Monday, May 20, 2019

Little Antaeus




Parker continues to do relatively well. There is a new development, which may be related to his cancer. A patch of hairlessness has appeared on his right shoulder. He has been licking at it, so I am not sure if that action caused the hairlessness or if it is in reaction to it. In any case, licking it is making it worse. I suspect that it is connected somehow to his ailment, in the same way that his nose has lost its hair. It may not be a coincidence that, despite his good hygiene elsewhere (eg. washing most of his face, cleaning his paws), Parker doesn’t clean his nose of food after he eats. Perhaps he has no feeling there anymore.

But, in terms of what could occur, hairless spots and obsessive licking are not the worst, and my orange boy is still eating very well. I remember writing to a friend in January that my foster-cat was not consuming much at all. How that has changed. I am certain that his appetite has contributed to his extended life-span.

Also contributory, I think, are his excursions outside. For the most part, they are enjoyable. He loves the feel of the air on his furs, and the smells that come to him on the breezes. He likes meeting people; when he sees one approaching, he will walk toward him, ready to make a new friend. There are exceptions to our good walks. Yesterday, I made the mistake of feeding him luncheon before the walk, rather than after. I am certain that this caused his desire to do nothing but lie down on the sidewalk, and become fractious at the notion of doing any walking. I won’t make that scheduling mistake again.

But by and large, Parker’s walks are a source of strength to him. Like Antaeus the giant, from Greek mythology, who derived power from his mother, the Earth, whenever in combat he fell, so too is my little Antaeus sustained by our version of nature. Time in the open air, whether warmed by the sun or dampened by the mist, invigorates Parker, and is one of his secrets of immortality – or at least a touch of it.

12 comments:

  1. He's a tough little cat, that's for sure. I hope he continues to enjoy his walks (before he eats) for quite some time to come. Purrs and purrayers to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. J; ask the vet if it's okay if you apply 100 % pure coconut oil to parker's thin spots. if won't hurt him if he licks at it and in fact, it is used as a topical quite often { and you could have offered to carry him home yesterday ;) ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes: coconut oil. I'd forgotten about that. It may be just the thing. Thank you. (And I did carry him home yesterday. Sigh.)

      Delete
  3. Parker has gained strength from your ministrations, of that I have no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure the walks have helped Parker. Everyone says that doing things to maintain a positive mental attitude is a benefit to human cancer patients. Why not animals as well?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is good that Parker enjoys his walks and his food. It gives him something to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Parker's increased appetite and his walks have certainly contributed to his wellbeing. But I'm sure the most important contributing factor is the great care and love you give him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad to know he still enjoys his walks. And to know he wants to greet people he meets on his walks. I remember seeing his tail cutting through the air like the proud skipper of a ship. The ship Parker sails again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My admiration for any animal with an illness only grows. They have a far superior point of view about the whole thing. I hope Parker continues to enjoy his outdoor activities and that the walks amuse and delight him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He is still enjoying life. Dear Parker.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Parker, I so wish that these days of walks and good meals would continue forever. But I'm so grateful that you're enjoying them now because you have the best "pawrent" ever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are so glad to hear the news that he is living a good if not perfect life. May he continue through the summer and have many good days. Miss Fitz says thanks for stopping by for her Birthday

    ReplyDelete