Monday, March 26, 2018

Memento Mori


Memento Mori is medieval Latin for ‘a remembrance of death’. It was meant to put everything in perspective, to remind people that what we do in life is transient and, in view of what comes afterward, relatively unimportant. But, in recollecting death, we must, almost by definition, recollect life, as well.

Three years ago, my friend, my first cat, Tungsten, died. Each year, I write something in commemoration of that occasion. Though I don’t mention it as often, I think too of my foster-cat and friend, Bear-Bear, who died in 2014, after spending ten months with me. I remember the deaths of these two cats; they are very strong, unpleasant memories. But I also remember their lives, and what they brought me.

I know I am not alone in the knowledge that a first cat suffers from ignorance. Tungsten was my test-subject, though neither of us knew it. I learned much from her. I saw for the first time a cat’s bum-wiggle, when she was about to charge something; that made me laugh, and still does. I watched Tungsten pretend, to conjure up a situation in her mind and then act upon it. I experienced with her the tribulations of second – and third, and fourth – cats, and how they interacted, or didn’t. I learned that a person can grow very fond of a cat.

Bear-Bear came along after I knew much more about cats – though not enough, of course. He was cheerful and unworried about much that trouble others of his species. Even during car-rides to the veterinary hospital, he chatted away as if on a Sunday drive. I witnessed how a cat can love people, when his very last act was to try to crawl onto my lap. I placed him there, and that was where he died.

Yes, I remember that death came for my friends, Tungsten and Bear-Bear. But before then, they brought me happiness and surprise, frustration and accommodation, mystery and realization. This, I remember, too.


32 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful tribute to two amazing, dearly loved Beings.

    I witnessed how a cat can love people, when his very last act was to try to crawl onto my lap. I placed him there, and that was where he died.

    Oh, that made me cry....

    Sending you Light for peace in your heart as you remember them both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bear-Bear was very weak at the end, but I could feel him purr to the last. The BB.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful memorial for Tungsten and Bear-Bear. The good thing is that the cats we've lost are always with us in our memories and hearts. You're right about first cats suffering from our ignorance. When I got my first cat, Kip in 1971, I was clueless. Kip was a learning experience and he taught me so much. The main thing I learned was how wonderful cats are, and now I can't imagine life without one. (Or in my case 6!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it astonishing that cats almost never hold grudges against us for our ignorance and errors. They are very forgiving.

      Delete
  3. it is those happy memories that get us through the harder ones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness they give us such good memories.

      Delete
  4. I was reading this as miss pops was lying draped across my leg trying to get me to stay in bed.

    What a lovely post about your two friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poppy's a lucky cat to have you. May the two of you be together for many, many years yet.

      Delete
  5. for tungsten and bear bear
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. My condolences for your Angels Tungsten and Bear-Bear. Whether cats or humans, friends become a part of our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a wonderful tribute. Hugs from all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's hard to realise they've been gone so long.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful tribute to Bear-Bear and Tungten.They were both handsome kitties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Bear-Bear was an ugly brute, and I told him so, often. He never seemed to believe me. It was probably my tone.

      Delete
  9. Reading how Bear Bear died in your lap made me cry. Our cats are extrodinary companions bringing such joy into our lives. Thank you for this lovely post. I am, of course reminded of my dear Jessica. I miss her terribly. She was my first cat and so patient with me.

    I hope you will get a chance to see a movie called Catwalk. I saw it last night in the theatre near my home but I think it will be on the CBC. There was such love for the cats from their humans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand how you miss Jessica; your feelings are no refelction on Holly. Each cat engenders its own feelings in us.

      I've not heard of "Catwalk". I will look that up.

      Delete
  10. I am so sorry that your memories of their passing is unpleasant. Know that I understand and am grateful for the sweet memories you have of Tungsten and Bear-Bear's time with you. They were (and are) loved, and in that way, you've always done the right thing.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life always seems to be full of wondering if one could have done things better.

      Delete
  11. Tears here. I know this so well. You care for them and love them. THEY love you back just as much. Their loss is as sharp as a razor edge. Our hearts always long for their sweetness and loved faces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I write about them so more people will know them. I want everyone to know them as I did.

      Delete
  12. When I was very young I lost my first family pet at 19, Lil' Bit had been with us as long as I could remember in my childhood. I can still recollect the feelings from 40 some years ago. He was such a good dog. My parents were'nt cat people so I didn't have the pleasure of being owned by a cat until adulthood. In 2004 to be exact. But it was only with the summer of 2005 that I discovered what truly it means to be in tune with a cat. I don't care if no one ever understands the bond of affection and loyalty I had with my Abby, nor the depth of my feelings of loss of her parting. It made such a huge indentation in my soul when she too died in my arms. I still think of it as going from my arms to the arms of angel on the other side of the veil. Your thoughts on Tungsten and Bear Bear are bittersweet and beautiful, and I'm glad your heart found a way to find peace with the beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not everyone understands that we can be friends with these animals of ours, and love them.

      Delete
  13. A lovely memorial to two very much loved cats. The heartache that comes with loss is crushing. I am thankful that we all also have wonderful memories of all the good times to help through the bad ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Some day, I will have to write about the others who are still with me; I dread that, yet would never regret having them in my life.

      Delete
  14. You were blessed. They were as well.
    They will always be with you because they have become a part of you. We are who we are because they have touched our lives.
    Love, Kari and the Cats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consider myself very lucky to have known these cats, my friends.

      Delete