Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Cammie Fights Back

Cammie and I have mounted a counter-offensive against her illness, and so far we have been successful.

I came home yesterday to find that the princess had eaten nothing during the day, but had thrown up nonetheless. I resorted to the Cerenia pill that I had been given by the veterinary but, perhaps predictably, Cammie regurgitated it almost immediately upon receiving it. The same fate would have befallen a pepcid pill. I consulted with a friend from the rescue-group to which I belong and she urged me to try some more slippery elm.

The elm I had used initially in this episode was old. There was a possibility that it was no longer effective. I had purchased a new supply and prepared some for Cammie. This elm thickened quickly and more densely than the other; this encouraged me. Armed with this and some Recovery-and-water, I brought my unhappy cat into the bathroom.

While our ammunition remains the same, I have changed our weaponry. I had previously used large-calibre syringes to deliver the elm and food to Cammie. I reduced the sizes. If I were force-feeding a cat like Tucker, placid and co-operative, a large amount of food injected swiftly would be the proper tactic. With Cammie, I needed more control and better aim. This I think I have achieved with a syringe as small as ten millilitres. Certainly, I have put more food into her and given her less opportunity to shake away, spit out and otherwise eject the precious nutrients.

With this new plan, I gave Cammie a feeding at about seven o’clock last night. I have no idea how long one must wait until the body is no longer capable of vomiting food it has ingested, so I anxiously waited. By ten o’clock, I knew that an amount of food, though small, had gone to where it could not come back up. If she threw up anything thereafter, that serving at least would help keep her organs going. She received another meal before bed-time. She did throw up the slippery elm, convincing me that I was giving her too much. I did not see the elm spilled on the floor until after I had fed her a second meal, but it stayed down anyway.

I heard no sounds of wretching during the night, and found no evidence of it this morning, so another meal was on its way to strengthening the princess. I fed her again just before going to work. A good sign I observed before leaving was that Cammie was waiting her turn at the hard-food bowl. She wanted to eat. Hopefully, she does not over-indulge, though the slippery elm I gave her earlier may provide a buffer against too much food.

This is how the battle stands so far. I feel confident. Though I may be greeted with an unpleasant mess on the floor when I return home later today, Cammie will have been given sustenance, at least for a while yet. Her stomach has provided her other organs with material to keep from degrading.

As for the cause, I believe the culprit is some new food I gave to Cammie in the hopes of giving her increased fluids, since she refused all kinds of kidney-assisting nutrition. She stopped eating it three days before the onset of her vomiting, but the latter has been accompanied by a severe flare-up of the lesions or bumps on the sides of her head. These have subsided now, and she is beginning to feel better. I will, as Kari, one of my readers, suggested, talk to the doctor about the possibility of pancreatitis.

Again, I must thank all those who have wished Cammie well in her fight, and who have provided suggestions to help her. I read and am grateful for every comment.

20 comments:

  1. Oh sweet girl. I send her much love and comfort and hope. Not just words. It is so heartrending when our cats are very ill. And those of us in the CB really care deeply for one another's fur babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Continued purrs and purrayers to your princess. She's in good hands, no one could be doing more for her than you are. Fingers and paws crossed she continues to keep the slippery elm and more and more food down. (There's no possibility of IBD, is there, with her sensitivity to certain foods?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like you have a plan in place...hopefully she is on the mend

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thinking of you and dear Cammie. It is worrying when they are ill. I do hope she is on the mend and can keep her food down. This is what things were like with my Jessica - always worrying, trying new foods and treatments. Keep well, Cammie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are purring for you sweet Cammie and hope you feel better super soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cammie is much improved now, and is eating decently. She needs to, to regain some lost weight. Thank you for your wishes.

      Delete
  6. Though Nellie was 18 (and 19 in a month) it was her failing kidneys that finally took her. I will pray for Cammie.
    Thanks so very much for your kind words on Nellie's passing. They were purrfect for this poor sore heart (which right now has a Nellie sized hole in it).
    Much Love
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  7. cammie; we pray ewe N dad win de battle oh de stomach N that ya eat yur foodz, keep yur foodz down, find one ya like N doez knot taste like card bored; az all wayz de manee blessingz oh st francis two ewe; pleez tell dad if de food ya like iz soft food; he can add sum water two it; for a bit oh added liquid ...984 pawz crossed ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor Cammie has had a tough time. I am glad you found a way to get her some nourishment. I will keep her in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is doing much better. Thank you for supporting her.

      Delete
  9. So glad to hear that Cammie seems to be a bit better. Definitely a step in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's good to hear that Cammie is starting to eat a little and that she is starting to keep her food and medicine down. Hopefully she is starting to recover. I agree with Kari that it wouldn't hurt to give the vet a call. Meanwhile, Cammie, GET WELL SOON!! Please keep us posted on her progress, John.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank goodness she is doing better. Will keep fingers and paws crossed here that things keep on an upswing for you two.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm happy to hear Cammie is eating again (with your assistance) and is showing some interest in the hard food.

    The kitties continue to send their purrs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope Came continues to improve. You certainly are doing everything possible for her.
    Take care.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cammie has a strong determination; she is much improved now. Thank you for your thoughts.

      Delete
  14. You missed your calling, John. You really did.
    Prayers for Cammie continue. Still too guarded a case for full blown optimism .

    ReplyDelete
  15. We are sending cammie Purrs and Prayers to get that belly better soon. Glad to hear that food is staying down as having even a little is good as cats have to eat regularly more than other furs. We have found that stage one baby food is a big hit. Beef and beef broth or beef with beef gravy are four star snacks with our elder Buddy Budd.
    Purrs
    Timmy, Dad Pete and Family

    ReplyDelete