Saturday, July 28, 2018

The Lonely Food-bowl



The outsider-cats’ food-bowl must be feeling rather lonely these days, and that has me worried. It’s been a week since I have seen Sable and Sablette, and previously they were frequent visitors.

I last saw them July 21. It was after dark, and I had already taken in the food-bowl for the night. Sable came to the window of my bedroom and squeaked, to let me know that she and her sister were there, but the food was not. Before I could bring out the hard-food, as requested, there was a ruckus at the far end of the apartment building; it sounded as if a cat was being attacked. I saw one of the two sisters running from that direction. She stopped near my apartment and did not look or act injured.

Nevertheless, when I delivered the food, Sable and Sablette ran off, in different directions. That was the last I have seen of them. No one has been by my ditch to sample the food or water, except a skunk, who has come to slake his thirst, and leave the water-bowl tipped at an angle. (The food is taken in to discourage his visits.) I have not seen Au Lait/Blue or Vincent, or any of the others who have come by from time to time.

I am most worried about Sable and Sablette. The other cats are known to go to another resident’s food-bowls for nutrition, but the two black cats do not. They had become accustomed to me, and to being watched by my beasts, an observation which does not bother them. But in a week, the sisters have not come by.

12 comments:

  1. I know how you feel. We have many stray/feral cats around here. Whenever one of the "regulars" disappears, I'm miserable worrying about what became of them. I always feel so helpless.

    I do hope you'll see them again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, hope you'll see them again soon, safe and sound. Please let us know when or if you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I share your concern. Maybe Sable and Sablette were just frightened by something and they will return as soon as they feel it's safe. Have you checked with any of your neighbors? Maybe they are just going elsewhere for their meals. Please keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can understand your worry. I do hope they come back again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is sad, I hope they show up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope they come back soon. The feral I feed isn't always regular. Their are days I feed him for a week and then he disappears for a week. It is worrisome. Hopefully whoever caused the ruckus has left the area and your kitties will be back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear, I do hope they show back up again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a big concern. I too am concerned. I have thoughts...none of which are useful or worth writing here. I just hope they come back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope Sable and Sablette return to you soon. I understand the heartache caused by missing ferals, and I hope yours is short-lived.

    ReplyDelete
  10. we hope they return soon; for what it's worth... which isn't much,
    boomer would disappear for a few weeks at a time before we would see him again; and it may be the sisters don't want to be seen ??

    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear, I hope they show up again.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete