Friday, June 23, 2017

A Family Tradition



My beasts and I have a number of traditions. They were started years ago by Tungsten and myself, and each cat seems to have his own with me. One of Renn’s is enduring.

When we lived in the house, I initially installed my computer in the spare room downstairs. I thought it a convenient location. I was wrong. It was at the farthest reaches of the house; it was chilly in the winter and, in the summer, when I had the front door open to the screen, I worried about not hearing someone upstairs. Anyway, I needn’t have been concerned about not being found by the cats. At least one of them, my big boy, would journey down to the marches of our little kingdom whenever I was there and spend some time with me.

Then, when I moved the computer up to the back parlour, a much more satisfactory location, Renn moved his visits. In he would come, always when I was there in the evenings, rarely during the day.

Now that we are in the cosy apartment, the computer is in the bedroom. I usually spend a few minutes on it after I shower, a cup of tea on the table and music quietly playing. My big boy comes in, as he has been doing for almost seven years.

He hasn’t changed his approach. The first I know of his presence is his black and white form, silently wiggling to my lower right. His back is arched for attention, his tail straight up. I greet him with his name and pet his head, and he weaves and purrs. He scratches at one of the cat-trees. He retreats, then advances, wobbling and twisting. This goes on for several minutes, and then he is gone.

What determines these little rituals? Is my big boy making sure that I am here and safe? Is it his time for some reassurance? Is he just stopping by to say ‘hello’ before wandering off to study a bowl of water or a patch of rug? I will never know, but I am glad it occurs. My Renn may be a scholar, a scientist with a probing mind; he is also at heart a sentimentalist, a cat who enjoys giving attention and receiving a kind word. Our tradition is a bit silly, really, but I like it.

17 comments:

  1. Good to hear you find the purrfect space for your computer! My mom, she used laptop so it goes everywhere as she please.

    Your boy is so sweet ! Mom said I'm sweet too ....when I want snacks.... MOL
    Have a great weekend John, I'm sure you will enjoy your new spot.
    =^x^=

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a wonderful ritual. It might be a combination of all three of your suggestions. Ultimately it doesn't matter, only that you both love it...which obviously is the case. :-)

    And in case you didn't know this already -- OMC, I adore Renn! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not silly at all. It is a trustful and affectionate living together as any beings do who are blessed with companionship of any kind. My girl does her routine as well. They are so loving to their human companions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet ritual. Renn sounds like a total sweetie pie too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Renn's ritual is not silly at all, John. He's showing he loves you, and what could be better than having the love of an animal? People who say cats are aloof and not affectionate obviously know nothing about cats!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's for sure. Even Cammie, who wanted nothing to do with me at first, loves our time together. Cats aren't anti-social, just discriminating.

      Delete
  6. These little rituals are what makes life with cats so special. We look forward to and are comforted by these anticipated rituals with our feline companions. Holly and before her, Jessica, always waits on the bed while I get ready to turn in for the night. The treats and brushing likely have the motivation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both your girls would be there without the treats, I'm sure. They love being with us, our cats.

      Delete
  7. These last two updates... I don't think Renn gets nearly enough attention on this blog haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No ritual is silly. I think that is sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a sweet ritual. Flynn would always join me at the computer. He would lie across the desk and on the mouse mat. He would rest his head on my hand that held the mouse, and I would have to try and work like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He loved physical closeness with his mum and dad. That was one of his times with you. Wonderful Flynn.

      Delete
  10. I think these "rituals " are very comforting for both man and beast. This quiet time is a great way for you two to decompress and let go of the cares of the day. Even if only for a few moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it allows us to take a few minutes just to tell each other we're here for each other.

      Delete
  11. rituals R what makes a catz werld go round; thatz why "they" say we due knot like change; "they" wood bee rite ....we think thiz iz awesum renn dood !! ☺☺♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. The rituals are what make cat familyship all the better. Timmy reaches up and rubs my back with his little feet when I am at the computer for more than a few minutes. I reach down and give him a rub and he will flop for more if so inclined or walk off sated. What a great life with our felines

    ReplyDelete
  13. if ever I want to know where Jack is, all I need do is open up my laptop. Within moments he is always there.. sitting on me, back to me, face all up in the screen.. It drives me up the wall because his magnetic key puts the laptop to sleep far too frequently, but I will sorely miss it years from now when he is gone.

    ReplyDelete