Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Glad He is With Me

It may be repetitious, and is certainly disheartening, to chronicle the diminution of my friend, Parker. But, for both him and myself, I think I need to record his last weeks. And, indeed, I feel that his last weeks have come.

Two or three times now, I have felt that he has taken a definite step downward in his fight against his cancer. Though difficult to describe, I could tell each time that something had occurred to change his abilities, both to resist his illness and his means of dealing with it. Another descent was made this past weekend.

Parker is moving very slowly now, and there is a brittleness to his actions. He is eating less, though still more than I would have expected a cat in his condition to eat. He has been eating Hounds and Gatos pork for some time. It is, I believe, a good food, and he still appears to like it. However, he has twice since Saturday turned away from it. I have substituted Fancy Feast chicken-and-liver, and this he accepted at those times. I have a wide variety of brands and flavours with which to tempt him when he finally discards these favourites. Since his illness became known, he has rejected several varieties of food, and not gone back to them. I dread the day that he refuses everything. But this morning, he consumed a third of a 5.5 ounce tin of food; not bad, considering his situation.

Strangely, his nutrition does not seem to be effected by his periodic and violent vomiting. He throws up so much that if it contained as much food as other debris, he would have starved to death by now. His wretching is so fierce that it leaves him panting. I was lucky last night to note the signs of an approaching episode, and was able to put him in front of a box lid, one of several I keep around the apartment for the cats’ amusement and comfort, and for such emergencies. Though he is eating and the food is doing him good, Parker is losing weight, and his body is sinking, due to the weight and size of the tumour.

On the advice of a knowledgeable friend, I have increased Puck’s Prednisolone dosage from a quarter-tablet a day to a half. I hope this will have a positive effect on any discomfort he may be feeling. So far, he has eaten his food with the crushed pill hidden inside it. The medicine, fortunately, has little or no taste.

He has been asking for attention a little more lately, and when I cook or wash the dishes, he often lies against my feet. I try to spend time with him when he asks for it, sitting on the floor with him, talking to him and petting him. Then, he will decide that he’s had enough and move away. He’s never been an overly sentimental fellow.

But I am glad that he is with me at such a time. It is discouraging and frustrating, maddening and tiring, and always sad, but I am glad he is with me. Because some day, probably soon, he won’t be.

14 comments:

  1. It's very sad to "watch" his downward progression via your blog. I know it's reality, a part of life for us all, but still...I continue to keep Parker in my prayers, for a gentle and merciful, and pain-free passing. Hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to know what to say in response to your post, John. I think everyone who reads your blog understands how you feel. Please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you and Parker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dood we got a huge case oh de sads; we ask St Francis ta kind lee stay bye yur side 24.7 now; he noez why. we noe ewe will continue ta fite az long az ya can; N we hope ewe noe all yur friendz R rite long side oh ewe ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking about St. Francis, too. He comes to mind any time any of my four-legged friends are in trouble; I'm asking him to help Parker as well.

      Delete
  4. We sure are thinking of you both. It's sure not easy but we're glad Parker is with you too. Hugs from all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The last days or weeks are unbearably hard to endure, but endure them we must for the sake of those we love.
    Parker knows he has you by his side giving him love and care, and that you will help him when the time comes.
    You are both in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so sad to watch the decline and the feelings of helplessness knowing the outcome. I'm not sure Parker knows (though I think animals are more intuitive than humans), but you're giving your best. I hope you have more time with Parker, but I know regardless of how much is left you will give him all the love and caring possible.

    Thinking of both of you.
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. But I'm glad he's still with you. Purring and praying he stays with you as long as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your love for Parker is what he needs; safety, steadfastness, and comfort. Hugs and purrs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending my love. I find it hard to type right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sending you all lots of love....it is never easy (though maybe ask your vet about a little pepcid for him - might help soothe his stomach at least some)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't tell you how often I think of you and Parker. I can empathize with how hard it is to document this part of life,but in time you will be so glad you did because so much of it you will find hard to remember. There is so much emotion and it clouds the memory. I wish I had written more and goodness knows I was quite verbose about it all. But to squeeze out a moment i had forgotten would be manna from heaven today. i know you understand. Purrs for Parker.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Parker is a lucky fellow to have such an attentive parent who can help him in his final days. The quandary when working with an ill cat is always whether we feel they have what many, and myself, call "quality of life." This is such a difficult concept as any person, or cat for that matter, will see this as something very different from another. Knowing that you have the best interests of your furs at heart our family knows that your dear fellow will have only the best that he can until his time. We send our prayers and purrs of support to you and yours in all things.
    Dad, Timmy and Family

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sorry Parker's health is declining. I am sure he knows how loved he is though which is most important.

    ReplyDelete