Monday, May 27, 2019

Her Newly Dark Kingdom



After the terrible events of yesterday, Cammie’s condition is improving.


Once we had returned from the animal hospital, I felt that both she and I needed some rest, so I placed her on the bed, where she would relax a little, if she could. I lie down with her, and she purred. That purr was comfort to her and encouragement to me.


Hours later, she was better. She no longer walked in circles, and her rear quarters had strengthened to the point of being able to jump onto the bed from the floor. Cammie began exploring her newly dark world. It was familiar to her; she just couldn’t see it. But half a day after the stroke, she was walking about, avoiding obstacles by using her whiskers and nose. She was already adapting. She ate, and, more importantly, she used the litter-box, intentionally and correctly. Her bowels were under her control.


I realise there may be set-backs, problems so devastating that every optimistic thing I think now may have to be re-thought. I fear that the stroke may have damaged her brain, and that lucidity will not be permanent. But I am confident about the future. It’s true that she is blind, and will very likely remain so. She stays on the bed a great deal; it is central, relatively high, comfortable and well-lit; she can feel the sun and hear the outside from there. But she moves about when she feels she must, or wishes. I think mobility will increase as she grows used to her new situation.


Certainly Cammie’s world has shrunk. Some may think it constitutes a world not worth living in, for a cat. I disagree, but yet may revise my opinion. I will watch her and see how she acts, what she prefers, how she has changed. This morning, she crawled onto my chest and purred while I rubbed her chin. My princess has not changed so much that she cannot still enjoy her life, and if she enjoys it, I see no reason why she need leave it.

16 comments:

  1. This is a very hopeful update, thank you. Of course her life is worth living, as long she has good quality of life. If things take a downward turn any time soon, you can reevaluate then, with what you feel is right.

    Having written that, I really don't know what decision I would have made, in the panic of an emergency situation. You were clear-headed enough, at least, to wait a short time to see what would happen.

    Continued thoughts and prayers to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely true John. It would seem she is adapting well thus far and I suspect that has a lot to do with the security and comfort she feels with you. It amazes how quickly animals seem to recover from what would be devastating to humans. We have a lot to learn from them.

    Sasha and Saku send their purrs and I, my heartfelt wish that recovery will continue for Cammie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it's such good news to hear that Cammie is adapting to her new situation. I'm sure that with patience and your love, she will continue to adjust, and that she'll have a great life. Please continue to keep us informed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the update. All day yesterday, I was wondering how poor beautiful Cammie was doing.

    I did a little reading about stroke in cats, and usually the first 24 hours are the worst,after which they stabilize, or begin to improve. I'm so relieved this seems to be the case with her.

    Blindness is a terrible thing for anyone, of course, but cats cope with it much better than humans. Here's praying the princess can still have a happy life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad she is doing okay and adapting well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cammie's world will always be full, because she has you to love her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My love to her. Your Princess is just that...a Princess. And so worthy of love and care. She trusts you implicitly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cammie is adjusting well and she does seem content. She still has so much go give and she seems to be enjoying life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cammie has many years ahead of her yet, and I want her to live them happily, as much as possible. Thank you for reading about her.

      Delete
  9. Poor poppet. Please give her a pat from us. We are sure that she is much happier when you are home and close by.

    Julie and Poppy Q

    ReplyDelete
  10. we are just catching up - how very scary for both of you. we are sending lots of purrs that she continues to improve and that she learns quickly to adjust to her new "normal".

    ReplyDelete
  11. many a cat has lived a happy and full life being sightless; and I still hold out that her vision improves. If not; she can adjust and she will adjust; as proven that she already is/has. you'll have to remember to leave things "as they are" so she can navigate around the house, and you may find that one of her "siblings" will be on stand by to assist when cammie might need a little help going from point A to B; mom's cat perky did this with our bulldog ♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't be changing the topography of the apartment, though I've noticed that my princess manages to avoid even the boxes that change position from day to day. She's a wonder.

      Delete
  12. Glad to hear Cammie is coping. I hope every day she continues to improve, if not, at least you are helping make her new life bearable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things are improving. I’ve just written a new entry about Cammie. I hope your mother is well, and that she too is recovering swiftly.

      Delete
    2. My mom is now living with another sister of mine. She is now partially weight bearing on the broken leg and broken ankle. Thank you for asking. I can now catch up on reading my blogs. I do hope Cammie has a full recovery! I was in tears reading about her dilemma.

      Delete