Friday, June 3, 2016

My Popeye



It seems, sometimes, that not a day goes by without something happening here. And, usually, what is happening is happening to Tucker.

The poor roly poly has had more than his share of health problems, and here is another. Tuesday afternoon, I noticed that Tucker’s right eye was looking wrong. Upon closer examination, I found that its third eyelid covered about a third of the eye. You can probably see it better if you click on the photographs below to enlarge them.


I consulted with others in the rescue-group to which I belong. They are very knowledgeable in feline matters, and I was told that what I was looking at was called Horner’s Syndrome. From what I have learned, it is a symptom, rather than a condition in itself. Frustratingly, there are a number of possible causes, some of which are serious, others of which, though hardly trivial, are less frightening.

So far, Tucker’s eye problem has not ameliorated itself. Today, I called one of the veterinarians at our hospital, and spoke with her about Tucker. She was not alarmed and advised that I wait out the weekend; possibly, I should wait a full week since the onset of Horner’s, before I bring Tucker in for an examination.

After eliminating some potential causes, I feel that the only other aspect of Tucker’s health right now that may have a bearing upon his latest trouble is that he seems to have a very mild respiratory issue. It is not as bad as the cold he suffered a while ago, but I have noticed that his right nostril (note that it is the same side as his affected eye) is crusty, probably with dried mucous. As well, the roly poly one, while grooming and eating, is making disgusting, slobbery noises similar to those he created when he had a cold.

It is a matter of waiting right now. I will see how the weekend goes. Tucker is not suffering in any other way that I can see. He is eating well, ready to play with me, and is his normal cheerful self. I realise that cats hide their ailments well, but I see no sign that he is in urgent need of medical care. I am nonetheless glad that I have a remaining week to my holidays, and can observe him through most of each day to come.


Tucker is the next of my beasts to be featured in the upcoming PAW Society calendar (they being photographed in the order in which I adopted them), so I hope he is recovered before his photo session. This reminds me of school picture day. How many of us had some unsightly blemish that arrived just in time to be recorded permanently, to our mortification? That little kid with the acne, or cold sore, or bad haircut? That’s Tucker.

13 comments:

  1. I had not heard of Horner's Syndrome so googled it. In his photo it does not appear as if Tucker's pupil is also dilated, so hopefully the third eyelid is only showing because he is a bit under the weather from his respiratory infection.
    I know the feeling of blemishes that arrive at the wrong time. I got a cold sore on my lip the day before my wedding. Even though I managed to conceal it well I knew it was there and could see it in the photos even though others said they couldn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, his right pupil is dilated, so something is going on. I am hoping it is relatively harmless.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, I should have written that the pupil is contracted, so it does appear to be Horner's. I will watch him in the coming week.

      Delete
  2. Poor Tucker, he's such a love and he's been through so much. Tons of purrs from us that this remedies itself, no medical intervention required. Hugs and smooches to him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tucker darling, what a bad piece of luck. You look handsome nonetheless my dear and you are most fortunate that your Dad can observe you closely all through the week. I hope you are better quickly. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, poor Tucker! The Fur-kids and I hope you feel better very soon. Please keep us posted on his progress, John!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Recently one other cat (Freya on Covered in Cat Hair) had Horner's Syndrome, and it took quite a while to go away but it was harmless, nevertheless, worrisome to the soul of the beloved cat pawrent though! Big purrs for Tucker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I will check in with Covered in Cat Hair and see if I can chat with them about it.

      Delete
  6. Oh no, my poor Tucker. You have had too many health problems for one cat (and one devoted human) to suffer. I do hope this proves to be nothing serious. From Eileen and Holly

    ReplyDelete
  7. We send purrs and prayers for Tucker to recover fast and completely!
    Oh my you reminded Dad of his 8th grade school photos. He totally forgot about them and wore a plain shirt. Then there was a big pimple that puffed up a chipmonk cheek overnight. Ah middle school. So glad Cats do not have that to enjoy.
    Purrs to Tucker and you all.
    Timmy, Dad and Family

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor Tucker! I hope it is simply a cold and he'll be over it soon. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. dood.....

    P) ya look handsum az ever

    5) ya noe how manee yeer bookz R foto shopped...rhetorical questshun buddy & look at de werd we just used ☺☺

    S) me; tuna, eye get a wonkee eye seems like once a yeer; then it waterz, then getz better.....dunno if itz from my groomin, ore air born

    3) we all send R pal Franks blessings.....♥♥♥...hope everee thingz aye oh kay ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tucker is a cutie- definitely should be on a calendar.

    ReplyDelete