Thursday, August 17, 2017

Pumpkin Eaters

In my continuing quest to increase the cats’ health, I have decided to administer pumpkin to them. The vegetable is supposed to help with regularity in the bowels which, even if it is not a problem for the cats, may become one as they age, and they are all ten years or older. I don’t know how this effort will be received. I am told that many cats like, or at least don’t mind, the taste of pumpkin. The printing on hairball remedy tubes states that “cats love it!”, so I know that people don’t know all that much about feline tastes. Nonetheless, I will make the attempt.

I have read that a small amount of pumpkin given every day is recommended, but I have a feeling that at least some of my beasts will not like the new substance, in which case, a weekly feeding by syringe may be as much as I can expect to give. To be honest, I don’t know if that minimum would be enough to make a difference to their well-being.

I will conduct the experiment this weekend. By Sunday, my roommates will either have discovered a tasty new treat, or be in a bad mood.

11 comments:

  1. Hmm. I've never heard that. My Mac has been having some stomach troubles lately. I'll see how pumpkin goes over with him.

    Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! We stirred the canned pumpkin into their wet food, with a little additional water AND some Miralax. Mixed in like that, they ate it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, good luck with that. Mine won't touch anything with pumpkin in it, not even Weruva's shredded chicken in pumpkin broth, which is human-grade food (supposedly) and about the best I can try with them.

    You never know, your crew might pleasantly surprise you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. guyz....watch out; yur dadz tryin ta give ewe pumpkin N itz KNOT de pie kind !!!! seer ee iz lee, we due hope ya take two it with out any trubull....R gal pal Rosie who lives cross de street frumm dai$y getz a teaspoon mixed in with her canned everee day....her loves it !! ♥♥☺☺

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't had a cat yet that will eat it.

    Amen to the hairball gunk. They have let it melt off onto whatever they are on and almost raise their lip up in a snarl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A few years ago my vet recommended that I give my cats pumpkin. She told me many cats like it, so I tried it. 'Ya wanna bet!! My guys wouldn't go near it. I hope you have better luck getting your cats to eat it than I did. If so, let me know. I have a couple of cans I can send you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting, I wonder if it works on people too? Good luck with the experiment. I suspect my three wouldn't like it. They are pretty fussy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of my cat won't go near pumpkin. I tried plain pumpkin, food for cats that had pumpkin as an ingredient and Home roasted fresh pumpkin.
    No success. Like Roberta above, I have cans of veterinary pumpkin here that I can send if your guys like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anything that comes with "cats love it!" Is circumspect. But having said that the vet recommended it for my Jessie and mixed in with wet food and a bit of broth she quite liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pumpkin, huh? Hmmm, not sure on that one....

    ReplyDelete