  3. I am happy that you did indeed find a way that 6you could have your tree and hang the stockings. I am innovative occasionally. My tree will be up but it will be down after 48 hrs. The space taken is needed otherwise but we can be inconvenienced for awhile for the sake of Christmas. Merry Christmas all of you. From us to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did find a spot, that's great! Your tree looks great there, and it IS festive to have one, even a little one. I don't regret not putting up my larger one this year, I like the little tabletop one, and with my other little white lights strung up, I think my downstairs looks cosy and inviting. As does yours! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! Love the wee stockings for the kitties1

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks good. I hope Santa is good to you and the kitties.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tree is lovely and it looks like you found the ideal spot. Our tree is up high which allows me to admire it with its lights from wherever I sit. And so far, Holly has not noticed it. Her stocking is already filled with catnip toys so we shall see how long it takes....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope the tree makes through Christmas. This isn't Holly's first Christmas with you, is it?

      Delete
  8. Hurrah! I knew you’d find a way to have a tree. And it
    looks lovely. Something special to enjoy on these nasty nights. I leave mine up quite a long time. Dark and dreary weather always gets me down. If you ever
    want to try a tree outside, a bit of wire and some shatter proof ornaments will do the trick. A wire from the top, attached to something stationary, helps too. But your winds may really pose a problem. Good idea not to try this year. The poor homeless kitties may not know what to make of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I leave my tree up for the whole Twelve Days of Christmas, and take it down only on Epiphany. It makes it more of a season rather than just a hurried single-day event.

      Delete
  9. I am glad you found the ideal spot for your tree.

    ReplyDelete