Sunday, June 20, 2021

The Real Portia

One of the things that I have learned about Portia is that she is easier to handle than I thought. At the veterinary hospital, they discovered a major case of feline acne on her jaw, and the treatment with which she came home includes wiping this with medicated pads. Po doesn’t care for such treatment and she struggles a bit, but when I hold her firmly between my legs and wipe her jaw, she sits still.

She reminds me in a number of ways of my late friend Cammie. The princess put on a violent show but I eventually could do to her most of the things that other cats allow their people to do. It was always a bit of a fight, but it could be accomplished. Since I could never cut her claws, she could have flayed me alive had she wished. So could Portia. Whether it is because the work done on her mouth alleviated anger-inducing discomfort, or whether she is now trusting me, I can’t determine. Something I could never judge about Cammie was if her initial ferocity was genuine – and she simply grew to trust me – or if it was bluster from the start. I can’t tell that about Po, either.

I don’t expect my new guest-cat to allow me to do everything I need to with her. But potential adopters will know that, with some time – and Portia has been with me only six and a half weeks – she will permit unpleasant but necessary deeds. Just don’t expect her to be Miss Sunshine when she’s hungry…

15 comments:

  1. No one is pretty when they are hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good that you are able to treat Portia :)
    I like eating but I don't bug mum.
    Maybe it's because I am an only cat now(and loving it)
    Purrs, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. No wonder Portia gets crabby when she's hungry. The staff at the Cosy Inn are supposed to tend to her needs. They're obviously falling down on the job if meals are not served on time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think all cats are innately good natured, as long as they’re treated properly. When they seem otherwise, I suspect it’s just defensive bluster or fright.

    And I’m not Miss Sunshine when I’m hungry, either. Of course, I’m also not Miss Sunshine when I’m not hungry.

    Never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are all positive things to tell potential adopters...unless you just might become a foster failure, LOL!

    She sure looks so very relaxed on your couch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She really is a sweetie and we're glad she's so relaxed now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, Portia is such a wonderful kitty. We are super glad seh's doing so well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Portia appears quite content in that photo. Sasha and Saku are mostly noisy when they're hungry, especially Sasha. For a very old cat, he can sure holler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All old folks (myself included) can complain well.

      Delete
  9. Portia, bless you. You are doing better than any of us thought and I for one am proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never get between a hungry cat and her food. We all knew that don't we. However I would say that Portias has done quite well in the short time she's been with you. And when it is time for her to move on I'm sure she'll make a wonderful pet very quickly for another family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We think Portia is getting used to you. Most of our family put up a stink when care is given but none are truly mean just ornery. Sounds like Miss P falls in this camp

    ReplyDelete
  12. Portia is growing more confident in you and the surroundings daily! That is a great thing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, the cat-between-your-legs position. Done that often. No where to back up and a hand on the chest prevents moving forwards... I still wish I had a 3rd arm so I could do clippy-claws though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claws may be my next challenge with Portia. Prior to going to the vet, she'd never had them trimmed - and this time, she was unconscious for it!

      Delete