Tuesday, August 28, 2018

And Now, Raleigh Returns

In a surprise turn of events, Raleigh is back with me. I visited him yesterday and saw that he was clearly not doing well. His left eye is red, his nose is very dry, his nostrils are crusty. With his FIV, this is more serious than it might be with another cat.

It is not the fault of his new foster-home. There are quite a few cats there, and Raleigh’s condition makes him prone to sudden illnesses, especially when in contact with other felines who may be able to transmit them without feeling them much themselves. His foster-guardian agreed that I should take Raleigh back to my apartment for a while to recover, and strengthen himself. Then, he he will go back to his foster-home. He is eating well and relieving himself to a satisfactory extent.

He’s a nice little peach-coloured fellow, completely submissive, so far. Initially, I wasn’t sure how much I could touch him. Last night, he used the litter-box and, probably because of the transitions in his food, his poops were quite liquidy. He of course stepped in one. I had to clean one of his rear paws, and though he pulled away a few times, offered no other resistance. I wonder, considering the fact that he cringes whenever he is about to be petted, if he was smacked about by a previous owner whenever he showed reluctance at physical contact.

In any case, Raleigh won’t experience any of that again. I will spend time with him; I hope not to keep him in the bathroom for too long, perhaps giving him some space in the bedroom or library. Once his neutering has taken full effect (after about a month), I may introduce him to the other beasts, if he is still with me by then. He deserves to feel the full benefits of being an indoor cat, well-fed, warm and safe.

13 comments:

  1. I don't claim to know a lot about FIV, but I do know how stress can affect the immune system. Perhaps all these recent sudden changes Raleigh has gone through are causing the poor little guy to feel poorly.

    I do hope he'll be better very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Undoubtedly you're right about stress. It affects healthy people and animals, so its effects on those whose health is already compromised must be worse.

      Delete
  2. Raleigh! Feel better, peachy boy, and soak in the calming thoughts that all of us are sending to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sweet boy....we are just keeping up. hopefully people can get more educated on FIV and he will find a great home. our rescue adopts out FIV cats and we have had lots of luck. he certainly seems very sweet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor guy. Under your loving care, I hope he feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that the stress likely is a factor. I hope he feels better soon under your care, the poor love. Definitely a surprise to read that he's back with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Raleigh, I hope he soon feels better. I know you will do your best to make sure he does.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope poor Raleigh gets well soon. He is fortunate to have such a loving nurse to oversee his recovery. He seems like such a loving fellow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m so sorry that this had to happen to sweet Raleigh but I am so happy that he is home with you. You have always had this amazing ability to observe, assess, and
    plan an effective course of action when it comes to your cats health. All this tempered with a calm, loving and reassuring hand. Many people love cats but few connect with them on the level you do. It’s obvious that he feels comfortable with you ( rear paw contact) and that comfort translates into reduced stress hormone levels.
    He’ll blossom with you, I know he will. Kiss him for us please.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He is so soft, small and handsome. So snuggable and I so hope he will get all better and learn to trust again. I am always devastated that anyone would hurt an innocent little one. I am deeply grateful he is with you right now. And as Kari above said, kiss him for us too please.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a shame to hear Raleigh is ill. You're correct in saying that illness can be brought on by stress. I know you'll take excellent care of Raleigh and hopefully he'll soon be well. Please keep us informed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wavez two ewe dood; we can swear on all stax oh canned goodz N fishin linez yur in de best place ya could hope ta bee....if ya stay a month ore a millennium......trooth dood......trooth ~~~~~~♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor boy, I suspect you are correct that he suffered some abuse with his previous owner(s). I hope his health improves soon.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete