Wednesday, August 16, 2017

The Curious Case of the Vanishing Numbers

There is something strange occurring with Parker, and it may be strange in a good way.

While I was told that his blood-glucose numbers, following his dental surgery, may be erratic, what I have found is that they are changed but regular. Because I feared an unstable glucose level, I started testing his blood prior to each insulin injection. I have discovered that in the mornings, his numbers are high (though not alarmingly; in fact, normal for Parker), quite consistently hovering about the twenty mark. This means that I give him his insulin. In the evenings, for an entire week, his numbers have been what we want them to be, between five and ten. I have not been giving him insulin after such readings. The routine for a diabetic cat is a high number in the morning, followed by a drop (due to insulin injection) to a nadir about noon, with a subsequent rise to an evening high equal to its morning counterpart. Parker has been avoiding the evening summit.

I spoke with the doctor about this. She was surprised, and prescribed another curve for Parker, so that his blood-sugar level may be observed as it changes through the day. As it happens, this weekend is the orange boy’s scheduled curve. I feel sorry for him more than usual, because not only does he have to endure a whole day of bi-hourly (and, toward noon, hourly) poking in his ears to draw blood, but he has already suffered such indignities twice a day for a week. But it must be done.


This may lead to one of two beneficent options. Parker may be kept on insulin in the morning and taken off it in the evening, which is pretty much the situation now. But such a high dose (5.5 units) once a day may be too unbalanced. Therefore, his doctor suggested that if there is a gentle incline from a morning high to an evening low, the dosage may be divided, in a manner of speaking, and be given in amounts smaller than his current dose, but twice a day.

I queried the doctor as to whether the numbers could be the result of Parker’s surgery. She had not seen such a thing happen. But I think that if diabetes may be influenced by something such as digestion of certain foods, then surely there must be an effect caused by bad teeth and infected gums, which can leak poison into the body, and an opposite effect with their removal.

However, this is speculation and, for all I know, the numbers may resume their pre-surgical amounts soon, and the whole episode turn out to be nothing more than a temporary reaction to the operation. The curve this weekend may help solve the enigma.

In any case, Parker is doing well. He was very active last night, rushing happily about the apartment to the astonishment of the other beasts. Our play-time as well saw him energetic. This may be merely in response to the healing of his wounds allowing him to feel better, but I suspect there will be some permanent advantage to the removal of so many bad teeth and the repair of so much tainted tissue. My sturdy foster-cat missed his play-time, which I placed on hiatus until he had recovered himself somewhat, and he is as purr-ful as ever. I suspect that if his numbers return, they will even so reflect a healthier, stronger animal.

17 comments:

  1. Certainly hope Parker's number stay lower! He's a handsome guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our Zoe was diagnosed as diabetic and was on insulin. Then she had 3 teeth removed, went into remission and has been fine for 2 years now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very interesting situation indeed! You'll have to update us after the weekend's curve. Regardless of what happens with his insulin, it's terrific that he feels so good and has been zooming around and playing energetically. That does your heart good, I'm sure. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was diabetic I hated testing myself! Oh poor Parker. I feel for you this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad Parker's numbers are improving. Sorry about needing the glucose curve again, but it is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It will be interesting to see what Parker's curve shows this weekend. I am not at all surprised about the change in his blood sugars, nor about his increased activity level. In diabetic humans, infections can cause problems with blood sugar regulation, so I assume the same would go for diabetic cats. Since Parker had several teeth removed, the source of infection was eliminated, so his blood sugars stabilized. After my Joey had all of his teeth removed, I noticed quite a change in his personality, his activity level, his eating, and even an improvement in his coat. So I would expect the same for Parker. After all, he's feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured infection would accetuate Parker's problems, if not his actual diabetes. At the very least, as you write, the orange fellow is feeling better.

      Delete
  7. It's interesting after reading about kitty diabetes that infections i.e.: low grade such as dental and pain can drive numbers up. His mouth may have been uncomfortable or had a low grade chronic infection of the gums which is now resolved. Or he may just be so delighted and unstressed knowing he is home again. Keep up the good work both of you. Note: 5.5 u in Parker's case raises red flags in all the caretakers of diabetic kitties. Glad you're not going with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That amount was higher than the vet wanted to give Parker, so we are still working on a healthier number for the orange boy. From the comments I've received, I think my theory that infection may have affected his diabetes may be valid. But how much he will improve now is still an open question.

      Delete
    2. Yay for Parker! Sounds like he's already feeling better!

      Delete
  8. Poor little Parker. I cannot imagine having needles and blood drawn, but he really seems to be quite tolerant of the proding. Please keep us updated after the weekend's curve test. I hope this is the start of his levels stabilizing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is quite patient with me; not as patient as Tucker, but I'm lucky with both of them.

      Delete
  9. Parker is more than fortunate to have you as his Dad...written with complete sincerity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm fortunate to have these furry roommates.

      Delete
  10. glad he is feeling better and we have high hopes for the curve this weekend....like others have expressed, it certainly sounds plausible that other issues with his teeth could affect his numbers

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is good news John! I hope Parker continues to do well and enjoy his return to playful antics

    ReplyDelete