Thursday, June 2, 2016

A Heated Discussion



The weather in southern Alberta is now more than vernal, with plenty of sun and warmth. My cats are typical in that they like a little sunshine on their furs. But my two girls like a lot of sunshine.


Josie and Cammie are my warm-weather pets. Whenever there is a sunbeam shining into the apartment, one of them will find it. The princess enjoys the yellow warmth so much that she will even bear the Great White’s proximity for its feel. I have often asked how a feline, with its fur-coat, can not only stand such additional warmth, but crave it.


That is not all. I of course had the heating pads plugged in and installed in the cat-beds through the cold months. I removed the heating elements a while ago but returned them when the temperature dropped and the rain fell. I haven’t taken them out once more. And the girls are grateful for it. On days of 25° Celsius (77° Fahrenheit), I will find them in their respective beds (each has her favourite) soaking up the warmth from below, just as the sun provides it from above.


But, as Tennyson wrote, “Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do whatever the blasted cats want.” I may be paraphrasing.

9 comments:

  1. Your paraphrase of Tennyson was so true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! I think I'm going to have a hot flash just reading this. LOL. Annie would bake in the sun on the hottest days too, but she never experienced the pleasure of baking both front and back at the same time! Cammie and Josie ARE "beach babes" for certain! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Charge of the Cat Brigade!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hay ewe gals......de onlee sun soaker heer now iz me; boomer

    chalk it up ta age ore de fact eye just crave heet....wher ever de sun iz....thatz wher ewe will find me

    de thermom can reeds 92 & with de humidatee..... de heet index could bee 190 in de shade.....but eye will stay lay in de sun !!! ☺☺☺

    heerz two a stoneroller minnow kinda week oh end two everee one♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. truer words have never been spoken. we often wonder how Mozart can sleep in that kind of sunlight without baking to a solid mass :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is amazing how much sun and heat a cat will seek out. Flynn would sleep in the greenhouse on the hottest days and not want to move. However, since he developed hyperthyroidism he cannot stand the heat for long and seeks out the shady places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd learned that hyperthyroidic cats feel too warm. It's strange, then, that my Tungsten still loved her heated cat-bed after becoming hyperthyroidic; but then, she was always very thin. Poor Flynn, losing one of loves: a warm bed.

      Delete
  7. Your paraphrase of the quote is so true!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have a nice seat in front of each front window and can catch the rays or move to the couch when we are sated
    Timmy and Family

    ReplyDelete