Friday, September 22, 2023

Mr Shimmer Teaches Us

I am very pleased with how far Brazil has come. Though I may be repeating myself regarding his progress, I can add that there is now very tentative interest in him from a couple. They realise his extremely timid nature and appear to be the sort who will give the orange fellow with the shimmery fur the time he needs to adjust to a new home. It will be a wrench for Brazil to go to a different environment, but what he has achieved with me shows that he can come around to new people.


Brazil came to live with me on the first day of August. In seven weeks, he has reached the stage at which he almost never runs from me when I reach to pet him, so long as I am slow about it. Sometimes he will dart away as I approach him, but he usually comes back. I normally feed him in the library. When he previously finished his food, and I would come to check on him, he would zoom past me into the corridor; I think he hated the idea of being trapped. Now, he still runs past me, but it is without fear, and calmer.


He and Aurora are getting along very well. In addition to chasing each other, they are beginning to play-whap each other, and may soon be wrestling. They groom each other, and I would not be surprised to see them lying together some day soon. Neville still dislikes Shimmer’s proximity, but that’s Neville. Renn has little problem with it. These are generally good signs, as the family interested in Brazil have a young cat in need of a playmate, and an old cat in need of someone to be the younger cat’s playmate.


I wrote some weeks ago that one of the advantages to fostering a cat is to watch his behaviour evolve. Another advantage is being able to allow it to evolve. Foster-guardians aren’t like adopters who usually like - and have a right to expect - a cat to be their companion, in one form or another, from the start. Thanks to Brazil being in a foster-home, we know that his shyness can be overcome to the point of welcoming physical attention; that he enjoys playing with another cat; that he will not bother cats who want nothing to do with him. If such qualities are what an adopter seeks, then we are now aware that it is a matter of time until Brazil shows them. These, and other facets of his character, are valuable things to know; tools to help find Mr Shimmer the home he deserves.


13 comments:

  1. Have these people had experience with very fearful cats before? I want Brazil to get a perma-home, of course, but I'm concerned that another move may cause him to regress again, especially now that he and
    Aurora are becoming chums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's always a concern, of course. I don’t think the couple have had a cat as shy as Brazil, but I suspect few have, and even fewer will come forward to show an interest in the boy. If they are willing to have patience and give him time, Brazil will be all right, especially with another cat to be pals with. But the rescue-group’s process is detailed, and there is much to talk over with the couple first.

      Delete
  2. I was going to say something so similar to Undine that I won't tax you with it. She said it wonderfully well for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully things will work out and Brazil will find his "furever" home. I agree with Undine that it would be awful if Brazil had to be returned and consequently he regressed again after making so much progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, was going to express thoughts similar to Undine. I hope these people understand that it could take Brazil many weeks, or perhaps even months, to feel comfortable in yet another new environment. I know, though, that Brazil will have a home at the Cosy Apartment if things don't work out, and I hope for the very best outcome for him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We know that Brazil will get the bestest home from your organization, John, and you'll have fulfilled the most impawtant piece of the puzzle; getting him to open like a flower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds hopeful that Brazil will find a new forever home with 2 cats to meet and be friends with. Fingers crossed it works out for all involved and thanks to having the Cosy Apartment to work out a few kinks in behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What wonderful news things are progressing nicely for Brazil

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that would be wonderful to see Brazil adopted into a home where he can take his time to get comfy with the other cats and his new peeps. Lets hope for the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely to see him at the top of the cat tree with Aurora! I do hope that if the people do adopt Brazil that they will have the patience, and give him the time to adapt to a new home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great news! I'll look forward to the next update!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is positive news, yeah anyone taking him into their home will need to understand his fears and have patience with him

    ReplyDelete
  12. Again, wonderful news about and for Brazil. I do hope he is able to find his forever home soon, and his new family will permit him the time to settle in there too.

    ReplyDelete