Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Renn is Forced to Volunteer Next

I summoned the beasts for a roll-call last night. Once they were assembled, I asked who had not been to the veterinary recently. There was mumbling and a shuffling of feet. Tucker tried to bite me, which was his way of showing me that he had no teeth as a result of his last visit to the hospital, his teeth being the latest of his bits to be removed. Cammie hissed, her way of reminding me that I took her for yet another Cerenia injection last Saturday. Raleigh looked bewildered; he has already cost me an arm and several fingers at the hospital, so he was excused. Parker sighed. He was excused, too. I looked at Renn and Josie. My Chubs kept giving sidelong glances toward my big boy, trying to deflect my attention to him. I didn’t need my attention deflected. I knew it was Renn’s turn.

Well, there was no roll-call, really. If there had been, the cats would have ignored it. But in the line-up of animals who need to see the doctor, it is a fact, unfortunately, that Renn must go next.

Renn has been urinating in the bath-tub. Certainly, there are worse places he could go, but that is not the point. He always joins me to wait for the tub to fill on bath-night; it’s a highlight of our week. He must, rather intelligently, associate the tub with water, and perhaps with draining water. To use it to relieve himself makes sense. But it also may indicate a problem.

I am not overly worried about my big boy. I suspect that, if there is a problem, it is a minor urinary tract infection. However, a minor infection can lead to major issues, and is uncomfortable in itself. So Renn and I will be going to the doctor Friday afternoon. I imagine he will be as pleased as he looks in this photograph...

12 comments:

  1. No one ever say take me to the Doctor! Including any cat. Oh dear Renn we hope all is OK with you. PUrrsssssss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renn, your face is saying, "Oh, you've got to be kidding me!" Here's hoping the visit helps figure out the bathtub-peeing issue. And don't tell anyone, but I've scheduled Manny and CB with the cat chiropractor for next month! The way the two of them crash around, I have a feeling they both need front or rear-end alignments...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck to Renn, we hope there's nothing amiss, or if there is, it's something easily remedied. The possibility of the obvious uti or crystals or stones comes first to mind, but we're crossing our fingers and paws that it's nothing at all. However, if it's a behavioural issue, then that has its own challenges. Hoping for the very best possible outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Renn, I hope HOPE it is something simple and some antibiotics will take care of it. I doubt it is behavioral, so something must be going on. Hoping so hard it is something simple and easily dealt with by you both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. dood....glad yur dad catched it in time N sorree ya hafta go two de place oh eeeeeeevil, but this time we gotta take dadz side N say ya knead it... better safe N sorree for sure N catfather: good job dood ;) ☺☺♥♥ !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if it's possibly just stress? With Parker's illness and the ailments of the other cats, Renn must be sensing the tension. My Potter uses the bathtub every so often--nothing is physically the matter, it's just his way of expressing displeasure (with the other cats, generally.)

    I hope it's nothing more than that with Renn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you noticed Renn's urinary problem early on. You may be correct to suspect a UTI, as many times cats with UTI's will urinate in the bath tub. The bath tub is cool,so being in the tub helps relieve some of the discomfort on urination that the UTI causes. Please let us know the outcome of Renn's vet visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Renn looks like he is thinking that you can't possibly mean it is his turn for a visit to the vet. I hope it is minor and he is soon back to normal and using a litter box again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh John, you just can't get a break. When it rains it pours. At least, that's what happens to me. Hope all goes well and nothing serious. I'll be thinking of you both on Friday.
    I love that look on Renn's face!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Purrs for Renn from the kitties. I hope it is nothing serious and easily taken care of. BTW, how do you know it is Renn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s happened thrice, and the second time, I caught Renn almost in the act. I walked into the bathroom and he came rushing out (he’s been in there previously, and knows he’s allowed); I saw urine in the tub, and it hadn’t been in there minutes before.

      Delete