Friday, February 2, 2018

Renn's New Route

In September, I wrote about how Josie learned to use the desk in the bedroom to walk from the bed to the window sill, and vice versa. This saved her the trouble of descending to the floor and then climbing the cat-trees. I don’t think that the latter route caused her difficulties or discomfort, but the new one is easier. I am certain that she learned this from Parker. You may recall the images I used to illustrate this tale.



It seems another cat has benefitted from Parker’s eye for the landscape. Renn, who is certainly neither weak nor infirm, has taken to using the new route. I have witnessed it twice. He shows no hesitation in walking that way, and has the confidence of somecat who has been walking it for years. I suspect he learned indirectly from Parker, and observed Josie using the desk short-cut. Being Renn, he still leaps from the bed to the cat-trees from time to time, but seems to enjoy having this other option.


I don’t mind it since, unlike my orange boy and the Great White, Renn does not cross the breadth of the desk while I am actually using it. Not yet, anyway. But if a cat has learned to do something, it is only matter of time before he does it without regard for his human…

13 comments:

  1. It's fascinating that you are witnessing the cats learning from each other. And what would life be like without some cat tail fur in our faces?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renn sure is a handsome guy! Love his long silky coat. Is it hard to manage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has surprisingly few problems with it. There are sometimes a few small mats on the underside, but otherwise it is usually in very good conditions. He's always been the healthiest of my beasts, so that may be the reason.

      Delete
  3. dood...ya noe what thiz meenz dont cha....when dad LEEST expectz it.....use de desk route ~~~~~~ if ya walk cross de key bored just rite; ya mite diz cover a new werd !!! ;) ♥♥☺☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, my favourite mancat in your household. It's great to see him, and obviously Renn's a quick study. :-)

    It's interesting, isn't it, to see what they pick up from other cats in the household. Both Nicki and Derry have learned to do things from watching the other, though more often than not, it's things I wish they *hadn't* learned to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured you might like to see Renn featured. And yes, like children, they do seem to pick up the less desireable traits of others more easily and more often.

      Delete
  5. Isn't it amazing what cats can learn from each other? My Joey takes great pride in teaching his little sister, Cassi, how to get into trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whichever way he decides to travel there, he looks very content on arrival.
    It always amazes me how quickly they learn new things.
    When we bought a new back door we didn't want to put a cat flap in it. We have a cat flap into the garage so Eric and Flynn were able to go in there from outdoors if they wanted to. We also had a cat flap in the back door back then so they could come in and out at will. When the new back door was fitted Ivor made a cat flap in the hallway into the garage and opened the garage door cat flap. He showed Flynn the opening in the hall and I waited outside the garage calling him. He came right out the very first time! You could see on his face how pleased he was going in and out through his own special route that we couldn't follow.
    Phew! That was long-winded, but I hope you get the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Renn is a smart guy and so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A reminder that the furniture and the arrangements of are to benefit our cats. It is so interesting to see how they learn from each other.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done Renn. Furniture walking is an art that we humans have yet to master. :p

    I'm entirely surprised he hasn't yet walked across the desk while you are using it John. That is such a cat thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yea I'm also amazed how quick cat can learn new things from each other. I also saw remarkable differences every time when I adopted new cat (I have 3 cats right now). When one of them "invited" something, they were all doing the same after 2 hours haha! :)

    ReplyDelete