Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Of Confusion and Routine

The repairs to the kitchen sink went well, and now water drains from it faster than it ever did. The pipes had long needed such a clearing, I think. The resident manager responded quickly to my request for plumbing assistance, which is one of the reasons I like that apartment building.

However, there was confusion aplenty at some point. Aside from the inconvenience of a stopped-up kitchen sink, I had to put the cats away for the day, to avoid the risk of them escaping when the plumber arrived.

I returned home during my lunch-break to see how things were. The plumber had not yet been to the apartment. I looked into the bedroom, where the four perma-cats were sequestered. Cats converged on me from every corner.

“The human is here! We will be freed!”

If that’s what they were thinking, they were disappointed. I cleaned the litter-box that was there for them - it had been used and no one had gone anywhere else - and gave them fresh water. I talked to them for a few minutes and tried to comfort them. They had no idea why they were locked up together, of course, and were displeased about it. But at least no one had killed anybody else. I next checked on Parker in the library. All was well.

When I came home at the day’s end, I was greeted at the front door by Parker. He tries to get out of the apartment, so I have to be on guard. But I didn’t think I would need to be, with him locked up in the library, as he should have been. I guessed that I had not securely closed the library door at noon.


As I pushed the sturdy boy back into the apartment, I greeted Josie, who was also by the door. Then I nearly did a double-take. What was Josie doing out? I couldn’t have also failed to close the bedroom door properly. All the cats were free. It smacked of rebellion!


But no, what had happened was that the manager, a cat-fancier who knows of my pets, had released them from their incarceration when he and the plumber left the apartment. I understand his motivation but I prefer Parker to be kept separate from the perma-cats, as there are still some issues to be settled among them. I don’t know how long the whole group mingled, but there was no fur flying about and no body parts to be found. Everything was well.




So we settled back into the routine. I was glad of it. I don’t care to live in transition, between two periods of normalcy. I think the cats would agree with such a sentiment. They were happy that evening.

9 comments:

  1. Though I understand the concern about Parker...I really do like the Manager's freeing the kitties. Parker MAY be more assimilated than you thought since there were no kitty parts torn asunder and scattered to the four winds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously the manager meant well. It's terrific that there weren't any tell-tale clumps of fur around. Probably everyone was so relieved to be out of confinement that they behaved themselves. :-)

    And it's also terrific that the drain has been de-clogged or otherwise repaired -- it's over and done with and all returns to normal.

    I hope your return to work wasn't too onerous. (I'm scrunching up my face, because the first day back after a vacation often is rather hellish.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. the manager may have been well intentioned but that was still a bad idea...glad everyone was ok

    ReplyDelete
  4. we dunno....looks like de cat father made short werk oh de mouz that got in de houz !!!! ♥♥☺☺ we R sure de managurr meant well, but still ~~~~~~ glad everee one waz all rite ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh to have someone come to clean my drains. LOL Glad the crew is doing well and no fur was shed

    ReplyDelete
  6. We know how you feel. Mom Paula has had some repair work done inside and we're always locked in the bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to agree with Katie Isabella, John. It sounds like Parker and the perma-cats have learned to live in peaceful co-existence. But in any case, things are back to normal and it seems that the cats are content, relaxed, and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad everything worked out well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, what a crazy situation :P But it's good to hear, that everything went well :)

    ReplyDelete