Sunday, February 25, 2018

Get Away from My Home!



My foster-cat, Parker, of course thinks of the cosy apartment as his home. That is as it should be. And that being the case, he wants to defend it against any cat he feels might be intruding. This applies to the outsider-cats who come by just for the food I leave for them.

The interesting thing is that Cammie used to behave in much the same way as my sturdy-boy does now. The princess still shows an interest in any cat who may be seen through the windows, but she does not become excited about their presence, unless they approach very close and she can smell them through an open window. Parker, however, will sometimes challenge a strange cat, whapping the window-panes to warn him off. Even if it doesn’t go that far, his tail flicks furiously, like a stick on a drum-skin. Perhaps Cammie, no longer the newest, has little anxiety over being displaced – that is Parker’s worry now.

That is how he behaved when the two black cats came by on the weekend for a daylight meal. They did come quite near – but, as I tried to reassure the orange-boy, they were not intending to enter his home. They were just enjoying a meal at the cafĂ©.

(You may note my solution to having the outside food-bowl exposed to the elements. It is a nylon shopping bag, stiffened on the bottom and sides to create a kind of box. It is on one side, facing away from snow, sleet and wind, and weighted with a flat stone, on which is the food-bowl. I placed the bowl nearer and nearer the shelter, until, now, it is inside. These two felines, at least, have overcome any fears of it being a trap. I think others may have, or at least will. So far, this solution is working. Though Parker may disagree all together with the point of leaving food for outsider-cats…)


19 comments:

  1. I am amazed that the visitors are not at the window attempting to see anything they can of the fur family inside. That would not be good for Parker's state of mind if they did make that decision. Been there with Katie -and it was awful. She is highly excitable when it comes to outside cats. I wish she would live and let live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is one outsider cat who has looked in the windows, and would probably come in, if given the chance. But he doesn't come around often.

      Delete
    2. Katie was so angry and worried that after asking the Vet for advice over these horrific melt-downs, I had to cover her two main viewing windows with opaque cling covers. It looked bad, inside and outside but she could not see out of them any longer and get so upset. That went on for a YEAR!

      Delete
    3. Katie's all right now in that regard, isn't she?

      Delete
  2. Does Parker puff up and get the bottle-brush tail too? I hope that he, at least, doesn't redirect any aggression toward the other cats in your home. (Nicki will turn on Derry and fight, unfortunately.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strangely, Parker doesn't puff up much. And after he's done watching the outsiders, he calms down quickly. I'm grateful for that. There's no fighting inside because of it, thank goodness.

      Delete
  3. We too feed the outside feral cats and they can be seen through the window by our 3 inside ones. Our cats are pretty good about other cats. They will watch them at the window and even when a few of the outside ones come up to the window, it doesn't bother ours. Sometimes I think it's like a 2 way TV with each watching what's going on in the 'other world'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like Parker has been designated "Chief Watch Cat", and he's taking his job very seriously. Your idea for covering the outside food bowls is great, and I'm sure the outside cats appreciate the food and the shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I now have 4 outside cats that were once in a feral community that got displaced because they are erecting a building onto the site of what was once their home. That being said, two of them are gingers and one is a goofy boy I have started calling Buddy. He just doesn't realize how much anguish he causes ALL the other cats , including my own. So we get you Parker!

    ReplyDelete
  6. parker.....itz total lee awesum how dadz helpin theez guyz...984 paws UP two him; but if gram paw dude were still heer; him wood say....eye agreez with ewe.....he wood go inta "ewe iz on me propurtee mode" if him SMELLED a cat frum 5 milez out ! ☺☺♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chuck and Angel grew up with The O Cats, but Manny and CB have yet to discover Sweetie and POM. POM comes up on the front porch often, so we know Manny and CB can smell him, and they watch from the windows, looking down on the ground where The O Cats prowl. Our feeding station is an old card table, with the legs cut off so the 'roof' is at an angle for rain runoff. POM, however, likes to sleep up there, so there is a bulge...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arghhh! I almost finished my comment and poof! it disappeared.
    The outside cats are very appreciative of the buffet you supply for them, I am sure.
    I can understand Parker's displeasure though because Flynn was just the same. He only had to see a strange cat in his fields and he lost all reason and would chase them off ignoring my calls to come back. I always had to be alert on our walks, and if I saw an intruder we would take a different direction so he didn't see it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are used to seeing a variety of outside diners here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Parker, you needn't worry about the outside cats. You have a warm home and plenty of food. does Parker believe the entire property belongs to him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the sturdy-boy believes there should be a neutral zone surrounding the apartment.

      Delete
  11. Parker makes a good guard cat, or at least an alert system - you'll always know when there is a visitor at the food bowls.

    Just got caught up reading your posts during my absence. I laughed when I read how the cats permeate your life. Congrats on the award - well deserved!

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  12. When i feed the feral cats outside of my house. They always give a little knock on my screen door with their paws. My little ones just stare at them. Just sometimes they will hit the glass to say hello. Thanks for sharing these pictures.
    World of Animals

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also feed cats living outside, especially during winter time. But my cants cant see them. I have no idea about their reaction for another cat.
    Sometimes my cats can hear them and they usually don't care about their meows :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Parker is right to be vigilant. As long as the visiting cats stick to the menu and wind up leaving little four-footed and winged ones alone, all's well. - Tom

    ReplyDelete