Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Tiny But Growing

It’s about time for an update on tiny Adah, I think. She is doing well but her foster-home is suffering through a bout of ringworm. I don’t imagine there has been a rescue-group that hasn’t experienced that fungus - I think it may be an occupational hazard for people who rescue cats - but having kittens so young affected is probably rare. An older kitten from the same foster-home was tested by a veterinarian and the results are conclusive. The veterinarian will be able to treat the older baby but not Adah, as she is too young.


In the meantime, Adah is coping well enough. She is growing, and now weighs double what she did two and a half weeks ago - a whole seven ounces. I don’t know if that is light for a three week old cat, but she seems to be thriving, despite the ringworm. The milk of her surrogate-mum, Miss Mew, is being supplemented, and Adah has already expressed an interest in more solid - or at least slushy - food. She will stay with Miss Mew for plenty of time yet, and enjoy nature’s baby-food, but I think it is a good sign that she is adventurous enough to be curious about other nutrition.

Adah will be introduced to the world next week through the PAW Society’s monthly newsletter. If there is no one interested in adopting her before she leaves her surrogate-mum, she will come to live with me. But I can’t see there being no inquiries about this little sweetie, can you?

21 comments:

  1. Adah, that white tip to your tail just SLAYS me! Eat up, drink up, little one...grow big and strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! A number of people have mentioned that little tip. She's a cutie, isn't she? But then, aren't they all?

      Delete
    2. John, some are a tad bit cuter...

      Delete
  2. She is such a tiny baby. I imagine prospective adopters would likely wait till she was fully weaned and well established eating . She is a precious baby girl of whom I have grown very fond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She won't be available for adoption until after she is weaned, so no worries there.

      Delete
  3. Oh, heck, I'm guessing people will be fighting over who gets to give that little cutie a permanent home. I would, if I lived anywhere in the vicinity.

    I'm so sorry about the ringworm. Poor little Adah, she sure had a tough start to life. I've never had to deal with it myself (knock on wood!) but it sounds like it's a major headache to eradicate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a dear little heart, a precious little one. It's good she's gaining weight! Fingers and paws crossed she continues to grow and thrive, and then finds a wonderful forever home when she's ready. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. we suspect she will go quickly. suggest to the other foster to find Vetricyn spray to use on Adah....it will help with the ringworm and is safe on the littles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your update about Adah. It sounds like she is growing well. According to Google, the average weight for a 3 week old kitten is 10 ounces, so Adah is a little light, but I'm sure her weight will increase in no time. You're right about most rescue groups having outbreaks of ringworm. Unfortunately it is quite contagious and it takes awhile to get rid of it. But Adah is being well cared for, so she should be able to heal with no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. adah...look at ewe N yur gorgeouz wee self....we iz sorree bout de werm...thatz knot de kinda werm ya want; st francis' blessing two ewe it goez a way N stayz a way for good !!! thanx for sharin yur update;, we N joyed reedin it ☺☺♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is adorable, I am glad she is growing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So.... you are going to introduce Adah into your household! She will surely shake up the residents. I remember the last kitten doing just that but forget his name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was Echo. Adah will come here only if no has spoken for her by then - which I can't see.

      Delete
  10. On! she’s exquisite! I’m so glad she’s doing so well. Ringworm is so awful; it’s so contagious. There are rescues that will not accept a cat with ringworm and certain well known shelters that euthanize ringworm cats.
    Little girl is heaven on earth. Don’t you just want to scoop her husband and cover her with kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh! Where did “husband” come from in my post! It’s supposed to be “up”.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't going to mention it if you weren't... I've found that, along with some more major problems with computers and the internet recently, auto-correct has been providing some interesting alternatives.

      Delete
    2. BOY that is the total embarrassing TRUTH if I ever read it. I have had some that went on to the recipients that still make me blush!

      Delete
  12. I think there will be a line up of hopeful adopters. She is just so sweet. She seems to a strong fighter. Thank you so much for updating us on dear Adah.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I suspect she'll have a line of folks wanting to take her. What a cutie! I sure hope the ringworm clears up soon.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete