Saturday, November 10, 2018

Toothless Days Ahead



Tucker’s dental surgery is scheduled for Thursday morning. I initially thought that his blood and urine test results would not come back until early next week, and so set his operation late enough in the week for the results to return but early enough to consult the doctor if I had questions after the surgery. When the test results were reported unexpectedly fast, I tried to re-arrange the operation for earlier but there were no openings.

So my roly poly will have to endure his discomfort for several more days. This is distressing for me, now that I am aware of his painful condition. But by the end of five days, Tucker will be on the slow but sure path to recovery. The good news is that examination of his blood and urine demonstrated that there are no problems related to those fluids. His kidneys are in very good shape, his heart and lungs are healthy.

I want to thank everyone for their best wishes for Tucker’s well-being, just as they had expressed their hopes for Raleigh’s recovery. I especially wish to give my thanks for offers of and suggestions for monetary help. These are greatly appreciated; it is gratifying to know that the beasts I live with are so highly valued by people who have never met them, but know of them only through my blog. While I can’t accept such offers (I think I would feel guilty over accepting funds when there are those with beloved pets in worse financial conditions), believe me that I am grateful.

I will keep everyone informed of Tucker’s situation as it progresses. I believe your thoughts are helpful and valuable; they were sent while Raleigh was under-going his dental ordeal, and he is rebounding strongly. His appetite is good, and he is spending more time out among the other cats.

Things are improving, and what hasn’t improved yet, will soon.

11 comments:

  1. I wonder if your vet has any type of insurance plan? I pay $30 a month here, and it covered Poppys dental surgery two years ago. It also covers her yearly check up and blood tests, which are pricey (one of my friends paid $450 a week ago for her cats blood test). I know that with 6 cats it would probably be too expensive per month.

    I am glad that Tucker will be sorted out this week. Poor boy, hopefully he will feel better when his teeth are out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will have fingers and paws crossed for Tucker on Thursday.

    I had thought of suggesting "Go Fund Me" or e-transfer or some such, but wasn't sure that would offend you. I've been on the receiving end of a cat blogosphere auction, years ago, for Derry's first dental. That was extremely, and I do mean extremely, difficult for me to accept, but the bill was over $1200 and I didn't have it. People are amazingly kind and generous, and even small amounts add up. If you're ever in a position where you do need assistance with vet bills, please try to swallow pride and reach out. People *want* to help. And I think all of us pay it forward, which only extends the circle of kindness and love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can’t remember if you’ve mentioned this but could you get some pain medication to hold Tucker over until Thursday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had thought of that before the weekend.

      Delete
  4. I am glad that Tucker's blood and urine results came back good. That is one less thing to worry about. I know you worry about having to wait until Thursday to get his teeth sorted out, but look at it this way. This time next week he will be 3 days on his road to recovery and will soon be feeling so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll second what Kia said. We all need help on occasion, and by helping others we "pay back" those who helped us when we needed it. Meanwhile, I'm so glad to hear Raleigh is recovering nicely, and paws and fingers are crossed that Tucker will be feeling much better after his surgery on Thursday. Please keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I concur with the others, don't be afraid to put a hand out as you've done so much to help out the many cats who have come to you, either temporarily or permanently. When many come together, we only need to give a little to give us much as you have.

    Thoughts and purrs for Tucker. And you too, as I know how worrisome it can be to wait for a loved one to come through surgery.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will be praying that all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am thinking of you and Tucker. I do hope his dental surgery goes well and he is more comfortable afterwards. I know medical expenses for our beloved felines can be very expensive. Holly had many tests, vet visits and medications in September and October.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I simply LOVE this image of Tucker! Look at that face! What a cutie! Sending all the hugs and purrs I can from frosty Michigan to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The very best of luck to Tucker and to you tomorrow. We'll be thinking of him and keeping a candle burning (LED candle, that is!).

    ReplyDelete